LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2015, 135th, MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Because it's the best league in the world, and jobs are earned, not handed out. If KK thinks he will bump a Granlund, Nino, or Coyle off a line because of what he has done in the KHL then he might as well stay at home.

Who are you again?

Reactions: Atas2000

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Because it's the best league in the world, and jobs are earned, not handed out. If KK thinks he will bump a Granlund, Nino, or Coyle off a line because of what he has done in the KHL then he might as well stay at home.

Can't believe that this has to be explained.

You are oversimplifying things a lot if you don't think that a player of Kaprizov's calibre can demand certain assurances as conditions to coming over. If he's going to get the Shipachyov treatment then, yes, he might as well stay at home. It is in the Wild's interest to find a middle ground where he's promised enough that he knows he isn't headed for the AHL if he has a slump or takes some time to transition.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Still a top 5 prospect? I haven't had a chance to watch him a single time this season.
Top 5? Yes. But for who? Many would agree he's the best player not in the NHL, but Kovalchuk might differ in his opinion.
Easy to pick on Fletcher right now, but the idea that Kaprizov could be lured while on a contract is interesting if true. I don't know if it's true.

They'd have to negotiate a buyout, I'm guessing. It's all about the money.

Isn't that illegal? Doesn't the player have to buy the contract out, without NHL money? I'm not asking you to be the authority on it, but that's what I've been told before by regular viewers of the KHL. In any case, I doubt the Wild have been completely uninterested in any of the Russian's they've drafted (I mean, really? Why would they draft them then, in the first place?), but I think there's a middle ground where the Wild and their Russian prospects need to "meet". Whatever that means, I'm not exactly sure.

I do think it's promising that Kaprizov has reached out to an agent that is more well known to broker between the NHL and KHL than his previous one, however. Again, whatever that means.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You are oversimplifying things a lot if you don't think that a player of Kaprizov's calibre can demand certain assurances as conditions to coming over. If he's going to get the Shipachyov treatment then, yes, he might as well stay at home. It is in the Wild's interest to find a middle ground where he's promised enough that he knows he isn't headed for the AHL if he has a slump or takes some time to transition.

The Wild is a good organization, for the most part. They want what KK wants...for him to succeed at the highest level. They will be thrilled if he comes in and produces right away. However, they will not and should not treat him differently than any other talented prospect. Zucker, Haula, Dumba, and Nino saw limited time in their first couple years because they did not play a 200' game. Brodin and Granlund got plenty of TOI almost from the get go. They played some AHL, but KK will likely not need any because of his time spent in the KHL.

If KK comes in and is not a factor right away, while Kunin, Greenway and Ek(other players around his age) are killing it, let alone, Zucker, Coyle, Nino, Parise, etc., do you still think he should get ice time over them? In cases like that, a skilled young player is better off playing top minutes (1st line + PP)down in the AHL adjusting his game rather than playing on a NHL 4th line with his face getting pressed against the glass. Throwing a young player right into the thick of things before he is ready is what poor organizations do, often ruining them.

Everyone on HFB was so quick to criticize McPhee before a puck was even dropped. Mebbe he knows a little bit more than we do about hockey.

I don't get why this is so difficult. I feel like the Wild are trying to beg Lindros or Lemieux to come and play over here. Koivu, Granlund, and Brodin were all highly regarded prospects. I don't recall MN having to go through the same drama getting them to come over from Europe and play here.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Isn't that illegal? Doesn't the player have to buy the contract out, without NHL money? I'm not asking you to be the authority on it, but that's what I've been told before by regular viewers of the KHL.

My understanding has been that only the third season of Kap's contract is subject to buyout (2019-20). But Eronko seems to be implying that Kap can be had even sooner, and I'm not sure why.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The Wild is a good organization, for the most part. They want what KK wants...for him to succeed at the highest level. They will be thrilled if he comes in and produces right away. However, they will not and should not treat him differently than any other talented prospect. Zucker, Haula, Dumba, and Nino saw limited time in their first couple years because they did not play a 200' game. Brodin and Granlund got plenty of TOI almost from the get go. They played some AHL, but KK will likely not need any because of his time spent in the KHL.

If KK comes in and is not a factor right away, while Kunin, Greenway and Ek(other players around his age) are killing it, let alone, Zucker, Coyle, Nino, Parise, etc., do you still think he should get ice time over them? In cases like that, a skilled young player is better off playing top minutes (1st line + PP)down in the AHL adjusting his game rather than playing on a NHL 4th line with his face getting pressed against the glass. Throwing a young player right into the thick of things before he is ready is what poor organizations do, often ruining them.

Everyone on HFB was so quick to criticize McPhee before a puck was even dropped. Mebbe he knows a little bit more than we do about hockey.

I don't get why this is so difficult. I feel like the Wild are trying to beg Lindros or Lemieux to come and play over here. Koivu, Granlund, and Brodin were all highly regarded prospects. I don't recall MN having to go through the same drama getting them to come over from Europe and play here.

There may not be much drama outside of what's being created in the media and among fans. He has choices to make, the Wild have choices to make, they can negotiate to find a path that is mutually beneficial or go separate ways. I'm just saying that coming to an agreement might involve some assurances from the Wild. Why would he want to play in the AHL?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There may not be much drama outside of what's being created in the media and among fans. He has choices to make, the Wild have choices to make, they can negotiate to find a path that is mutually beneficial or go separate ways. I'm just saying that coming to an agreement might involve some assurances from the Wild. Why would he want to play in the AHL?
Fletcher's already made assurances along those lines. I believe Kaprizov is effectively guaranteed an NHL spot when he comes over, which is not something the Wild have (publicly) offered prospects in the past. It doesn't seem like the two parties really have any obvious disagreements, it's just the communication that has been poor.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are dealing with these issues right now on the Rangers with a similarly aged Russian who was also very highly touted out of the KHL, so I feel qualified to talk about it.

Kaprizov needs to come in and be guaranteed a top 9 spot right away. You don't want him on the fourth line, that won't do anyone any good. Skilled young players in their first few seasons should not have to carry a line, and should not be playing such inconsistent roles. I don't think its asking a lot to guarantee him a top 9 spot. Maybe not necessarily guarantee it, but make it known that it would be very unlikely he won't be in the top 9. And the whole "transition" thing is overblown. Its definitely a big transition, but its not such a big transition that he'll lose his hockey ability while learning the NHL game.

Unless you have an innovative coach, the coach will probably give him a lesser role than he deserves, and he'll be stereotyped by the coach and some fans as bad defensively. The performance likely won't matter, unless you guys have a ton of injuries or an innovative coach. The bigger role will likely come as the team needs to rely on Kaprizov. People can claim that he can't be guaranteed anything or he's some unknown, but like 95% chance Kaprizov is no less than a second line forward in the NHL. He's already shown equivalent ability or better in the KHL. Most prospects at Kaprizov's age who are very good in other leagues are able to translate it to the NHL. The prospects who bust are usually much younger players who were never that good, and were overhyped.

So I think this is mostly going to be a non-issue. Kaprizov will almost certainly earn a top 9 role, whether he's guaranteed it or not. He'll likely push the team's players out of their roles eventually because a player of his caliber will likely be a 1st line forward or better. Not all the Wild's Wingers are that, they'll get the veteran benefit of the doubt early on, but unless your management is completely stupid, Kaprizov's role should increase with each year. It usually works like that. What you don't want to do is make too big of a deal over the transitioning to NA thing, and make that out to be a bigger problem than it is, which angers him, and sends him back to Russia.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

We can fit Kaprizov in the top 9 fairly easily. Let's say Zucker gets re-signed (likely), and Parise is close to 100% healthy (possibility) and Kaprizov finds a way to come over:

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund (hopefully Koivu gets his shit figured out sometime this year)
Nino - Staal - Kaprizov
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Coyle

Then you have Kunin either getting 4th line time at the NHL level or 1st line time at the AHL level + 1st call up.

Playing with Nino and Staal is an excellent spot to put him in right off the bat and you can shade that line towards more offensive opportunities because of the other two line should be so reliable defensively, and it doesn't really matter whether you want to call it the "1st line", "2nd line" or "3rd line".

Reactions: FVM

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My understanding has been that only the third season of Kap's contract is subject to buyout (2019-20). But Eronko seems to be implying that Kap can be had even sooner, and I'm not sure why.
I didn't think he could come over till 2019-20 at the earliest, either. So either he knows more than we do, or he has no clue what he is talking about.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
this is a moot point, the current version of the Wild has plenty of room. Maybe last year when we had Haula, Pominville and Tuch knocking on the door. But our depth has taken a hit and none of Eriksson Ek, Kunin or Greenway were able to secure a scoring line spot.

As it stands now, KK would be guaranteed big minutes. The guy is a monster, his track record as a prospect blows away anyone the Wild have brought over. And his skillet is sorely needed.

I do think that he deserves to be treated the same as the rest of our blue-chip players, but unlike Granlund/Brodin/Coyle he is going to be brought in purely for offense. Even Granlund, a big time offensive talent in his own right, was known by most observers to have a two-way game. He is a Finn, after all. KK is going to be an offensive mercenary right away, no need to season him in the AHL so he can learn to defend. We need to him to score, we already have probably the NHLs best group of defensive forwards...we need a scorer much more than another 55 point winger who can defend.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
I didn't think he could come over till 2019-20 at the earliest, either. So either he knows more than we do, or he has no clue what he is talking about.

Igor Eronko is the equivalent of Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun for the KHL. (Their most knowledgeable and trustworthy source). If he says something it is almost certainly true. With that said I would still expect him to come over no earlier than 19-20.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Any chance this guy ever comes over?

What about Gusev for Vegas?
Kaprizov seems likely to try his hand in the NHL, he's said he wants to. You'd have to think the odds of Gusev coming over dropped a lot after what happened with Shipachyov and Vegas.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Bump

How's his play been of late ?
I've been sifting through pages and pages watching goals and highlights looks pretty solid. Should be well seasoned for when (if) he really does come over? Anyone have a link or direct qoutes from what Parise said about him ? Curious as I've been looking for it and haven't been able to find it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Bump

How's his play been of late ?
I've been sifting through pages and pages watching goals and highlights looks pretty solid. Should be well seasoned for when (if) he really does come over? Anyone have a link or direct qoutes from what Parise said about him ? Curious as I've been looking for it and haven't been able to find it.
Parise didn't say anything about him. I saw the discussion on the Rangers board, but it seems to be a reference to this:
Wild news: Parise says he ‘stunk’; Kaprizov signs 3-year KHL deal

Parise was talking about his own season. He's never met or had anything to say about Kaprizov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad