Ludwig Borga (Tony Halme)

Babych44

Sep 8, 2012
Watched document on finnish tv of Tony Halme and it showed short view of match of Ludwig Borga & ? vs Haku & Earthquake. Haku was biting Tonys cheek etc, it looked very violent and bloody match. Could not find it from youtube..Anyone remembers this? In Japan

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Watched document on finnish tv of Tony Halme and it showed short view of match of Ludwig Borga & ? vs Haku & Earthquake. Haku was biting Tonys cheek etc, it looked very violent and bloody match. Could not find it from youtube..Anyone remembers this? In Japan
I've never heard about this but it says on Wikipedia that his last match for New Japan was him & Barbarian vs Haku & Earthquake. Maybe that's the one. Also says he knocked out (possibly sucker punched) Scott Norton awhile before he was released.

Reactions: Babych44

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This match?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is it available for free on any of the streaming services? Katsomo or whatever?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Earthquake was very mobile for his fugure. Wtf did he at 09:20... Cant imagine, i can do something like that...
Sadly, he died because some weird illness.
Earthquake is underrated. Very athletic and apparently a legitimate tough guy too.

Reactions: Roo Returns

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
All 4 guys in this match were legitimate tough guys. Everyone knows how tough Haku was but his Tongan blood brother The Barbarian wasn't far behind apparently. Halme competed in Boxing and MMA after leaving WWF while Earthquake was a Sumo champ in Japan prior to becoming a wrestler.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
All 4 guys in this match were legitimate tough guys. Everyone knows how tough Haku was but his Tongan blood brother The Barbarian wasn't far behind apparently. Halme competed in Boxing and MMA after leaving WWF while Earthquake was a Sumo champ in Japan prior to becoming a wrestler.
Barbarian was awesome. I feel like if he was 3 or 4 inches taller, Hulk Hogan would have wanted to have him as a challenger for the World Title. Hogan only seemed to want guys bigger than him though during that period especially, and as big as Barbarian was, he was still a couple of inches shorter than the Hulkster.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I'm in the middle of reading Randy Couture's autobiography and just found out Borga fought (and lost to) Couture in the UFC in 1997. I had no idea about that.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'm in the middle of reading Randy Couture's autobiography and just found out Borga fought (and lost to) Couture in the UFC in 1997. I had no idea about that.
First ever nordic UFC fighter, tapped out in 56 seconds.

Halme also popularized the finnish word ”pellepaini” for wrestling. Pellepaini literally translates as ”clownwrestling”

Reactions: Megahab

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
J.R. mentioned on his podcast years ago that Borga was not well liked by the other wrestlers during his WWF stint, and nobody was sad when he left. For Borga's sake, I hope he didn't do anything to piss off Haku or Barbarian.

Sten Siffredi

Feb 20, 2023
Halme was an incredibly adversarial and racist person. Even back home in Finland his comments and behaviour were divisive. After his martial arts career, the main nationalist populist party recruited him to rake conservative and far right votes for parliament. Prior to this he was supposed to embark on a lucrative career in Japan, but was dumb enough to hurl derogative and racist remarks towards Haku before the match began. He'd been doing it in WWF already, but mostly in Finnish, so few people knew what he was saying. This time, unaware of how dangerous Haku was, he did it in English, and made it clear in general posturing as well. They decided to teach him a grim lesson, and his career in Japan was over before it began. He never learned his lesson, and kept the same jargon going when transitioning to boxing. All his pre-fight taunts towards black fighters was based on some form of racism. In the end, his boxing career tanked, and finally his life as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad