Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman explores Lucic trade dynamics

“I think he wants to get out of Canada. I don’t think he wants to play here anymore. I think that’s another situation where the wife has seen how much heat the player has taken, I think, and isn’t always comfortable with that. I think he wants to get out of Canada, but you’ve got to find a willing partner and even if I wanted Lucic I would be saying to the Oilers, ‘What premium are you going to be giving me to do it.’ “

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Would the Oilers be interested in Lucic for Eriksson? I know it’s still Canada and that may not sit well with Milan, but here’s the thing: he may not want to be in Canada, but teams aren’t exactly lining up to take him.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Would the Oilers be interested in Lucic for Eriksson? I know it’s still Canada and that may not sit well with Milan, but here’s the thing: he may not want to be in Canada, but teams aren’t exactly lining up to take him.

He has a NMC, so I'm sure he's going to use that to force a move to a team in the States, assuming he's moved.

Reactions: Trubisky

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Well that doesn't really make sense value wise or get Milan out of the country so I don't see what that accomplishes.

How do you know what teams are or aren't interested?

Jan 21, 2018
lets be real, it's not like canada was ever his first choice. Chiarelli was the only one stupid enough to offer Lucic that contract, with that kind of money and term you basically move anywhere.

now that he has the contract i'm sure he's begging to be traded out of edmonton

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Oilers fans are gonna say no but from Avs perspective:

Lucic @ 4.5M cap hit + 10th ov + 2019 2nd for 2018 3rd.

Reactions: yababy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What is wrong with EDM? Is it true that The Oilers have to pay more to keep their players? Is it a myth?
Samething in every Canadian City. When things are going great you want to be apart of them, when they aren't the fans and media become ruthless.

Last year Edmonton fans were in love with the Coach and GM. Winnipeg fans not so much. Year later and it's switch. What happened for this to happen? One team made the playoff, one didn't.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Retention AND the 10 OA? You're out of your mind.

Come on be a little realistic. The Oilers are not going to retain any of the cap hit and give up a 10th overall pick, a second round pick and all they get back is a 3rd round pick? No just no.

I know Oilers don't touch that. I guess my post was pointless in hindsight but that's how unvaluable I personally think Lucics contract is.

Reactions: Red

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
lets be real, it's not like canada was ever his first choice. Chiarelli was the only one stupid enough to offer Lucic that contract, with that kind of money and term you basically move anywhere.

now that he has the contract i'm sure he's begging to be traded out of edmonton
Except for Montreal and LA. Who knows what other teams reached out to him and was told that he just wasn't interested

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Oilers fans are gonna say no but from Avs perspective:

Lucic @ 4.5M cap hit + 10th ov + 2019 2nd for 2018 3rd.
Lool oh boy, how can we say no to that? We retain and give you a top 10 pick?! And we even throw in a second? Holy moly sign me up!

Jking, your offer sucks.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What about this?
-Lucic is buyout proof for EDM due to his signing bonus. CAR apparently wants more toughness.
-CAR sends Rask to EDM for a late round pick+Future considerations @ the draft
-EDM buys out Victor Rask (4M AAV x 4 years/25 years old) prior to June 30th, they take a cap penalty of roughly 666k for the next eight seasons.
-After July 1st (or whenever Lucic is paid his 3.5M signing bonus), Lucic waives his NTC to be sent to CAR. CAR gives EDM a late pick. EDM retains roughly 1.33M which is roughly 22.7 percent of Lucic's cap hit.
-After his bonus is paid, Lucic is owed 22.5M spread out over the next five years. EDM retaining covers almost 5M of this remaining salary, meaning CAR only owes Lucic 17.5M over the next 5 seasons, which is a real money AAV of 3.5M. CAR effectively pays Lucic a lower salary than they were paying Rask, with the only caveat being Lucic is signed 1 year longer.
-EDM walks away with roughly 2M on the books for the next five seasons, and then roughly 666k on the books for three more seasons after that. A financial obligation that is LESS than what a Lucic buyout would have been if he had no signing bonuses. In turn, EDM frees up about 4M worth of cap for the next five seasons, a significant amount considering Lucic is buyout proof and has a full NMC.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Lool oh boy, how can we say no to that? We retain and give you a top 10 pick?! And we even throw in a second? Holy moly sign me up!

Jking, your offer sucks.

Almost as much as Lucics, it's one of the worst ones in the NHL. But I guess I should had kept my mouth shut, I should had known the reaction :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad