LW Maxime Comtois (2017, 50th, ANA)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Stupid suspension. He should have gotten at least 25 games and arguably should have sat the rest of the season. That type of play has no place in hockey, and especially not in a development league with teenagers.

I have more of a problem with a play like that than a dirty hit. At least with a dirty hit you can say the guy was trying to separate the puck carrier. There is literally no point to a play like that. Just stupid and dangerous

Reactions: 99664987

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I have no idea what that guy was trying to achieve by punching Comtois while he's laying on the ice. What an idiot. Suspension should be longer.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think the league decided on 15 games because Roy is 20 and Shawinigan can't replace him in the lineup with another 20 yo player as long as he is suspended.

15 games is 1/4 of a season, which can seem longer when it's your last season in junior hockey.

But I agree it should have been longer.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's something you can't know before handing a suspension.
What happened is completely disgusting but I'm not sure where the expectation that the suspension was going to be longer is coming from.
This isn't an exceptionally risky or reckless play. It's aggravated assault plain and simple. This goes well beyond a typically suspendable play. Comtois was defenseless and exposed. Roy demonstrated zero restraint knowing this.

Sure we don't know what this means for Comtois but if it does end his career, and it very easily could, 15 games off from hockey isn't gonna mean shit. Maybe Roy didn't intend to injure Comtois but he certainly intended to cause him significant harm. There's a difference between fighting...hell there's a difference between sucker punching a guy and slamming someone not wearing a helmet into the ice headfirst with all your might. Even Bertuzzi wasn't so malicious in what he did to Steve Moore.

As has been said repeatedly, if this happened off the ice we wouldn't be talking about missing time from work. We'd be talking about the length of prison time served. And if I was Comtois I'd sue Roy for damages. Not sure if he has recourse given this happened in the course of a sporting event, and from what I understand Moore didn't recover much from Bertuzzi, but I would if the injury was significant enough.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For stupid shit the suspensions should be ''as long as the injured player is out'' + '' x amount of games''

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hope Comtois gets better from this. From the sounds of things Roy made a very stupid play here, hope it doesn't affect Comtois long term.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Don't know why the league is so soft on this type of stuff. 15 games is pathetic and is a small price to pay for the intent and damage that he caused.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
15 games isn't enough regardless of the circumstances .. I would just say your season is over... go play hockey somewhere else

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
I in no way condone this act and fully believe the suspension should have been much more, but the term 'live by the sword...' comes to mind. Comtois plays on the edge and has developed himself a dislike among his peers. This Roy clown saw an opportunity for some retribution and took it. Hope Comtois gets back to full health soon and changes the way he plays a little, and I hope Roy doesn't play Junior hockey again.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think I've ever felt this much anger for something that's related to hockey. This is beyond disgusting.

One thing I've wondered for a while now is any league's unwillingness to throw the book at someone whose actions cross all the lines. If there's a player who literally assaulted someone on the ice, why isn't he permanently banned from that league?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I in no way condone this act and fully believe the suspension should have been much more, but the term 'live by the sword...' comes to mind. Comtois plays on the edge and has developed himself a dislike among his peers. This Roy clown saw an opportunity for some retribution and took it. Hope Comtois gets back to full health soon and changes the way he plays a little, and I hope Roy doesn't play Junior hockey again.

Are you f***ing serious? There is a difference in hockey "justice" and trying to f***ing kill someone. I know you are not saying it is okay, but dont even try to justify this.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
15 games isn't enough regardless of the circumstances .. I would just say your season is over... go play hockey somewhere else

Well, he couldn't play anywhere else in Canada except maybe his dad's beer league. A suspension given in the CHL has to be served even if he leaves for any other league under its umbrella.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I really liked Comtois. Hoped Ottawa could snag him.

Super exposed and sucked puncher. 15 games isn't unreasonable, i'd have preferred 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->