Luc Bourdon

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Swisshockeyfan, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swisshockeyfan

Swisshockeyfan Registered User

Just wondering what kind of upside the kid has. which defensman could he be compared to and when do you think he could be ready for the big league?

thanks for your opinions!!

2. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

upside: #1 defenseman
    comparison: a more physical Derek Morris
    NHL ready: 1-2 years

3. KStewart113

KStewart113 Registered User

Upside...#1 easily, some scouts have said he could turn into the next Phaneuf(who wasn't seen as a 9A when drafted...)

He hits great, is a great skater whos solid on his skates. I'm a Canucks fan, and got to see him a few times, he WILL be playing on the Canucks next season, no question.

My comparison would be Mattias Ohlund, except faster/better skater, and a bit better offensively(then again Ohlund doesn't get as many chances offensivly in Vancouver)

4. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO

Uh..what? Ive never heard that. Who are these "scouts"?

5. littleguybigstik

littleguybigstik Registered User

Bourdon looks like a young chelios. Good physical skills, nice point shot, decent passing and extremely mobile. He looked pretty quick out there, just seems to pinch a little much. But that will change as he learns to read the breakouts better.

6. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

hes definetly a future #1 Dman put him in the same class as Staal, Suter, Barker, Corburn

7. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

No one in particular, both he and Phaneuf are around the same size, had the same skillset at the same age, were both quite physical and were both drafted at around the same position, therefore people assumed Bourdon would also follow that same short learning curve which I don't think anyone will in a while.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  8. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Optomistic Canuck fans? :)

9. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

Definetly

10. xtra

xtra Registered User

Home Page:
    Actually most canuck fans are torn on what he would be. While we would love for him to turn into a Phaneuf we won't hold our breath (cause players like him are rare) but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent and ability to do so.

I think if he puts it together he could be dominant maybe not as much as Chelios was but alot better than Derek Morris.

11. ahmon

ahmon Registered User

Home Page:
    as a canucks fan... he looks overrated.. he reminds me a lot of jovanovski( his defensive play and giveaways)..

he might still be a top pairing dman in the nhl.. but phaneuf?? hell no..

12. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    Reminds me of Brad Stuart with more of a physical edge. ^ How you can compare him to Jovanovski is beyond me - but then again if Bourdon is named to every team Canada like Jovo is I wont complain. :)

13. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I still like the Jovo-type comparisons myself. You want to love his offensive instincts and his physical play, but there is still that loose-cannon element in his own zone sometimes. Some people won't get it, but Sheldon Souray is like that too. Scott Stevens when he was younger. Kevin Hatcher. But on the other hand, because people have been saying that for so long, Bourdon is visibly trying to concentrate a bit more and tighten up, and maybe it'll all come down to what kind of coaches he gets. He can go any way he wants to really, but he'll always be more fun to watch if he stays on the edge.

14. Laurentides

Laurentides Registered User

Home Page:
    My biggest concern about him is his play in the offensive zone. He has a real rocket of a shot but 90% of the the times he shoot it finishes on pads on players in front of him. Its almost like he's aiming for the pads.... ;)

15. Seph

Seph Registered User

Home Page:
    Players that try too hard to get a shot on net often have this happen. As they age, they realize it's more important to get the shot around the shot blockers than to get it on net (that way you at least get it deep, blocked shots from the point often lead to odd man rushes against). You'd be shocked how many fans don't even realize this. Constantly people are complaining that such and such defenseman can't hit the net, when often it's obvious the guy just wanted to get it past the forward covering him.

Assuming he learns to value defense first, he'll learn this as he matures. But it does illustrate an interesting point, which does he value more? If he doesn't mature to play more of a steady defense first game, the Jovo/Souray comparison could become valid.

16. ahmon

ahmon Registered User

Home Page:

how? because he plays exactly like him.. i've seen him run around way too much in his own end during the wjcs this year..
    and then make a great offensive gamble that resulted positively for the team..

his partner letang had way better defensive positioning but obviously lacked bourdon's physical attributes..

rite now hes on pace to become a similiar player to jovanovski.... which is very average on defence..

if he develops his defensive game.. then yes he deserves the #1 dman hype.. but believing that he will be the next phaneuf.. is not very realistic..

17. Vman

Vman Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    upside: #1 defenseman
    comparison: Dion Phaneuf
    NHL ready: With the Canucks next season!! (hopefully)

18. Fedz

Fedz Registered User

GM of Junior Hockey Team
    Home Page:
    Being a Canuck fan, I may have some homerism in me, but he's good enough that he almost made the team at camp, and *was* (until an injury) an option to sign and bring in for #4 minutes on the Canucks instead of trading assets for a dman. Don't believe me you can read the Province a little while ago. Nonis was even quoted as saying, "nothing is impossible."

Though, I still see flaws in his game. He takes himself out of the play for a hit too much, and would definitely get burned in the NHL, though I still don't think that'll stop him from playing here next year.

19. Russian_fanatic

Russian_fanatic Registered User

He reminds me a faster, but smaller Rob Blake.

20. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    He reminds me alot of McCabe...thats not a bad thing but he has to improve mental strength on the ice.

21. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    I might be the one of the only ones but I'm not extremely high on Luc Bourdon. He has an impressive array of skills but he really reminds me of Jovanovski and McCabe with some of his actions on the ice. A lot of people were raving about his performance in the WJC's but I saw him make a lot of subtle mistakes that will be magnified tenfold at the NHL level. I question his overall hockey sense and he seems prone to making some strange mistakes when they're just not neccessary.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be a solid NHL player and an awesome selection at #10 overall for the Canucks. However, I don't think he has this Phaneuf-like potential that some are seeing in him. I expect him to develop into a Jovanovski-type defenceman with a bit less offensive upside (which, once again, is fantastic for where he was selected in the draft). Along with that, I also expect him to make a lot of unforced errors that make Canucks fans cringe at times. I don't think he'll ever have the decision-making ability or the natural hockey sense to develop into a dominant #1 like Phaneuf will be.

22. Phanuthier*

Phanuthier* Guest

Exactly what Cerebral said. jtuzzi also has a pretty valid comparison, Derek Morris with a mean streak.

23. Alberta Yote

Alberta Yote Owns the Yotes

But remember, Derek Morris was also supposed to be better than, well, Derek Morris.

With Yandle around Bourdon is still the #2 d-man on his junior team though. ;)

24. clay

clay Registered User

haha, good one. Bourdon is definately a stud. Although I would have rather seen the Canucks pick Staal, there is no doubt in my mind that Bourdon is going to be a star in the NHL for a long time. I would compare him to a bigger more aggressive (good and bad) Scott Niedermayer.

25. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    I don't really think Scott Niedermayer is a good projection for Luc Bourdon. Niedermayer is such a fantastic player because of his effortless stride and his great positioning in the defensive zone. Bourdon, from what I've seen, doesn't have the positioning of a guy like Niedermayer and tries to make up for it with the tough, physical side of his game. It works for him at times but he gets caught out of position quite a bit (like a Jovanovski or McCabe) and that's a definite flaw in his game.

He has a great physical package to offer but I'm not sold on his hockey sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.