LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm pretty confident that the Sens have Chlapik ranked higher than Dahlen, and theres good reason for that. He's first in PPG amongst the Q's top 25 scorers by a solid margin and is bigger and more well rounded, too.

Big difference between a player that will turn 20 at the end of the season who is playing against juniors and Dahlen who just turned 19 and is dominating against men.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Big difference between a player that will turn 20 at the end of the season who is playing against juniors and Dahlen who just turned 19 and is dominating against men.

Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that the Sens appear to have Chlapik rated ahead of Dahlen (or very, very similarly to Dahlen).

This is given Dorion's comment that there are 4 or 5 prospects he won't trade and that Dahlen isn't one of them. And, in case you were thinking of spouting sour grapes, Garrioch and several on the Sens board, myself included, shared that opinion well before the trade went down.

Dahlen is a very good prospect and a high price to pay for Burrows, but I still stand by my (relatively well supported) belief that the org has Chlapik more highly rated than Dahlen.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that the Sens appear to have Chlapik rated ahead of Dahlen (or very, very similarly to Dahlen).

This is given Dorion's comment that there are 4 or 5 prospects he won't trade and that Dahlen isn't one of them. And, in case you were thinking of spouting sour grapes, Garrioch and several on the Sens board, myself included, shared that opinion well before the trade went down.

Dahlen is a very good prospect and a high price to pay for Burrows, but I still stand by my (relatively well supported) belief that the org has Chlapik more highly rated than Dahlen.

As a Canuck fan I can say that people need to settle down on calling this trade a steal. There is no way Ottawa would have traded him if he didn't have a major hurdle to get over to become a top 6 forward. His skating looks extremely suspect and he's a small guy. How many succesful scoring forwards and small AND average skaters. It's a very small list. Dahlen is going to have to get bigger and much faster on his skates to get to the NHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You really think Ottawa is a cup contender?

Using this logic you could excuse a bunch of reckless deals.

You don't have to be a cup contender per say to make a deal to get to the playoffs and help you when you get there...

Ottawa has made a couple of these "Now" for futures trades.. I like getting Burrows , I think he is a player that can help the Sens now. I would have preferred they not give up Dahlen to get him but some of us fans clearly like Dahlen more and rate him higher than Dorion. Not sure exactly why this is the case. But Dahlen was not #2 prospect in Ottawa. He was on the 2nd tier behind Chabot, Brown and White... possibly others but the debate is stronger there.

To Melnyk making the playoffs and having that round (maybe more) of playoff revenue is huge.. This becomes the mandate of the GM and influences decisions.

I don't like that but I am hopeful Dahlen doesn't bite us too hard in the ass.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Some Canucks fans getting a little too overhyped about him.

He's a very solid prospect but he's no where near blue chip status.

At least not yet.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg

Yup,

Canucks fans are happy with the return for Burrows and the Sens clearly felt they could afford to give up Dahlen. Always liked him as a prospect so it's a welcomed addition. He's not a blue chipper but he's certainly better than what we dared to hope to get in return for Burr. Hopefully it works out for both sides

paragon

May 5, 2010
How exactly? he is badly surpassing even the most hyped fans expectations, he is eating the swedish league apart.
Well to be fair it's only Allsvenskan, not the SHL. Don't get me wrong it's still impressive, but I wouldn't anoint him as the next Forsberg just yet.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He has 4 goals today in the J20 playoffs, super impressive production from him.

Burrows is the gift that keeps on giving.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Having Lööke and Dahlén play with the J20 team is almost unfair lol.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
What level of hockey would the J20 compare to in Canada? Something between the CHL/Jr A?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I can't see that being true at all...maybe the skeptic in me.

Quite a lot of J20 teams have more players who will go onto play a good level of pro hockey than CHL teams.

Just go and look at current Swedish NHLers and their J20 teams in the last year of junior.

Now no J20 teams are like London Knights when they load up... because they cannot trade for extra talent... but the top J20 teams would arguably beat a lot of CHL teams, especially come play-off time when they get back their top guys from Allsvenskan and SHL who are already pros playing vs men.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I fully believe he can become a Pasternak type of player, the goals he scores is eerily similar to how Pasternak plays.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Quite a lot of J20 teams have more players who will go onto play a good level of pro hockey than CHL teams.

Just go and look at current Swedish NHLers and their J20 teams in the last year of junior.

Now no J20 teams are like London Knights when they load up... because they cannot trade for extra talent... but the top J20 teams would arguably beat a lot of CHL teams, especially come play-off time when they get back their top guys from Allsvenskan and SHL who are already pros playing vs men.

Thanks Appleyard, I was hoping you would respond to that question.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Except A: Ottawa has 0 chance at a cup; they have bad possession numbers and in general do not look like a contender, and B: They gave up their 2nd best forward prospect, and probably their best scoring prospect.

Dahlen is going to be a player.

Whole lotta hyperbole in this comment. HF boards where posession numbers mean more than the standings and prospects are already better than NHL players that are producing. The Burrows deals might have saved the sens chance at the playoffs. Burrows has 6 points in 7 games since joining the sens helping them to a 6-0-1 record. All this while sustaining 3 critical injuries to the top 6 forwards.

Now I didnt like the value at the time and I still dont like it now but comments like the one above are ridiculous. Brown and White are way ahead in terms of value of prospects compared to Dahlen. I had Dhalen slightly ahead of Chlapik personally but apparently the sens staff did not. This is a sens staff that has drafted as well as anyone over the last 8-10 years. Same old same old on HF rip the sens and everything they do until a player leaves and goes somewhere else.

They have the same birth year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad