LW Maxime Comtois (2017, 50th, ANA)

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Draft is too poor for him not to go in the top 60.

This draft is actually pretty intriguing to me. There are going to be busts all over the place but plenty of surprises as well. There are a lot of NHL players in the first two rounds. Lacks elite talent but so many prospects with at least one standout skill.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think Comtois is a crap shoot at all really, not that I'd reach on him beyond the later 1st (and GMs love safe size, so one might). He just kind of is what he is. I still think he has a high NHL floor, and *shoulder shrug* NHL ceiling. I believe he's been about a point/per game over his last 30 games fwiw. He started off so poorly scoring-wise; his position and role has been switched frequently this year; and his oft linemate Laberge is having his own nightmare season, after both were 1-2 on Victoriaville in scoring last year. But he's never been a player that has to pile up points to make his impact felt. He's just a good hockey player, in the truest sense.

I don't think he's remarkable at anything in particular, except perhaps his hockey IQ, but I also don't think he has a ton of weaknesses either. I know his skating gets knocked for example, but even that is ok IMO and seems improvable and mostly just his first couple steps. Hands aren't great, but they're fine. I just haven't really had a subpar viewing of him when I've seen him -- he's consistent and very much you get what you expect. When I've seen him at center, I thought he did quite admirably there, though I don't know if I'd project him as one, but he's just versatile like that. He seems like the kind of guy that could be a middle 6 "glue" forward, at all-strengths, doing a lot of the 200 ft grinding dirty work, or even play up and down if needed. If a realistic high bar for him is to be a versatile 20/20 guy, that still has a lot of value.

Well said.

I think a bit too much is being made of his disappointing stats. He's essentially been PPG since ~December. Just a really poor start dragging his season totals through the mud mostly. PPG may still be a bit disappointing relative to inflated expectations coming into the season, but for a guy with such a projectable all-around skillset, it's really not so bad.

I think we're just seeing this year that he's probably not going to be the type of player who really drives the bus on an NHL Top-6 scoring line. But he also seems to have the sort of skillset to be a really good complementary Top-9 sort of piece. Up and down the lineup, center or wing as needed. He's smart, with size and enough skill, vision, goal-scoring ability to play with more dynamic offensive players in a very complementary way. Works the corners, takes care of his own end, gets the puck to linemates, gets to the net - just does what you want from a complementary player.

As a projection comp, i could see him becoming a Brock Nelson type player. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to get out of this draft at all.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
What happened?

1. Poor start
2. Inconsistent player
3. Dissapointing season
4. Seems to play great around great players, but on his own he isn't spectacular (he is not carrying the team)
5. Overhyped a bit

Conclusion: He is going late 1st

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
9 goals in his first 7 games of the season to lead the league in two less games played. Has Anaheim drafted Sam Steel Part II?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
9 goals in his first 7 games of the season to lead the league in two less games played. Has Anaheim drafted Sam Steel Part II?

Doubt it, he is shooting at 45% literally he doesn't shoot the puck enough to sustain those stats.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Doubt it, he is shooting at 45% literally he doesn't shoot the puck enough to sustain those stats.

I don't think he will be able to keep up a goal a game pace obviously, and those stats back that up. Still a great start for a kid who was once pretty highly regarded.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Good to see the hot start.
The Ducks have some nice forwards coming in the next couple years.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At the 50 spot cant really complain about this pick... he has a good skill set... hopefully he can show a little more now that hes drafted.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
The opponent must have thought Comtois hit him low from behind on purpose or something, rather than being pushed down. Regardless, should be looking at a lengthy suspension.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jesus. You do something like that off the ice and you could easily do time and be subject to civil damages. That's not a regular fight. That's vicious assault and battery.

Reactions: 99664987

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That guy literally could have killed him. Hope he's banned forever. Competely idiotic behavior.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
No place in the game for that garbage that's for sure. It's a shame to see a kid turning his play around this year go down like that. Looked like he was really coming into his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->