LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Quite a lot of J20 teams have more players who will go onto play a good level of pro hockey than CHL teams.

Just go and look at current Swedish NHLers and their J20 teams in the last year of junior.

Now no J20 teams are like London Knights when they load up... because they cannot trade for extra talent... but the top J20 teams would arguably beat a lot of CHL teams, especially come play-off time when they get back their top guys from Allsvenskan and SHL who are already pros playing vs men.

I feel like there is a lot less 18 & 19 year old talent in the J20 SuperElit than there is in the CHL.

No doubt that the SuperElit develops a lot of talent, but the talent pool is weakened because teenagers are able to move up to the SHL and Allsvenkan. Whereas 18 and 19 year old CHLers are stuck in the CHL unless they can crack the NHL.

But yes, as you said, this can change at the end of the season when J20 teams get their SHL and Allsvenkan players back.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
How exactly? he is badly surpassing even the most hyped fans expectations, he is eating the swedish league apart.

Because of how prospects are evaluated and quality of competition.

Not an exaggeration, I can't think of a single Sens fan that would have traded Chabot, White, or Brown instead of Dahlen.

After that, him and Chlapik were interchangeable I would say.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Because of how prospects are evaluated and quality of competition.

Not an exaggeration, I can't think of a single Sens fan that would have traded Chabot, White, or Brown instead of Dahlen.

After that, him and Chlapik were interchangeable I would say.

As far as quality of competition goes Dahlén's is higher/better.
But those guys you mentioned are for sure bigger names than Dahlén who is still a bit of an unknown.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I quote anything I want and that forum actually have legit scouts posting there unlike here. Just like any forum there are good and bad users.

I'm sorry but scouts on CDC? None of the ones you quoted are actual scouts. I recall there was one guy over there who writes/used to write for Eliteprospects, but other than him, the opinions over there are certainly not worth more than anyone elses opinion over here. If anything, everyone on CDC just loves twisting anything negative into something positive,their general opinions are definitely not neutral at all.

Don't even wanna know how that place looked when Benning finally managed to make a good trade (getting Dahlen). They were probably making fun of anyone who have critized Benning in the past (rightfully so) for all of his stupid moves. One good trade, and he's a god. That's CDC for you.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
As far as quality of competition goes Dahlén's is higher/better.
But those guys you mentioned are for sure bigger names than Dahlén who is still a bit of an unknown.

Oh I agree, I just meant the general gauge, not 100% specific to Dahlen.

Also have to consider difficulty in scoring per league as well. I think there was close to 100 less goals in the SHL vs the SAL, which isn't a huge factor, but something to consider as well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Some of us don't think Brown has a very good chance of living up to that potential.

You don't pass up on a potential giant #1 center for a potential diminutive top 6 winger, even if you think the winger has the better shot at reaching his potential.

It's just not logical.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
You don't pass up on a potential giant #1 center for a potential diminutive top 6 winger, even if you think the winger has the better shot at reaching his potential.

It's just not logical.

I think Brown is still the more valuable prospect but I could easily see the argument for Dahlen.

Dahlen has improved since last year while Brown's point totals have regressed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Brown is still the more valuable prospect but I could easily see the argument for Dahlen.

There are plenty of reasons for Brown's poor production this year, but yes his point totals have regressed, while Dahlen has taken a major step forward.

Still, I think it's seriously short sighted to think that one season makes Dahlen the better prospect.

Also I'm the biggest detractor of Sens management there is, but any kind of insinuation that they would give up a Brown-quality prospect for Burrows is preposterous. Dahlen is a solid prospect, but he's a tier below Brown in both potential and value.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014

Idk about taking Dahlen over Brown right now, but that is a major point against Brown. History hasn't been kind to prospects who regress (points wise) after their draft. Yes you can find some exceptions, but for every exception there has been 5 promising prospects who have busted.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Idk about taking Dahlen over Brown right now, but that is a major point against Brown. History hasn't been kind to prospects who regress (points wise) after their draft. Yes you can find some exceptions, but for every exception there has been 5 promising prospects who have busted.

That's true, but you are talking about prospects that haven't produced well with no extenuating circumstances that contributed to the regression.

Brown's production isn't that bad when you consider almost every offensive player on Windsor has struggled to produce this year, not to mention the number of inhibiting injuries he has had this year - wrist and groin problems and who knows what else.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on Brown's draft+1 year. If the production doesn't get better next season when he's fully healthy, then there's a major issue that needs to be dealt with.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dahlén hasn't been better than expected this season. Before the season started he was considered the favorite to win the scoring title in Allsvenskan by a lot of people, he was up there but not really close. He was just solid at the WJC, a clear step below guys like Rasmus Asplund and Carl Grundström who were also 2nd rounders from the same draft.

I think Dahlén is a solid prospect but I would be a bit surprised if he becomes as a legit top 6 player in the NHL.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Dahlén hasn't been better than expected this season. Before the season started he was considered the favorite to win the scoring title in Allsvenskan by a lot of people, he was up there but not really close. He was just solid at the WJC, a clear step below guys like Rasmus Asplund and Carl Grundström who were also 2nd rounders from the same draft.

I think Dahlén is a solid prospect but I would be a bit surprised if he becomes as a legit top 6 player in the NHL.

5G, 1A is a clear step below 3G, 4A and 1G, 6A?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Signed today

Apparently has a clause that allows him to return to Sweden if he doesn't make Vancouver next year, however he also seems somewhat open to the AHL.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Great news. I think I would rather see him in Sweden next season if he doesn't make the Canucks. Work on his skills in a more skilled league and work on his strength to transition into a more physical league.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
jeesus, it's like a prospect automatically becomes 20x better if he is traded to the canucks.

Brown is a much better prospect than Dahlen.

No fanbase hypes their prospects up as much as Vancouver.

It's especially laughable when you consider almost every single one of their highly touted prospects in the last decade has failed miserably to live up to even their more rational fans' expectations.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
No fanbase hypes their prospects up as much as Vancouver.

It's especially laughable when you consider almost every single one of their highly touted prospects in the last decade has failed miserably to live up to even their more rational fans' expectations.
Haven't seen Calgary posters around here eh, they've got nothing but top 6 forwards, top 4 defense and starting goalies in their system according to some
With Vancouver's prospects, very few are hyped because their drafting over the past ten years has been pretty bad. The occasional one that actually has potential to be top 9/top4 do get hyped because they are so rare. Most often those that do get talked about are first round picks - lots of which have busted. But what fanbase doesn't rave about their top picks? After the first round, how many actual successful NHLers have they drafted? I can count them on one hand, so it's natural to get excited when even a mediocre prospect comes along.... It's that bad here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->