LW Isaac Ratcliffe (2017, 35th, PHI; traded to NSH)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
gs_19_isaac_ratcliffe_epaa.jpg

Big boy who'll definitely turn a few heads next season, there's very little doubt in my mind that he'll be a 1st rounder, the question is how high he'll end up going. Good puck skills and playmaker, he needs to work a bit on his skating (which is common for alot of young players w/ his size) but he has all the tools to become a high draft pick.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300398

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
20 pts in 22 games is pretty good improvement in his sophomore season, 6'6 winger prospect who may have some potential, can anyone comment on his play? Is he an early or mid round prospect?

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Haven't seen Ratcliffe play this season but in past viewings hes always looked a bit awkward on the ice. Due to him growing into his body, he looked very raw and I was always left wanting more from him.

Ratcliffe's more of a complementary player imo. Someone that adds to a line rather than drives it. He is a good skater and has good vision. It'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop as he fills out.

If he continues to produce like he is right now he'll definitely be an option for teams picking late in the first round as he does having intriguing tools.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Having been to every home game this season, I'd say he's look great. Good board work, great puck control. Doesn't have the vision imo to play centre, but LW for sure. Good player, excited to see him on the Storm for 2 more years.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Haven't seen Ratcliffe play this season but in past viewings hes always looked a bit awkward on the ice. Due to him growing into his body, he looked very raw and I was always left wanting more from him.

Ratcliffe's more of a complementary player imo. Someone that adds to a line rather than drives it. He is a good skater and has good vision. It'll be interesting to see how he continues to develop as he fills out.

If he continues to produce like he is right now he'll definitely be an option for teams picking late in the first round as he does having intriguing tools.

Has he improved his skating? Thought his first few steps were slow last season.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
How has Ratcliffe looked this season? 6'6" and leading his team in scoring as a 17-year-old. Surprised there isn't more talk about him in a weak draft year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Any updates? Seen some guys have him in the 1st round (and HP have him as high as #10). What's his game like?

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Was at the Knights vs Storm game on Sunday and he had a few good shifts followed by a long streak of being invisible.

He has a good shot, was good with protecting the puck. I don't think he's the driver of offense on his line though. Could've just been an off game as everyone but Merkley wasn't very noticeable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Was at the Knights vs Storm game on Sunday and he had a few good shifts followed by a long streak of being invisible.

He has a good shot, was good with protecting the puck. I don't think he's the driver of offense on his line though. Could've just been an off game as everyone but Merkley wasn't very noticeable.
Evaluating anyone on Guelph this year is difficult. The team is a mess.

Ratcliff has the skill set to be an excellent winger at the NHL level. He's big with great skating for a guy his size. I also put weight to the fact the HP guys are really high on him. They know the OHL well and have followed these guys from minor-midget. They were notably high on someone like Dvorak.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Evaluating anyone on Guelph this year is difficult. The team is a mess.

Ratcliff has the skill set to be an excellent winger at the NHL level. He's big with great skating for a guy his size. I also put weight to the fact the HP guys are really high on him. They know the OHL well and have followed these guys from minor-midget. They were notably high on someone like Dvorak.

Agreed, I usually only lurk in this section but figured I'd give my 2 cents since nobody else was. lol

He's got all the tools for sure, and you are right, it's hard to evaluate him on that **** poor Storm team. (Knights fan)

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
How's his physical game? Does he throw the body often? Always nice to hear of a big guy with skill, but if he's not physical there's very little need to be huge.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
How's his physical game? Does he throw the body often? Always nice to hear of a big guy with skill, but if he's not physical there's very little need to be huge.

mhm not true at all actually

if a big player uses their size to protect the puck well (Thornton, Jagr, Malkin) its a huge advantage.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
mhm not true at all actually

if a big player uses their size to protect the puck well (Thornton, Jagr, Malkin) its a huge advantage.

I consider that to be part of the physical part of the game- puck protection, laying the body, fighting (obvs not as important), and going to work infront of the net as well as all the other **** that I didn't name. If anyone could give me some insight into this that would be appreciated. Ratcliffe is definitely a player that intrigues me.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Looking for offense in the mid to late 20's. Based on projections, do you pick Ratcliffe or JAD? I know they're completely different players... just asking who you'd think has top 6 potential regardless.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Looking for offense in the mid to late 20's. Based on projections, do you pick Ratcliffe or JAD? I know they're completely different players... just asking who you'd think has top 6 potential regardless.

JAD easy, I don't think either has top 6 potential but JAD is more likely to make the NHL because he's a bit safer. Ratcliffe I'm not exactly a huge fan of.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was also going to say that I don't project either as a top 6 ceiling player, as of today. Middle 6 complimentary player feels better to say. I'm still a big fan of JAD, despite the u18s, but I'm not convinced he even goes in the 1st on draft day. Ratcliffe meanwhile feels more certain. He could even be reached on too and not be there in the mid-late 20s. GMs don't mess around when they see a 6'6" plus skater with great compete and IQ and a hard shot. JAD also is a plus skater with great compete and IQ and a quick shot, but though he's solid defensively at center IMO, I think he's more projectable at wing. I also think he has a bit more skill and is a better stick handler than Ratcliffe, who can get bobbly at times with the puck. I could see Ratcliffe playing on the PP2 as a net front guy (maybe even PP1 which would elevate his scoring potential) pretty easily; I think JAD could be on a PP2 but in a slot/bumper role.........but will the GM take the 6'6" player described or the 5'11" player described?

I have them a handful+ spots apart from each other, but teams covet size and they're probably not crazy for thinking the 6'6" kid is more easily projectable as an NHL player. Leaving undersized JAD to go in the 2nd.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wonder how high he will go, seems to have less offensive ability than McCarron who is struggling to secure a bottom 6 role and doesn't appear to have a top 6 future as of now. 1st round would be a mistake imo but mid 2nd or lower could be worth the risk.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wonder how high he will go, seems to have less offensive ability than McCarron who is struggling to secure a bottom 6 role and doesn't appear to have a top 6 future as of now. 1st round would be a mistake imo but mid 2nd or lower could be worth the risk.

Ratcliffe does not have less offensive upside than McCarron.. other way around.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Ratcliffe does not have less offensive upside than McCarron.. other way around.

For some reason I thought McCarron only spent one year in the NTDP program before jumping to the OHL. It does seem Ratcliffe had much better numbers his draft year. McCarron even struggled his +1 season and didn't break out until his +2 season. Although, those London squads were way deeper and head and shoulders above Ratcliffe's Guelph teams, so icetime wasn't as hard to come by for Ratcliffe.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone hoping their team takes this kid in the 1st round?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone hoping their team takes this kid in the 1st round?

Hell no.. he projects more as a bottom 6 guy than top 6 and even then he still has a lot of question marks. Complimentary third liner is his upside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad