Luc Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
clay said:
haha, good one. Bourdon is definately a stud. Although I would have rather seen the Canucks pick Staal, there is no doubt in my mind that Bourdon is going to be a star in the NHL for a long time. I would compare him to a bigger more aggressive (good and bad) Scott Niedermayer.
Actually Yandle still is and will be the #1 d-man in Moncton this year. Of course he is almost a year older and it is junior. Is he as good an NHL prospect as Bourdon? Not even close.

But we're still more than happy with how he's progressing as a 4th rounder.

Last edited:

AgentNaslund*

Cerebral said:
I might be the one of the only ones but I'm not extremely high on Luc Bourdon. He has an impressive array of skills but he really reminds me of Jovanovski and McCabe with some of his actions on the ice. A lot of people were raving about his performance in the WJC's but I saw him make a lot of subtle mistakes that will be magnified tenfold at the NHL level. I question his overall hockey sense and he seems prone to making some strange mistakes when they're just not neccessary.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be a solid NHL player and an awesome selection at #10 overall for the Canucks. However, I don't think he has this Phaneuf-like potential that some are seeing in him. I expect him to develop into a Jovanovski-type defenceman with a bit less offensive upside (which, once again, is fantastic for where he was selected in the draft). Along with that, I also expect him to make a lot of unforced errors that make Canucks fans cringe at times. I don't think he'll ever have the decision-making ability or the natural hockey sense to develop into a dominant #1 like Phaneuf will be.

Canuck fans dont expect and dont give a crap about what Calgary fans think about our prospects, all you guys do his bash the crap outa Canuck property. But thank you for your comment. He will turn out better then the guy Calgary drafted with their first round pick in 05. He does have more foot speed then Pheanuf and Marc Staal, for those RAngers fans blindly bashing the crap outa Bourdon.

but I saw him make a lot of subtle mistakes that will be magnified tenfold at the NHL level.

I saw him make mistakes, but not as exaggerated as you make it sound. WE all know you guys try to make it sound worst then it actually is. J Good job tyring to make Canuck property sound bad. One of you guys tried that crap on Cory Schneider. Bourdon played awesome, against Team USA, and played awesome against Russia. He was on pace to tripling the amount of points he had last season, until he got injured, none hte fact, a solid prospect. Will have a legit shot at making team Canada in 2010. Why? Hes big and fast. Something TEam Canada didnt have in our Defence in 2006.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
AgentNaslund said:
Canuck fans dont expect and dont give a crap about what Calgary fans think about our prospects, all you guys do his bash the crap outa Canuck property. But thank you for your comment. He will turn out better then the guy Calgary drafted with their first round pick in 05. He does have more foot speed then Pheanuf and Marc Staal, for those RAngers fans blindly bashing the crap outa Bourdon.
I'm actually an Oilers fan and I hate all things that are Calgary... :) However, I think you're going to be extremely disappointed if you expect Bourdon to develop into a better defenceman than Phaneuf.

AgentNaslund said:
I saw him make mistakes, but not as exaggerated as you make it sound. WE all know you guys try to make it sound worst then it actually is. J Good job tyring to make Canuck property sound bad. One of you guys tried that crap on Cory Schneider. Bourdon played awesome, against Team USA, and played awesome against Russia. He was on pace to tripling the amount of points he had last season, until he got injured, none hte fact, a solid prospect. Will have a legit shot at making team Canada in 2010. Why? Hes big and fast. Something TEam Canada didnt have in our Defence in 2006.
How am I trying to make Bourdon sound worse than he is? I actually think I was quite complimentary in my description of him. I forgot that I was involved in the Canucks conspiracy that tries to make all Vancouver prospects sound like dirt... :dunno: Bourdon has all the attributes to be a top notch defender in the NHL except his head in my opinion. I personally feel he'll be prone to some bad turnovers and he'll get caught out of position throughout his career but feel free to disagree with me on that. Just because I see a lot of Jovanovski and McCabe in Bourdon doesn't mean I'm slamming the guy as a prospect. Heck, most teams would be thrilled if they could draft a player of that ilk with the 10th overall pick in the draft.

One thing is for certain, I don't think he has nearly the composure and positioning of Phaneuf.

Phanuthier*

AgentNaslund said:
Yeah! That stupid Flames fan!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Phaneuf faced a lot of the same developmental problems that Bourdon is facing now. I'm not exactly sure at which stages each prospect had them, but Phaneuf is an example of how they can be overcome.

Both will be great defensemen in their own rights. Phaneuf will be better, but I'm perfectly okay with having one of the 3 best defensive prospects in the world (along with Phaneuf and Johnson).

Bourdon, like Phaneuf, will be noticed right away because it's very likely he'll be replacing Jovanovski's role right out of training camp. He almost made the Canucks' squad for this season, and he's improved leaps and bounds since then. I would wager on him finishing 2nd to Malkin in the Calder race next season.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Cerebral said:
I'm actually an Oilers fan and I hate all things that are Calgary... :) However, I think you're going to be extremely disappointed if you expect Bourdon to develop into a better defenceman than Phaneuf
Phaneuf = 03 Draft

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
AgentNaslund said:

take a deep breath buddy. obviously I'm a Ranger fan, and therefore part of the axis of evil that's keeping Bourdon behind Phaneuf and Staal on all the top prospects list, but if you read the thread, there's a lot of Canuck fans asking the very same questions that Cerebral is. and frankly, I don't see how someone who has watched Bourdon can't ask those questions.

Phanuthier*

Not only Staal, but I'd have him behind Ryan Sutar and Shea Weber too. I'd also have him below Ryan Parent, but maybe because Ryan Parent impressed me so much at the WJC. I would, however, put him above Cam Barker.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Phanuthier said:
Not only Staal, but I'd have him behind Ryan Sutar and Shea Weber too. I'd also have him below Ryan Parent, but maybe because Ryan Parent impressed me so much at the WJC. I would, however, put him above Cam Barker.

And Bourdon didn't impress you at the World Juniors? You do realize that him and Staal were on the tournament 1st all-star team as the two best defensmen.

Phanuthier*

clay said:
And Bourdon didn't impress you at the World Juniors? You do realize that him and Staal were on the tournament 1st all-star team as the two best defensmen.
No, he didn't. Staal and Parent did.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
Yes he did. Bourdon made the all tournament team.
Thanks for telling me whether or not Luc Bourdon impressed me

PS: Since Steve Downie made the all star team, I guess he's one of the top 3 forward prospects in the world.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Phanuthier said:

PS: Since Steve Downie made the all star team, I guess he's one of the top 3 forward prospects in the world.

I guess Malkin's gonna be held to the same level of mediocrity as Steve Downie, since he made the all-tournament team too!

Phanuthier*

kmad said:
I guess Malkin's gonna be held to the same level of mediocrity as Steve Downie, since he made the all-tournament team too!
I agree

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:

Downie was one of Canada's MVP's in the tourney. Don't be calling him a scrub, because he wasn't. Downie deserved to be there. I guess all of Johnson, Bourdon, Malkin, Tukonen, and Rask will be scrubs in the future according to this guy.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
Downie was one of Canada's MVP's in the tourney. Don't be calling him a scrub, because he wasn't. Downie deserved to be there. I guess all of Johnson, Bourdon, Malkin, Tukonen, and Rask will be scrubs in the future according to this guy.
I'm not.

But I don't think he's in the same class as Malkin either

Randall Graves*

kmad said:
Phaneuf faced a lot of the same developmental problems that Bourdon is facing now. I'm not exactly sure at which stages each prospect had them, but Phaneuf is an example of how they can be overcome.

Both will be great defensemen in their own rights. Phaneuf will be better, but I'm perfectly okay with having one of the 3 best defensive prospects in the world (along with Phaneuf and Johnson).

Bourdon, like Phaneuf, will be noticed right away because it's very likely he'll be replacing Jovanovski's role right out of training camp. He almost made the Canucks' squad for this season, and he's improved leaps and bounds since then. I would wager on him finishing 2nd to Malkin in the Calder race next season.
You honestly think he's the 3rd best defensive prospect in the world?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Of the guys you listed, I'd only consider Johnson a prospect. The rest are all full-time NHLers.

I think at this point Weber and Staal are better defensemen than Bourdon, but I still think Bourdon is a far better prospect. The tool-set he has...it's like Rob Blake, but with speed. It's just a question of putting it together.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
clay said:
I really find it funny how so many people hate on Bourdon just because the Canucks own him.
I'd in fact say its quite the opposite. He gets pimped to no end by people who have seen him play 2-3 times in a tournament.

I have seen quite a few of his Moncton games (well a few), and he has a HUGE upside, but has obvious faults right now - decision making, positioning, and awareness. These will come with maturity and age, and Bourdon has all the makings of a stud.

Randall Graves*

clay said:
I really find it funny how so many people hate on Bourdon just because the Canucks own him.
I don't hate him because he's a canuck, I just think it's dumb to compare him to Phanuef, or definitively say he's one of the top 3 d prospects in the world..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad