LW Isaac Ratcliffe (2017, 35th, PHI; traded to NSH)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ratcliffe is an excellent skater

Combine that with a big 6'6 frame and a hard wrist shot and you have a player. Just a question of how good of an NHLer he'll be.

He flashes top 6 talent and hockey sense doesn't appear to be an issue. Once he fills out his massive frame he'll be scary coming down the wing. I feel confident that he projects at least as a 40-50P winger.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Is a comparable McCarron of Montreal. Big guy but doesn't seem to have the foot speed to be an NHLer in todays game.

It is quite the opposite, Ratcliffe has excellent skating ability for a player his size, his game should easily translate at the NHL level, at the very least in a bottom6 role. He got the skill to be more than that though. HFboarders being low on tall guys nothing new here.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This kid can skate for a big guy, has a really hard shot, and he's got size. I think he can end up like a Taylor Raddysh type of steal. They are both big, had good production in their draft year and good hockey sense.

A 6'6 forward with good production doesn't go past the 2nd.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It is quite the opposite, Ratcliffe has excellent skating ability for a player his size, his game should easily translate at the NHL level, at the very least in a bottom6 role. He got the skill to be more than that though. HFboarders being low on tall guys nothing new here.

I think Hague suffers from it too. I have no issue with a big player if they actually are a good player and I think that's the case here. It would be nice if Guelph could either get their **** together or trade him because I think he'd be quite successful on a decent team.

He's a good bet to become a bottom six player and has more upside on top of that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Ratcliffe is best when he doesn't have the puck. Take that as you will. He's easy to like as a hockey player. I enjoy watching him constantly skate around the o-zone (because he doesn't have that unsmooth quality most big guys have.....quick feet and can motor), probe the defense for weaknesses, and be so headily engaged in the play. He works hard, and he'll only be better down low when he adds strength and fixes some balance issues. But I can't get over my concern about his offensive skills and hands. HP doesn't have this issue and raves about it even, but I'm not seeing it. I saw him look too fumbly with the puck under pressure (or not even), and he's a pretty meh passer who I saw turn it over too many times trying. His ability to use his teammates can sometimes be underwhelming. He's best doing simple N/S things with the puck, or better yet just supporting, taking shots, and not having it for too long.

I do wonder what he would look like next to an actual talented puck carrying playmaker because I don't think I've seen him next to one yet. Better of course, but that doesn't change my nagging concern with what upside a guy with those hands has. He looks to me like a middle 6 ceiling complimentary player. And in the back of my mind I sometimes wonder if he ends up a bottom 6 guy, albeit a unique one.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How does Ratcliffe fall out of the 1st round when Rasmussen goes top 10?

Zero consistency with NHL scouting staffs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't like the Frost pick that high, but I think this is a great high-upside and worth moving up for Philly. He will take awhile, but he has great potential.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Welcome to Philly big boy!

Gladly trade and extra 3rd and a 4th to jump up and get this kid. Was regarded as having a 1st round grade by p much every outlet.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Any updates on his development?

His stat line is looking good with a nice jump up to 39 goals, tied for 7th in the OHL. 3rd in shots at 271. Not on a great team, but still his -27 +/- is team worst so that's a concern.

Is his defensive game a concern for a guy who projects to be 2nd/3rd line?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
41 goals on the season....tied for 5th in the league right now but his season is over.
69 points in 68 games.

Not a bad year for him!

Although a high pick, a bit of an underappreciated season for Ratcliffe. Flyers fans were rightfully fixated on the two players picked ahead of him (Patrick and Frost).

Ratcliffe started a bit slow and played on a very mediocre team, but kept improving as the season went along. He finished with 41 goals, which is 15 better than anyone else on Guelph.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ended the season with 17 more goals then anyone else on Guelph. That was the largest gap in the OHL.

Reactions: Jtown

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He does have okay acceleration and top speed, but his skating style makes him look lazy out there. In his D-1 season he disappeared a lot, would go stretches where you didn't notice him. I did think he was more consistent with his effort in his D+1 year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
41 goals on the season....tied for 5th in the league right now but his season is over.
69 points in 68 games.

Not a bad year for him!
Funny.....10 months later....and he is 5th in goals this year too in the OHL. Has seen his GPG, APG and PPG go up over last year. Should have a strong last 20+ games to end the year now that he is surrounded by more talent. Him and Suzuki have meshed well.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Didn't like the Frost pick that high, but I think this is a great high-upside and worth moving up for Philly. He will take awhile, but he has great potential.

At the time, many Flyers fans liked the Frost pick. Looks like a great pick now. Similar forwards went higher in that draft.

I think most Flyers fans liked the Ratcliffe pick. However, some of the more knowledgeable posters wanted Robertson at that spot instead. Turns out they’re on to something: Robertson looks like the higher upside, more rounded scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad