Luongo as the Panthers' undisputed '18-'19 starter

Luongo as the Panthers' undisputed '18-'19 starter

• Total voters

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I’m a biased as they come though. I’ve always loved the guy. I really want to see him get another shot at a cup or else I think he’s wasting his time. If he’s the starter for the cats next season I’d like to see the team load up for a real run.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'm good with it until he gets hurt again. Committing to him as a clear number 1 means relying on the number 2 a lot more than we probably want.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
I’m fine with it. What I really want to do is
somehow get rid of Reimer and have Sateri back up. I’m very interested in seeing more of Sateri. He could be a future starter. Who knows?

Reactions: 5 Hole and Rahooji

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No because it's not feasible. He's great when he plays (which is not often) and Reimer is an extremely mediocre starter who has an awful contract that makes him unmovable.

Luongo 52 starts, Reimer 30 starts, I'm good with. But next year's actual scenario (Reimer 40 starts, Luongo 30 starts, Sateri 12 starts) is something I don't prefer.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Who else are you going to have as the starter............Reimer? The whole question of this thread is ludicrous. If we had a chance to go out and pick up someone that is over .920 the last 5 years in the NHL, we couldn't afford the trade or if it was a UFA.........we would be the last place an elite tender would consider and then only at an astronomical price.

Lu is a proven commodity that is winding down unfortunately but that doesn't mean he is through. There will come a time when he has another serious groin injury and he will elect to hang them up. I don't see a reduction in his salary the next few years as having any bearing on whether he calls it quits. He has more money than he can spend and he will continue to play as long as he enjoys it and can produce at a high level.

As a side note, Sateri had a 44 shot shutout last Friday which I think was his 4th since being sent back down. He also won tonight stopping 33 or 34 shots. They won 2-1 and he was scored on with a little over a couple of minutes left which probably means the other team pulled the goalie. Florida would be dumb to let him go at this point and needs to resign him. Meanwhile Monty was a sieve in a 6-5 loss on Saturday. :)

Last edited:

Eskimobobseal

Apr 4, 2018
Luongo should have one last good year in him before retirement, but I think Reimer is play a lot again like he did this year.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
i think he should retire after this Season, we need a Starting Goalie. Loungo is no starting Goalie 1 more left "lower Body" Injury and we can place him on LTIR and then must go during the Season after a starting Goalie. Reimer show some good Games for a Back Up Goalie, also its hard to move his contract, but he is also a non starting Goalie.
And the Chance Loungo will be Injured next Season too is high, only to remember that was 5 noted lower Body Injuries, 7-8 all including also those who was called upper Body Injury.

And if we really wanna be better next Year and go after the PO, like the Jets do it Years after Years was around the Wildcard spot and keeped there core players together. We need a new starting Goalie and for me is this the Number 1 Goal till the Season starts.

If we start again with Loungo and someone saying we wanna be better this Year, take those Words catched and give him back, left and right.

I better have a new starting Goalie during the Camp befor i must build a new chemistry on defens and Goalie during the Season.
And i don´t think Monty is ready, no matter he has bad players infront of him.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I have bad news for you.....

What is it that he is also starter for next Year, that we alive the same Situation as this Year. leg Injury we discuss how serious is it, GM and Coach say in an interview Day to Day, 1 week later they say its been a longer Injury. After returning from an Offseason surgery.
And when then a GM things we start with him again and await a better result, i also can shoot in my leg once again after it hurt me befor.

Look at the Sedin, they end there Career befor its to late to retire, best Moment when Team goes into a rebuild. Our Goalie plays till we drive him from the Ice direct into the Hospital.

But tell me what is the Bad news. Not that i already get the feeling where we going.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Feel like he's being overlooked for how good of a year he's having. Granted he missed a lot of games.

For goalies who have played at least 30 games, he's 4th in Save % and 11th in GAA.
Only guessing the goalies doing better are behind a substantially better team?

This is 2004 Lu :). No, this is the same hes always been! 2004 before and after!

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
He will more than likely be our #1 again next season. It wouldn't surprised me if typical ole' Panthers stick with Reimer as our #1 due to that contract though. Which again puts us out of contention for possibly going after a guy like Grubauer

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Grubauer doesnt play much more then 35 Games current, if he goes for a starter what he could be. He must go up at least over 50-60 Games. That would at least near double his starts.
But i like what he can bring in and i see him also as a Starter in the Furture.
The most starts ever he had, was 49 in a Season.

And there is not much Goalies left, the half of the League is in a Starting Goalie Situation, but not the half of them have already that roster together or core together.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Overall Reimer has been solid this season, he just, after standing on his head for most of the time, lets in those wtf goals that are crushers.
Lu is the man until he proves he no longer can be.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Overall Reimer has been solid this season, he just, after standing on his head for most of the time, lets in those wtf goals that are crushers.
Lu is the man until he proves he no longer can be.

And when we miss the Playoffs 3 or 4th time more season after Season we start with Loungo, aslong as he wants. It doesn´t matter if its good or bad, its only Loungo and that must count. Are you really saying this, i dont want to look in the Offseason thread if you for or against PO appearence? he makes good saves, also let pass some shot he wouldn´t let pass in, not once not twice not three Times a few Times to often, thats already small indicates its going the wrong Way and when i look as Lundquist 2.98 GAA 63 Goals played and he really looking off after season of been high class Goalie.

To many Soft Goals get pass, that´s starts when you can get it done. He has still good parts, but other Section getting worse season after Season. Im not a Robot, but when you really Aim for the Cup and the PO you put the best product on the Ice. Thats how other Teams won the Cup not once twice and three Times.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Of course I want them to make the playoffs, quite the ludicrous leap to infer that I don't. Who said they expect he should be starter for 3 or 4 more seasons? I wrote that he plays til he shows he can't handle it. That could be the end of next year's playoffs or it could be in November. If it's three years with playoffs from now, that would be flipping fantastic.
Lu has another year in him, Reimer hasn't unseated him and his contract will probably keep him here as the so called goalie 1b. Certainly they should always be looking to upgrade the position, over the next year I expect them to be exploring some kind of a deal to be made to bring a goalie for after Lu.
Who do you think they should go get right now to replace Lu?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Of course I want them to make the playoffs, quite the ludicrous leap to infer that I don't. Who said they expect he should be starter for 3 or 4 more seasons? I wrote that he plays til he shows he can't handle it. That could be the end of next year's playoffs or it could be in November. If it's three years with playoffs from now, that would be flipping fantastic.
Lu has another year in him, Reimer hasn't unseated him and his contract will probably keep him here as the so called goalie 1b. Certainly they should always be looking to upgrade the position, over the next year I expect them to be exploring some kind of a deal to be made to bring a goalie for after Lu.
Who do you think they should go get right now to replace Lu?

But how will you see if he can handle, from my perspective of an understanding of a Starting Goalie he is not an starting Goalie. From your perspective you say he is still an starting Goalie. So where is the Line where anyone would say he is done.
Is it that he might must let more soft Goals in or complete unable to push him hard from left to right or again slower in moveing up from Butterfly, by holding his Goalie stick that he can move up. Those Problems he have already. I mention before he lives from his Glove and his expierence of the Game, that he place himself mostly in the right position.

But when i look at Holtby, Kinkaid, schneider, Rinne, Jones and Dell stretch out push move makeing spectacular saves, not even in the right time, that happens often. Also in the right Game.
When i look at our Goalies i dont see that, i see they have good Games shutouts, but next moment, the let in 3 soft Goals and you loose the next Game. And that is in my perspective no Starting Material.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
But how will you see if he can handle, from my perspective of an understanding of a Starting Goalie he is not an starting Goalie. From your perspective you say he is still an starting Goalie. So where is the Line where anyone would say he is done.
Is it that he might must let more soft Goals in or complete unable to push him hard from left to right or again slower in moveing up from Butterfly, by holding his Goalie stick that he can move up. Those Problems he have already. I mention before he lives from his Glove and his expierence of the Game, that he place himself mostly in the right position.

But when i look at Holtby, Kinkaid, schneider, Rinne, Jones and Dell stretch out push move makeing spectacular saves, not even in the right time, that happens often. Also in the right Game.
When i look at our Goalies i dont see that, i see they have good Games shutouts, but next moment, the let in 3 soft Goals and you loose the next Game. And that is in my perspective no Starting Material.
Who are you going to go get, right now, to replace him?
The time for after Lu is indeed coming, but tell me what they do to improve over him this summer instead of simply repeating your list of his flaws. I'm all for the team becoming even better. As I stated previously, I expect them to start exploring a trade for the goalie who can sooner or later replace Lu. But as of right now, Lu's still the man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->