LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Looking forward of seeing whether they play him in Kupari's line or somewhere else entirely. It's going to be rather long wait as the next game is next Tuesday.
A bit torn about Kristian being drafted by the Jets. If it's difficult to find ice time for Laine as it is, what's it going to be like with him. And this is coming from someone that actually likes the team.

How this kid didn't make it to the Olympic team was lunatic. They had one or two forwards capable of scoring goals and look at how that went. Vesalainen would have been a much needed addition to the roster, but the management was just clueless yet again.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really hope they go for more depth next season. If Vesalainen does have the skill to make it next season with this roster look out NHL.

Ehlers Scheifele Roslovic
Connor Little Wheeler
Vesalainen Lowry Laine
Perreault Hendricks Armia

I'd like to tighten up the 4th C spot. But that would be a difficult and deep top 12 for any team to handle in the NHL. The size, speed, and skill combination looks good, very good.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Looking forward of seeing whether they play him in Kupari's line or somewhere else entirely. It's going to be rather long wait as the next game is next Tuesday.
A bit torn about Kristian being drafted by the Jets. If it's difficult to find ice time for Laine as it is, what's it going to be like with him. And this is coming from someone that actually likes the team.

How this kid didn't make it to the Olympic team was lunatic. They had one or two forwards capable of scoring goals and look at how that went. Vesalainen would have been a much needed addition to the roster, but the management was just clueless yet again.
Seeing how things went Vesalainen should have absolutely been in the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Jets traded down from 13 to save from losing a player on their roster during the expansion draft. At the moment, I can only see one player they may have taken over Vesalainen. Perhaps Suzuki. Who ironically may have been Bryan Little's successor. I am not sure they were interested in drafting more D men. If they had Foote would have been the logical choice. But right now, I think a case can be made all 3 of these players are in the same tier of value.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'd like to tighten up the 4th C spot. But that would be a difficult and deep top 12 for any team to handle in the NHL. The size, speed, and skill combination looks good, very good.

I actually hope Chevy takes a look at Kupari and put in some real consideration while he plays with Vesalainen, I’m more afraid of how Little will dip in the future after seeing him fall quite a bit this season. On the point of Vesalainen, I just want to see how Vesalainen plays a whole game(rather than watching highlights) and how he’d look in the Top 9 this season. I am pretty high on Hendricks and I personally like his game and his work ethic(Maurice’s love for Old Workers is running off on me), obviously he will likely be out in 2 seasons time though.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The Jets traded down from 13 to save from losing a player on their roster during the expansion draft. At the moment, I can only see one player they may have taken over Vesalainen. Perhaps Suzuki. Who ironically may have been Bryan Little's successor. I am not sure they were interested in drafting more D men. If they had Foote would have been the logical choice. But right now, I think a case can be made all 3 of these players are in the same tier of value.

I think they would had chosen Liljegren(I wasn’t to found of Foote, I thought he was gonna be going near the bottom end of the 1st) over Vesalainen but currently Vesalainen looks like the better prospect, Suzuki is great and might seem a bit better but Vesalainen is 5 inches taller with nearly 30 pounds on Suzuki while playing in a men’s league.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think they would had chosen Liljegren(I wasn’t to found of Foote, I thought he was gonna be going near the bottom end of the 1st) over Vesalainen but currently Vesalainen looks like the better prospect, Suzuki is great and might seem a bit better but Vesalainen is 5 inches taller with nearly 30 pounds on Suzuki while playing in a men’s league.

It certainly worked out for Chevy to still get a guy he had rated in the grouping of the 13 pick. There is a certain fate to this happening. 2 Finns in Winnipeg following Selanne playing in Winnipeg.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Scored a goal, pretty good shot :sarcasm: Nice setup by Kupari as well.

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Indeed nice by Kupari, the goal was 90% for his effort. Kupari haters here will be quiet about it tho for sure.

Well, it was a nice zone entry, but in all fairness this doesn't convert into a goal 90% of the time. It is actually pretty much the other way around, maybe 10% at best, Vesalainen sniped it, the credit goes to him, its not like he was setting up an empty netter there.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Well, it was a nice zone entry, but in all fairness this doesn't convert into a goal 90% of the time. It is actually pretty much the other way around, maybe 10% at best, Vesalainen sniped it, the credit goes to him, its not like he was setting up an empty netter there.
Well it was a slight exaggeration I admit, but he made that play to happen. The hate on Kupari is annoying me. What comes to Vesalainen; I think he is everything that Puljujärvi was thought to be. Not saying Pulju won't produce at a good rate in the NHL some day, but I see Vesalainen to simply have more raw skill and thus bigger potential.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Laine, Tolvanen and now Vesalainen... since when has Finland become the hotbed of world class snipers? I remeber a few years ago we couldn't produce even a pinch of goalscoring talent in this country and now we seem to have more than plenty. Is it just me or does Finland only generate certain type of players at a time? It used to be about the high energy grinder type, then the goalies, then the playmaking 2-way forward, and now snipers. I'm assuming Miro Heiskanen is the harbinger of the next wave of finnish players - the smooth skating 2-way defenseman.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Laine, Tolvanen and now Vesalainen... since when has Finland become the hotbed of world class snipers? I remeber a few years ago we couldn't produce even a pinch of goalscoring talent in this country and now we seem to have more than plenty. Is it just me or does Finland only generate certain type of players at a time? It used to be about the high energy grinder type, then the goalies, then the playmaking 2-way forward, and now snipers. I'm assuming Miro Heiskanen is the harbinger of the next wave of finnish players - the smooth skating 2-way defenseman.
4 Finnish dmen were drafted in the 1st round last summer, I think it's false to claim that only snipers are coming out right now. Rantanen and Aho are playmaking wingers too. Wingers and defenders in general seem to be a trending thing right now.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Indeed nice by Kupari, the goal was 90% for his effort. Kupari haters here will be quiet about it tho for sure.
It's just a zone entry play. That's not even a high % chance that he set up. Sheesh.

This goal was all Vesalainen.

4 Finnish dmen were drafted in the 1st round last summer, I think it's false to claim that only snipers are coming out right now. Rantanen and Aho are playmaking wingers too. Wingers and defenders in general seem to be a trending thing right now.
Aho is not a playmaking winger. He's a 1:1 player, or a goal-scorer.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
It's just a zone entry play. That's not even a high % chance that he set up. Sheesh.

This goal was all Vesalainen.

Aho is not a playmaking winger. He's a 1:1 player, or a goal-scorer.
He split up the defence there by himself with his speed. Aho is more of a playmaking winger than he is a sniper, he knows how to score goals too tho. Same with Rantanen.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Finland currently has some amazing young talent . Is there a reason behind this ? Don't recall them having such a widespread & talented group . Future is very bright indeed for Finnish hockey.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Finland currently has some amazing young talent . Is there a reason behind this ? Don't recall them having such a widespread & talented group . Future is very bright indeed for Finnish hockey.
Like 10 years ago the coaching in Finland started to focus more on individual skill rather than team play. I bet someone has more information about this but I just remember reading it somewhere

Reactions: Weiss1604

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
People above me have answered already, but at some point in the 2000's there were more Danish young NHL players than Finns. The hockey bosses figured out that something was going wrong and took action.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

We got rid of fair play garbage and started to pay attention to skill.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

How about the fact that the Jets wherent even a team 5 seasons ago and the Thrashers had no 30+ Goalscorers, now the Jets have 4 on pace for 30+ Goals(all under 25yrs old) and a prospect ready to come in and do so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad