Luc Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
AgentNaslund said:
Bourdon is good with the puck. Hes played totally diffrently at the QMJHL level vs the pro level. Hes proved he can play at a pro level, by playing awesome for 4 pre season games. Hes can easily make the AHL. we have plenty of time to develope him.
Glad he proved everything he needed in 4 games.....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
jtuzzi said:
Please don't compare Bourdon to Poti....
If Bourdon played a full season in the NHL and got any sort of minutes he wouldn't look much better then Poti....In time he will but no need to praise him as a sure fire first pari defensmen. He has his short commings.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
monster_bertuzzi said:
He didn't look out of place at all during NHL exhibition. Now granted, NHL exhibition is pretty much just glorified AHL games, but still - for a kid that age to show as much poise as he did (especially on the PP) is something special. Combine that with his physical play and you should understand why Canuck fans are excited about em'.
I understand but everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves. He is a good defense prospect, thats it. People seem to forget how bad he played in the prospects game yet they remember a few games in preseason.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
monster_bertuzzi said:
Isn't Val'Dor one of the worst teams in the league?
They are 4 and 7...bad but Bourdon hasn't helped the cause. He has 7 points in 6 games yet he is still a -8...he needs to do something in his own end.

Towelie*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I understand but everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves. He is a good defense prospect, thats it. People seem to forget how bad he played in the prospects game yet they remember a few games in preseason.

So wait. Four good games proves nothing according to you, but one bad game (top prospects) means everything? That is quite obscure logic. Plus, the quality of play is better at the exhibition, granted probably less intense.

Towelie*

Jason MacIsaac said:
They are 4 and 7...bad but Bourdon hasn't helped the cause. He has 7 points in 6 games yet he is still a -8...he needs to do something in his own end.

His plus/minus means close to nothing, everyone knows Val Dor sucks.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Comfortably Numb said:
His plus/minus means close to nothing, everyone knows Val Dor sucks.
They don't suck that bad...thats my point. Other defensmen seem to be closer to 0 then Bourdon in 6 more games.

About the point above....I didn't say the prospect game means everything but neither does 4 camp games verses AHL/ECHL compititon.

Maithz

One of my friends play versus him in a screamage in the val d'or training camp and he says that Bourdon will be in the NHL in couple of years and he could be one of the best d-man , he has everything to be a number 1 d-man

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
Well personally if Letang was bigger I would take him over Bourdon much better defensivly. Bourdon is -8 in 6 games so far....not overly impressive.

Respectfully, Jason, I think you've lost your mind.

Seeing them play a few times last year, it seems pretty apparent to me that Luc Bourdon is better than Kris Letang in pretty much every aspect of the game.

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
jason: bourdon plays heavy minutes, and in every situation, for his junior team (one of the worst junior teams in the country) and you seem to think that a +\- stat shows something about how well he is playing. during training camp and preseason Mark Crawford was raving about Bourdon every day, even when questions were being directed about other d-men. perhaps someone who has coached blake/foote/jovanovski/ohlund/canada's olympic team might have a slightly better eye for talent/potential in d-men than some uninformed poster.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
They don't suck that bad...thats my point. Other defensmen seem to be closer to 0 then Bourdon in 6 more games.

About the point above....I didn't say the prospect game means everything but neither does 4 camp games verses AHL/ECHL compititon.

He plays the most amount of minutes on his team, and he's the only one who plays defense on that team. Everyone else abandons the team, and frankly I don't think you've ever seen Bourdon play.

bure94

Jason MacIsaac said:
Well personally if Letang was bigger I would take him over Bourdon much better defensivly. Bourdon is -8 in 6 games so far....not overly impressive.

Scott Niedermayer is -1 and on pace for -14 on the year.

Obviously he sucks.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Matt MacInnis said:
Respectfully, Jason, I think you've lost your mind.

Seeing them play a few times last year, it seems pretty apparent to me that Luc Bourdon is better than Kris Letang in pretty much every aspect of the game.
I don't see it. Letang was just as impressive at the under 18 as Bourdon and every time I seen him is much more creative with the puck and better positioned in the defensive zone. Bourdon may be a little bit faster, bigger and more physical. Give Letang 3 inches and I think it would be really close.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
wetcoastwhale said:
jason: bourdon plays heavy minutes, and in every situation, for his junior team (one of the worst junior teams in the country) and you seem to think that a +\- stat shows something about how well he is playing. during training camp and preseason Mark Crawford was raving about Bourdon every day, even when questions were being directed about other d-men. perhaps someone who has coached blake/foote/jovanovski/ohlund/canada's olympic team might have a slightly better eye for talent/potential in d-men than some uninformed poster.
I have only seen them once this year and Bourdon seemed lost in the defensive zone. Offensivly he had a good game and like allways he played physical. Letang looked much more confident with the puck in the defensive zone and much better positioned.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Russian_fanatic said:
He plays the most amount of minutes on his team, and he's the only one who plays defense on that team. Everyone else abandons the team, and frankly I don't think you've ever seen Bourdon play.
Frankly I seen him much more then you have and Bourdon doesn't exactly cover all assaignments in the defensive zone and focuses a little too much on offense. There are players who commit to defense on the team also.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
bure94 said:
Scott Niedermayer is -1 and on pace for -14 on the year.

Obviously he sucks.
Well if we were to do the same thing with Bourdon he would be -80 by years end but nobody is stupid enough to say that was true.

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Ok ok....ive seen Letang and Bourdon PLENTY of times last year and this year. Bourdon is right now the best all around defenseman in the Q. His defense play is actually is STRONGEST point, his +- is bad just because he play 35 min a game and his goalies are atrocious. He can hurt people so bad that they now always try to go on the other defenseman side to enter the zone. At least 4-5 BIG hits a game minimum. He is also good on offense but he often shoots on the pads of adversary when he shoots from the point. As for Letang, he is by far better offensively, he can carry the puck the whole rink without anybody touching him. The negative thing about him is that he often (mange le puck....how is it in english) not pass it and try to do too much. For the poster that said that he is good in is zone....what are u talking about, his zone is offense and he doesnt care about helping on defense. very selfish player on and off the ice but so good on powerplay.

As for Val d'Or team, they are doing better right now and will do pretty well in the near future im sure. The players that came back from NHL camps have now came back to earth , Olivier Latendresse-Pat Bordeleau-Sebastien Bisaillon-Luc Bourdon-Kris Letang. Just ask me if you guys have any questions, ive seen those guys play a lot.

Vote Quimby

Apr 6, 2005
Langley BC
Jason MacIsaac said:
Bourdon I feel will run into porblems when everything is moving that much faster at the pro level and I tink he will struggle with making decisions in the defensive zone. He has an excellent skill set but there have been a lot of defensmen with good skill sets but no tool box.

Not sure what you are basing this on. During the pre-season he looked great and if he wasn't 18, he would have made the team without any difficulty. The only reason he was sent down was his age. He scored goals in pre-season, skated very well, he hit (a number of excellent hits) and he was very sound defensively. Yes he was playing pre-season but it was at least as good as an AHL game and he matched up well with some of the big, strong forwards in the league. I am not saying he is a guaranteed star but to make a comment like this, you need to have seen some glaring flaws in his game and right now, there is none.

Please elaborate on your comment? Why do you think he will run into problems? He already has NHL calibre skating and size (6'2", 200lbs) and his defensive game was good.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
I have only seen them once this year and Bourdon seemed lost in the defensive zone. Offensivly he had a good game and like allways he played physical. Letang looked much more confident with the puck in the defensive zone and much better positioned.

Bourdon's main strength is his defensive zone coverage my friend, and then his hitting ability.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Russian_fanatic said:
Bourdon's main strength is his defensive zone coverage my friend, and then his hitting ability.
I just don't see it. Bourdon has never played well defensivly verses Cape Breton. He allways hits, nobody is argueing that. His defensive play can use some work IMO.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
I just don't see it. Bourdon has never played well defensivly verses Cape Breton. He allways hits, nobody is argueing that. His defensive play can use some work IMO.

It almost seems as if you believe what you want to believe and choose to ignore the opinions of anybody else who's seen him in more than one game.
It's obvious to many people that plus minus on a poor team is a misleading stat at best. I'm starting to wonder if there is any convincing you otherwise.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
Well if we were to do the same thing with Bourdon he would be -80 by years end but nobody is stupid enough to say that was true.

then why do you constantly use his plus/minus as one of the telling point's to your argument. Your "evidence" consists of seeing him in 1 game and his plus/minus stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad