Luke Moffat - American or Canadian??

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
After being the consensus best player available in this year's WHL bantam draft and being selected #2 overall by the Kelowna Rockets, is this kid going to play for Canada or the USA at future tournaments?

I know he has dual citizenship, therefore I guess giving him a choice of who he wants to play with? It doesn't sound like he headed to the NTDP, but I guess he could go the college route.

So will he play for Canada at the U17's in December or Team USA? I have heard he either attended BC's U17 tryouts or wasn't invited? I am not sure which?

I think he was born and raised in the US, so I assume he probably considers himself American. I think his father's Canadian and he got dual citizenship through that connnection somehow. Unlike Canadian-raised kids who play for the NDTP because they want to play in the NCAA or play for the US in tournaments because they aren't guaranteed to make the Canadian team (a la Brady Murray), there doesn't seem like there will be any incentive for Moffatt to play for Canada instead of where he grew up.

Edit:
BTW, you may be interested to know that Cam Fowler, who's considered by some people to be the best OHL-eligible 91 player, is also an American who holds dual citizenship.

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I think he was born and raised in the US, so I assume he probably considers himself American. I think his father's Canadian and he got dual citizenship through that connnection somehow. Unlike Canadian-raised kids who play for the NDTP because they want to play in the NCAA or play for the US in tournaments because they aren't guaranteed to make the Canadian team (a la Brady Murray), there doesn't seem like there will be any incentive for Moffatt to play for Canada instead of where he grew up.

Edit:
BTW, you may be interested to know that Cam Fowler, who's considered by some people to be the best OHL-eligible 91 player, is also an American who holds dual citizenship.

Hmmmm......because I've heard Moffat and family lived in Vancouver and his father is presently doing business in Phoenix and Luke was born in Canada. Oh well, who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough. Could turn out something like Ryan Hollweg when he ended up playing for the Canadian U18 team, although I believe he was born and raised in the states for the most part.

Bobby39

Jan 19, 2007
Hmmmm......because I've heard Moffat and family lived in Vancouver and his father is presently doing business in Phoenix and Luke was born in Canada. Oh well, who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough. Could turn out something like Ryan Hollweg when he ended up playing for the Canadian U18 team, although I believe he was born and raised in the states for the most part.

Moffatt is heading to the NTDP which means that he will play for the US going forward. Kelowna took a flyer on this kid hoping to convinve him to play there over the course of the next two to three years. This kid is very special, similiar to Kessel at the same age....

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Moffatt is heading to the NTDP which means that he will play for the US going forward. Kelowna took a flyer on this kid hoping to convinve him to play there over the course of the next two to three years. This kid is very special, similiar to Kessel at the same age....

he considers himself american. dont be surprised to see him play on the ntdp as an underager then sign with kelowna.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think the fact the it's not set in stone that he will play in the 'dub is the main reason Portland was willing to deal down. It was a lose-lose situation for them to remain the 1st pick. Best case scenario: they draft Moffatt and end up with a highlight reel franchise player. Other scenarios: they pass on Moffatt, take someone else, and Moffatt plays in the WHL anyways for another team. Or, they can trade down and still get a high end player, along with some other picks and a prospect.

I think they made right - but imagine if he does go to Kelowna, it would be cool to get to see him up close.

On a side note, maybe off topic: Where did Quientin Howden come from, and why had I never heard of him before?

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Not sure about Luke but when I played with his brother he considered himself an American when all the American vs. Canadian ribbing was going on in the lockeroom. My bet is that he will probably play for the US internationally.

apsco17

Sep 20, 2005
Kelowna
Has Moffat made any commitment as to where he is going to play for the 2009/10 season? What are the chances of him playing for the Kelowna Rockets?

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
I think the fact the it's not set in stone that he will play in the 'dub is the main reason Portland was willing to deal down. It was a lose-lose situation for them to remain the 1st pick. Best case scenario: they draft Moffatt and end up with a highlight reel franchise player. Other scenarios: they pass on Moffatt, take someone else, and Moffatt plays in the WHL anyways for another team. Or, they can trade down and still get a high end player, along with some other picks and a prospect.

I think they made right - but imagine if he does go to Kelowna, it would be cool to get to see him up close.

On a side note, maybe off topic: Where did Quientin Howden come from, and why had I never heard of him before?

He is from a rural town in Manitoba I think. He was the first manitoba player chosen in the WHL Bantam Draft

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Has Moffat made any commitment as to where he is going to play for the 2009/10 season? What are the chances of him playing for the Kelowna Rockets?

Well, he has long since made a commitment to play the 2010-2011 season for U. of Michigan, and he is joining the USNTDP next year, so, the chances of him playing for Kelowna are equal to the chances he abandons the college route he has said he intends to pursue. In other words, nobody has any idea.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Well, he has long since made a commitment to play the 2010-2011 season for U. of Michigan, and he is joining the USNTDP next year, so, the chances of him playing for Kelowna are equal to the chances he abandons the college route he has said he intends to pursue. In other words, nobody has any idea.

Moffatt is already playing for the U.S. NTDP Under-17 Team this season, not joining them next year. He's tied for sixth in scoring with 19-14-33 in 52 games.

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Moffatt is already playing for the U.S. NTDP Under-17 Team this season, not joining them next year. He's tied for sixth in scoring with 19-14-33 in 52 games.

U18 NTDP Roster Next Season
Goalies
Cambell
?

Defense
Clare
Clendening
Faulk
Johns?
Merrill
Simonelli
Tinordi?

Forwards
Balisy?
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch
Nieto
Rust
Shore
Sooth
Zucker
?
?

Missing 3 players - ideas on who will be added
Brandon Saad?
Alex Lippincott?
Andy Iles?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Goalies
Cambell
?

Defense
Clare
Clendening
Faulk
Johns?
Merrill
Simonelli
Tinordi?

Forwards
Balisy?
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch
Nieto
Rust
Shore
Sooth
Zucker
?
?

Missing 3 players - ideas on who will be added
Brandon Saad?
Alex Lippincott?
Andy Iles?

Id put a question mark next to Clendening too and maybe Shore. Saad is going to sign with Saginaw in the summer.

Zucker is probably their best forward, so Id expect alot of WHL pressure for him too.

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Goalies
Cambell
?

Defense
Clare
Clendening?
Faulk
Johns?
Merrill
Simonelli
Tinordi?

Forwards
Balisy?
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch
Nieto
Rust
Shore?
Sooth
Zucker
?
?

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Goalies
Cambell (Windsor)
?

Defense
Clare
Clendening? (London)
Faulk
Johns? (Windsor)
Merrill (Plymouth)
Simonelli
Tinordi? (London)

Forwards
Balisy? (London)
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch (Erie)
Nieto
Rust (St. Mikes)
Shore? (Kelowna)
Sooth
Zucker (Seattle)
?
?

CHL Rights are in parenthesis, did I miss anyone?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Goalies
Cambell (Windsor)
?

Defense
Clare
Clendening? (London)
Faulk
Johns? (Windsor)
Merrill (Plymouth)
Simonelli
Tinordi? (London)

Forwards
Balisy? (London)
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch (Erie)
Nieto
Rust (St. Mikes)
Shore? (Kelowna)
Sooth
Zucker (Seattle)
?
?

CHL Rights are in parenthesis, did I miss anyone?

Pretty sure Erie drafted Clare

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Goalies
Cambell (Windsor)
?

Defense
Clare (Erie)
Clendening? (London)
Faulk
Johns? (Windsor)
Merrill (Plymouth)
Simonelli
Tinordi? (London)

Forwards
Balisy? (London)
Czarnik
Etem
Fallon
Mersch (Erie)
Nieto
Rust (St. Mikes)
Shore? (Kelowna)
Sooth
Zucker (Seattle)
?
?

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Goalies
Cambell (Windsor)(Michigan)
?

Defense
Clare (Erie)(Michigan)
Clendening? (London)
Faulk (Minnesota-Duluth)
Johns? (Windsor)(Notre Dame)
Merrill (Plymouth)(Michigan)
Simonelli (Wisconsin)
Tinordi? (London)(Notre Dame)

Forwards
Balisy? (London)
Czarnik (Michigan State)
Etem
Fallon (Michigan)
Mersch (Erie)(Wisconsin)
Nieto
Rust (St. Mikes)(Notre Dame)
Shore? (Kelowna)
Sooth
Zucker (Seattle)(Denver)
?
?
I don't know if they'll need a defenseman, but Kevin Gravel joined them for an international tournament last month. I imagine he'd be on the short list to play for them full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad