Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

Scout_F

Feb 20, 2006
Riesen was called Lady-Player in the AHL, he was a softie on ice. Good hands, good visions but zero thoughness.

He did really a bad job for the other young Swiss-Players who wanted to come over. Hopefully Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will proof that Swiss-Players also can have the willingness to fight for their chance to play in the NHL.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
He is a nice guy with quite a bright brain. He is more selfconfident than it's natural in an average Swiss personality and this is irritating some coaches, and people who surround him. As a player he is maybe the most talented prospect coming out of Switzerland, in my eyes he is more talented than former 1st-rounder Michel Riesen was, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i has an excellent so called "upside". Right now he is a very raw diamond with wholes in his game as not using his body enough, needs to add some grit to his game (although he has a good, strong body and very strong legs), not being involved defensiveley enough, not shooting enough). But all these things are more or less easy to learn and improve. If he has good coaches in the future and if he will learn from them - then he has a very bright future because no Swiss player has as smooth hands (he has one sensational move on his forehand), no Swiss player has such smooth and effortless skating - he has very good acceleration from 2nd to 3rd gear. In addition he has very good offensive vision because he doesnt' need to watch the puck while stickhandling, he can dish out brilliant passes and he can rush down the ice and create danger out of nothing because he is very dangerous in one on ones. He also must work with his consistency, he sometimes has shifts where he looks like a sure fire first-rounder and then he has shifts you don't even notice him. He is definitely not a can't miss prospect because he will never play in a third or fourth-line in the NHL but he has the potential to become a first- or second-liner. So if you are an organisation who is looking for a brilliant skill/skating-package with the chance to make the difference in powerplays and in creating chances out of nothing then take him quite early (between late first and early third-round). If you are looking for solid up and down grinders, reliable, no mistake-players, gritty players with and edge and the ability to shut-down the opposing offense then you won't take :eek::eek::eek::eek:i at all. To finish this statement: He is really prepared to do everything he needs to become an NHLer, he doesn't want to sit out his originally planned Swiss way if he can develop better in NA. He is prepared to do whatever it takes. All stories about "he never will come over", "he will go for the fast and easy money in Switzerland", "he has a bad character and is a spoiled brat" - all this is just bad rumours coming out of the still existing "Swiss reputation" - but don't forget - it's personalities not nationalities and in terms of Swiss personalities just judge what Mark Streit did do in his career. I gues he is a posterboy of somebody who really grinded out his way to the NHL despite having the chance of becoming rich in the Swiss league. I don't tell that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i has the personality of Streit but he is definitely also not the opposite.

thanks for the info, it's definitely appreciated

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
whatever happened to that other highly touted former first rounder Michel Reisen? wheres he now? and what kind of player is he? any chance he ever gets another shot at NHL?

Well, he's quite complacent it seems... Riesen might be very gifted offensively and a good player overall, but I'm not sure if there's a reason to think he'll ever try again to find a roster spot on an NHL team - so I'm not sure what to think of him at all.

He's on a team with a couple guys who have quite a difficult character. I mean, Daigle isn't well like anywhere close to a north american hockey arena and Reto von Arx and Marc Gianola aren't welcome in any Swiss hockey city other than Davos.

I actually don't care much if Riesen ever goes back to N.A. Bezina would be awesome, as he's REALLY a great player and a very good person, too. He should be able to do just as good as Streit, if given the chance and patience...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
He's on a team with a couple guys who have quite a difficult character. I mean, Daigle isn't well like anywhere close to a north american hockey arena ...
I don't think Daigle is disliked. In fact I've heard that he's a very likeable guy and popular with his teammmates. He just failed to live up to the hype, but that's nothing to do with character, imo.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Getting back on track about :eek::eek::eek::eek:i...forgive me if I missed it anywhere, but does a club in the CHL currently hold his rights?
If not, is there a chance he will come over to NA to play if drafted in the upcoming CHL import draft?

Thanks.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Getting back on track about :eek::eek::eek::eek:i...forgive me if I missed it anywhere, but does a club in the CHL currently hold his rights?
If not, is there a chance he will come over to NA to play if drafted in the upcoming CHL import draft?

Thanks.
He's waiting to be drafted. He will talk with his future team to know what's the best thing to do for his progression and if the CHL is the best option, many teams will want him early in the import draft.

He may also go in the NCAA or stay in his country...

facey*

sorry to bring back super old thread... i'm just wondering where he is now? was in the Q last year, impressive offensive talent... as an over-ager, but none the less.

Guy Flaming

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
He wasn't even a point-per-game player as an over ager. Why would Tampa waste a contract on him? Very inconsistent player. He had a tryout with Minnesota, and they didn't like what they saw either.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
He wasn't even a point-per-game player as an over ager. Why would Tampa waste a contract on him? Very inconsistent player. He had a tryout with Minnesota, and they didn't like what they saw either.

He's a 1989 so he would be an overager this season, and not last year. And don't forget had a very deep team, they traded for guys like Veilleux and McMillan so :eek::eek::eek::eek:i was mostly stuck on the 3rd line. You're right though, he was inconsistent, but he had the size and the skill so why not try to develop him into a more consistent player.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
He's a 1989 so he would be an overager this season, and not last year. And don't forget had a very deep team, they traded for guys like Veilleux and McMillan so :eek::eek::eek::eek:i was mostly stuck on the 3rd line. You're right though, he was inconsistent, but he had the size and the skill so why not try to develop him into a more consistent player.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i was stuck on the 3rd line well before those trades. In fact, if :eek::eek::eek::eek:i had played up to his potential, it's possible that Rimouski may have chosen not to acquire at least one of those two players.

Saying he had size was a misnomer, as he never used it and gave up the puck at any indication of contact. Was never first in the corners, never able to win a battle along the boards. He could play a full season with eggs in his pockets and then make omelets for his teammates on the last day of the season.

He's a pretty good skater, and has nice skills, very smooth in both his movement and his release. But he stood around a lot, especially in the defensive zone (a real no-no on a team run by Clem Jodoin) and just didn't seem to want to work for the puck or for position. He just always seemed to be waiting for someone to do all the grunt work for him, so he could then take the puck and do something pretty. If he was given some room and some opportunity, he could make a nice play, but he never seemed to try to make room for himself, nor did he seem to have a knack for finding that open space on the ice. Struggling in those facets at the junior level really weakened any hope of advancing.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
What are his stats since returning home?
Looks like hockeydb collapsed as far as some euro leagues go :(

According to the website for the Swiss National League A, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i has played 9 games with SCL-Tigers and has a goal and an assist. Most of his teammates have played 28-30 games, so I'm not sure if that means he is injured or is he was sent elsewhere. He doesn't appear to be listed on the Tigers roster anymore and I didn't see him when flipping through the National League B rosters (although I did see Cory Pecker and Matt Murley, which was neat).

SwissButch

.. ehm no…
Sep 14, 2007
Murten
According to the website for the Swiss National League A, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i has played 9 games with SCL-Tigers and has a goal and an assist. Most of his teammates have played 28-30 games, so I'm not sure if that means he is injured or is he was sent elsewhere. He doesn't appear to be listed on the Tigers roster anymore and I didn't see him when flipping through the National League B rosters (although I did see Cory Pecker and Matt Murley, which was neat).

He had a trayout with Bern when the season allready started but they never gave him a contract. Afterwards he signed in Langnau a month or so back. The season here begins early september. Thats why he has only 9 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad