LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kristian Vesalainen - Karpat (Liiga)

Vesalainen was loaned to Karpat last week and made an immediate impact by scoring in his first game. The Jets' 2017 first round pick has 40 points (20G, 20G) in 45 games in Liiga this season with Karpat and HPK. He's 17th in Liiga scoring and is the top scorer of the 66 U20 players that have played at least a game in Liiga this season. Vesalainen is one of five players in Liiga that have scored 20 goals this season.

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Report

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
1+1 today. Nice crossice pass on the PP and another world class shot from the faceoff-dot

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine on one side and Vesalainen on the other (one shooting from the left and the other from the right doesn't hurt either). I might not even care who was in the middle. Just imagine the size of these guys in five years. The line could look scary.

He's looked really good though and one thing I've especially enjoyed is the pressure on the offensive zone he has managed to create with Kupari (with one being 17 and the other 18 normally you can't expect too many lapses in the o-zone at this level). They were entrusted a lots of minutes even at the very last minutes in the HIFK game. Nice vouch of confidence by the management. Kristian has a nasty shot on top of everything else. Not much not to like to be honest. Reminds me of Rantanen a bit, with maybe lesser hockey IQ but potentially better scoring abilities. Not a level I'm expecting him to reach but one can hope.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I think a majority of teams he would but the Jets are the deepest team on the Wing in the league, so I highly doubt it. However if he does make it he is the real deal.
If he is the real deal then he would make it regardless of depth :)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If he is the real deal then he would make it regardless of depth :)

Well yeah, I’m just saying if he can come in and blow the doors off the Jets team than yeah I think he’s more than likely the real deal, if he doesn’t than it will just take another season to see if he is.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Well yeah, I’m just saying if he can come in and blow the doors off the Jets team than yeah I think he’s more than likely the real deal, if he doesn’t than it will just take another season to see if he is.
I know what you mean. If he's not in the NHL, does he play in AHL or does he stay in Europe for one more season?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I know what you mean. If he's not in the NHL, does he play in AHL or does he stay in Europe for one more season?

Initially I thought he would stay in Europe but he supposedly he says he’s coming to NA next season. I’d say it’s a 50/50 if you ask me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My goodness. The reaction to his goal is like the reactions to some of Laine's goals... "wow!"

He looks like another big, fast and talented forward to add to the Jets.

I doubt he'd play on the same PP as Laine. More likely he plays on the 2nd PP which is "left" dominant, with Ehlers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Most Finns require an adjustment period to NA hockey. I hope the Jets give him the foundation. This guy looks like a player. Still shocked he somehow made it to #24 in a draft not billed as overwhelming. Jets have an uncanny knack for having players fall into their rich laps.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Most Finns require an adjustment period to NA hockey. I hope the Jets give him the foundation. This guy looks like a player. Still shocked he somehow made it to #24 in a draft not billed as overwhelming. Jets have an uncanny knack for having players fall into their rich laps.
Yeah, it's kinda puzzling he fell. Same with Tolvanen. Head scratchers.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He's having a seriously impressive season. Seems like he's hit the ground running with Kärpät and has developed some chemistry with Kupari.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
There should be more buzz about him. I think his season is just as impressive (or almost as) as Tolvanen's yet the latter is getting so much more buzz, not undeservedly.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I like Tolvanen’s season slightly better. That being stated, Vesalainen is putting up the best season ever for an U19 in the Liga.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Can't believe this guy doesn't get more attention. He seems to have had a very strong year. I assume he will challenge hard for a roster spot next season. Big and skilled seems to fit the Jets perfectly.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Can't believe this guy doesn't get more attention. He seems to have had a very strong year. I assume he will challenge hard for a roster spot next season. Big and skilled seems to fit the Jets perfectly.
I think all the Finnish prospects fans have exhausted themselves raving about Tolvanen, they've nothing left in the tank.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think all the Finnish prospects fans have exhausted themselves raving about Tolvanen, they've nothing left in the tank.
Yeah, I've seen that almost everyone else is underrated or people just think they are not interesting enough to be talked about. Heponiemi thread has also been quite quiet after he didn't score 4 points after every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->