Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
hasn't iowa gone scoreless pretty much? they were shut out 4-0 in back to back games.

Not knocking Kunin, just was curious last night about how he's been doing since his explosive debut. I'm sure he's been playing great, but I'll admit I was slightly disappointed to see the team has been in a mini slump.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Ohhhh, I thought he had a hat trick in his first pro game. My bad. :laugh:

Haha no worries. I actually think his most complete game was his first game, didn't look out of place at all and played well in both zones. Obviously the hat-trick was a great game. When I was down in Iowa for the game this last Friday he looked good at times, easily the most skilled player on the ice.. Started fast but the whole team lacked any intensity so it just kind of flubbed from there.

Kloos had the sickest of sick dangles that led to a great scoring chance however, just couldn't bury it.

Side note. all of the players were super great to my soon to be 3 year old, Tuch went out of his way to hit his hand in the tunnel every time and always spoke to him on his way through. Lots of potential and lots of class with that group in Iowa. We can all debate however we want about draft pick trades and such, but I am proud of the players in our organization.. so good on GMCF for that.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Haha no worries. I actually think his most complete game was his first game, didn't look out of place at all and played well in both zones. Obviously the hat-trick was a great game. When I was down in Iowa for the game this last Friday he looked good at times, easily the most skilled player on the ice.. Started fast but the whole team lacked any intensity so it just kind of flubbed from there.

Kloos had the sickest of sick dangles that led to a great scoring chance however, just couldn't bury it.

Side note. all of the players were super great to my soon to be 3 year old, Tuch went out of his way to hit his hand in the tunnel every time and always spoke to him on his way through. Lots of potential and lots of class with that group in Iowa. We can all debate however we want about draft pick trades and such, but I am proud of the players in our organization.. so good on GMCF for that.

Great to hear. Couldn't find a link but around the draft there were stories about Tuch's charity work and family ties. Won a Scholar-Athlete Award from the USHL as well. Character matters.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
30 shots in 9 games for Kunin (3.33 shots/game).. That's ridiculous as a 20 year old rookie. That shot rate would most likely put him in the top 5 for shots over a full season. Can't wait to see what this kid does during training camp next fall.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
30 shots in 9 games for Kunin (3.33 shots/game).. That's ridiculous as a 20 year old rookie. That shot rate would most likely put him in the top 5 for shots over a full season. Can't wait to see what this kid does during training camp next fall.

He is 19. He won't turn 20 until December.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

None of our prospects, even from the previous group, have really been high-volume shooters (Zucker is sometimes). We could definitely use this on the big team when Kunin's ready.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
4 + 3 for 9 matches in a weak team is very good.

On a purely numbers comparison.

Jordan Schroeder after leaving NCAA
4g 5a 11gp
3g 3a 6 playoff games, second on team in playoff scoring

There are several NCAA players that make a splash. AHL schedule is tougher and takes a toll. Even see it in the NHL with NCAA kids, Boeser on pace for 36 goals in VAN.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
According to some on these boards, Luke Kunin can't carry Alex Tuch's jock.

I haven't been following these posts between the two closely lately, but I think a high majority would agree that Kunin is a better prospect than Tuch. Tuch has already played a year in the minors though, so you could argue he's closer to making an impact.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
According to some on these boards, Luke Kunin can't carry Alex Tuch's jock.

On the Wild boards I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe on the prospects boards that I don't read?

I do know there is a small base elsewhere that are still mad because the Wild picked Kunin over Bellows. Never read the Strib comments section...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On the Wild boards I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe on the prospects boards that I don't read?

I do know there is a small base elsewhere that are still mad because the Wild picked Kunin over Bellows. Never read the Strib comments section...

Trust me, we dodged a bullet. I'm hopeful that Kunin becomes a legit top 9 NHL'er, maybe even top 6. Would be surprised if he is top line material.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No idea where you came up with that one...

If anything it's been the opposite: people skeptical of Tuch's upside after his first pro season while Kunin gets the benefit of the doubt. I mean I fall into it too and admit that I'm more excited about Kunin, but we'll see how things look after a year in Iowa. We're not in Madison anymore, Toto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad