LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Subpar playoffs but he's taken large steps this season overall. Could be an NHL player but is a bit of a floater at this stage. Has NHL talent but that's not always enough...

snizzbone*

Reporting to Marlies for the playoffs. Unsure if he plays with the team we have but I'd think he'll get some games in, assuming he's eligible.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
this. Wasn't expecting him to join.

It would be a shame if the Marlies don't go all the way this year, there talent is a tier higher than any other AHL team.

I think he's going to come with a Soshnikov like surprise to some people with how effective and good he is

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Elite Prospects doesn't list him as playing any games for the Marlies yet? Any reason why?

Toronto management and Marlies coaching staff believe that the players who have played all year deserve to play through the playoffs. All junior/European call ups are there in case of injury/emergency.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Elite Prospects doesn't list him as playing any games for the Marlies yet? Any reason why?
Marlies are stacked, and are probably giving most of the minutes to guys who earned them over the year. He's probably just there to meet and practice with future teammates and set himself up in Toronto. For example, he probably deserves ice-time over someone like Kasperi Kapanen but Leafs aren't gonna shoot that kids confidence and move him down for Johnson unless he was being lazy and not working hard. Its a weird balance between win-now and development in the AHL, and that extends to the playoffs.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

Pretty sure he's only practiced so far. I missed the 5-3 win over Albany so maybe he played there but last I heard he had taken a few warm up skates and that's as close as he got.

Stacked Marlies team so it'd be hard for any of the freshly acquired guys to make any playoff games. With Johnson having just won the SHL championship 2 weeks ago I'm sure he's still getting used to a new system. He wasn't expected to be here until July or August but the Leafs and his agent decided it'd be best to get an early start.

If he played Friday then I assume it's just EP being behind on the update.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel absolutely horrible for the kid. Finally comes over to North America and this happens. I doubt he comes back this year, I'm just hoping he can recover and be back to 100% for the start of camp next year. He's got an outside shot to make the Leafs, if he doesn't he's almost certain to be up at some point next year.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
One of the worst head-shots I've seen in a long time.

Blind-side, 100% of contact to the head, and 100% of that contact was with Kelly's elbow (which he deliberately stuck out at the last second to catch Johnson in the head).

t30nehO.gif

Not that it matters, since this guy seems to be a career AHL plug for Albany, but hopefully he gets a suspension that stretches well into next season.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'm actually distraught from this. It really seemed like Johnson was such a key part of the rebuild and that happens. I hope he's okay, I hope he can get ready for next year and I hope it's just nothing serious.

That said, he's not coming back this year. Lou proved how he stands with head injuries when William got hurt, we won't see AJ until late July - early August when the development camps are up and running

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Hopefully he has a full recovery. Was really looking forward to seeing how he plays in the AHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad