LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Ill be rooting for this guy now, if the Flyers managed to snag him at like 45th overall would be amazing

Lumpjaw

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
Haha.

I have been a big fan of his all year... but the last few months have meant it is far less likely he gets past #40.

Personally I believe he is worth picking at around ~#25 overall. Though if the Flyers really liked him they have the picks to package and move up and get him.

Been watching him since he joined Timrå as I cover them for the local newspaper, and the development this kid have had this season..

For most parts of the season he have been the best player on the ice for Timrå. And the fact that he have no real support offensively but have some so-so players, makes it even more impressive. And the streak he have gone on after new years is may be the biggest reason why Timrå was able to snag a top 8 position.

He´s engaging in more situations all over the ice now compared to the start of this season.

It´s quite strange he didn´t get Guldgallret as Allsvenskans best young player.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
And after the loss today, Timrå's season ended. Dahlén had 6 goals in five sort of-playoff games (they faced the teams that finished 3rd to 7th in Allsvenskan).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He scored 6 of the 12 goals Timrå scored in the 5 game round robin 'play-in'... and assisted on another. He was also +4 despite the team as a whole being -3.

19 points in the last 18 games he played this season.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
With his 6 goals in the play in, he was by far the best goalscorer among all teams, the closes was a group of players with 3 goals. Small sample size, but it feels like he has getting better the longer the season has gone. Would have want to see him in SHL next season. That will not happen with Timrå however. But it would also be fun to see Pettersson and Dahlen togehter, next season they could be dominating in allsvenskan togeheter.

I would say he is very close if not better than Grundström, very different types of players, and Grundström is a more of a safe bet in becoming NHL player, but Dahlen, has more star potential. But I think he should get 1th round consideration.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nice skill, but you'll notice he didn't get touched on most of these goals. Wonder what happens when gets hammered on one of those wraparound attempts in the NHL. Doesn't look especially wide or strong.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nice skill, but you'll notice he didn't get touched on most of these goals. Wonder what happens when gets hammered on one of those wraparound attempts in the NHL. Doesn't look especially wide or strong.

He is super, super elusive though. Kind of like Giroux, Gaudreau or Kane in that regard... the kid hardly ever puts himself in a position to get hit. People try all the time and rarely connect.

And that is spite of the fact that even though he is a skilled guy he really does not mind going to the tough areas on the boards or around the net an battling for his ground in those areas.... and is surprisingly strong on his skates while in those areas, probably a lot to do with his great edge-work.

He also has ~3 years minumum I imagine to put on the ~15 pounds he likely will before playing in the NHL. He likely ends up 5'11 and ~190lbs when fully developed physically.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011

Which happens about 5 times per season in the current NHL. Maybe even fewer than that.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Can be said about every prospect....

Dahlén is playing against better, stronger players than most players in the draft.

Lumpjaw

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
I think Dahlén plays in Timrå next season no matter what. He need's to play in a top role, and I´m not sure that he will be able to do that, atleast not in Frölunda which he is rumored to. That´s something he says by himself too in the article I´ll link at the bottom of this post.

In this article, after last nights game, he says that he will play some games with the junior team next week, then talk future with his father Ulf (he have no agent). He says that the most likely scenario is that he waits until after the draft before decideing where to play next season.

http://www.st.nu/ishockey/hockeyall...dahlen-om-framtiden-da-vill-han-ta-ett-beslut (swedish)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Dahlén plays in Timrå next season no matter what. He need's to play in a top role, and I´m not sure that he will be able to do that, atleast not in Frölunda which he is rumored to. That´s something he says by himself too in the article I´ll link at the bottom of this post.

In this article, after last nights game, he says that he will play some games with the junior team next week, then talk future with his father Ulf (he have no agent). He says that the most likely scenario is that he waits until after the draft before decideing where to play next season.

http://www.st.nu/ishockey/hockeyall...dahlen-om-framtiden-da-vill-han-ta-ett-beslut (swedish)

If he stays at Timrå next year we could be on record watch.

Most points All-time for 'junior' player in Allvenskan:

Tony MÃ¥rtensson: 49 (1999-00)

Most goals All-time for 'junior' player in Allvenskan:

Pär Arlbrandt: 24 (2001-02)

Though he is a lock for the WJC team so will not play the whole 52 game slate... the goal record is still very achievable though.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
This guy is becoming one of my favorite prospects this draft and I think I may like him more than Abramov at this point. Here are his 6 goals in 5 playoff games

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

Compared to the "ruff n tuff" CHL that consists of small, teenage boys that Marner and co skate circles around, Allsvenskan allows prospect to play against grown ups. Or are you that the CHL are more physically challenging?.... Im waiting

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
He should be passing the puck in a video showing 6 of his goals? Makes a lot of sense.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He should be passing the puck in a video showing 6 of his goals? Makes a lot of sense.

Well, I'm not saying scoring goals is a bad thing at all. What I mean is that on a few of those goals he had many options to pass but he decided to rush the puck from his own zone to the net instead (I know he's 200x faster than the others and it ended up working in the video, but still, I wonder if he always plays like that). I'm just wondering if he always plays like that or if he just did it because he was head and shoulders above competition.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Well, I'm not saying scoring goals is a bad thing at all. What I mean is that on a few of those goals he had many options to pass but he decided to rush the puck from his own zone to the net instead (I know he's 200x faster than the others and it ended up working in the video, but still, I wonder if he always plays like that). I'm just wondering if he always plays like that or if he just did it because he was head and shoulders above competition.

Well, he scored 6 goals in those 5 games and the rest of his team also scored 6 goals.

There are passing plays and assists in the highlight video on the 1st page.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Well, he scored 6 goals in those 5 games and the rest of his team also scored 6 goals.

There are passing plays and assists in the highlight video on the 1st page.

Yeah, I went to watch other videos and he seems like a decent passer as well. Easily 1st round skill here.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
There were some SHL rumours, but apparently he's staying in Timrå.

Even if it would be fun to see him in SHL, it will also be fun to see him and Pettersson togeheter next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->