Luc Bourdon VS Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
Not to take away anything form Staal but I'm I the only one that think that Bourdon could be selected ahead of Staal ? I think both will go in top10 with Johnson being the first D picked.

I just can't get over Bourdon all-around skill, play and potiential. To be honest, I might not have seen enough of Staal and too much of Bourdon ;) .

:dunno:

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
C-Saku Koivu MTL said:
Not to take away anything form Staal but I'm I the only one that think that Bourdon could be selected ahead of Staal ? I think both will go in top10 with Johnson being the first D picked.

I just can't get over Bourdon all-around skill, play and potiential. To be honest, I might not have seen enough of Staal and too much of Bourdon ;) .

:dunno:

You are not the only one.

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
This has nothing to do with bashing the QMJHL has I'm am a quebecois and fan of the QMJHL but does the fact that Bourdon played in the Q(witch is not know for D-man) hurt him in his draft rank or gives Staal an edge on him since he played in OHL. :dunno:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
In my limited viewings of Bourdon (I think 3 times, perhaps 4), he's been absolutely horrible and I'be come away completely unimpressed. In the Under 18's games I watched, combined with the Remax challenge and the Prospects game I just didn't like what I saw from him. He just seems like he falls asleep a lot and makes a ton of stupid bonehead plays. I just don't see a good head on his shoulders. I can definitely see the talent level there though. Kind of reminds me of Timmy Gleason at the same age. They make a lot of the same mistakes, (going for the hit at the wrong time, pinching at the wrong time, clearing the puck through the crease and infront of the net, etc). But Gleason improved and has become an excellent defenseman. However you also have to look at how far Gleason fell in his draft year for those very concerns.

I guess we'll see. I see Staal as the exact opposite. He's solid as a rock on defense, rarely gets beat, rarely gives away the puck, rarely makes any mistakes. However I'm not sure of where his offensive potential will lead him at the NHL level. I don't see him having huge NHL upside (a number 3-4 guy). And you don't really use a top 10 pick on a defenseman whos going to become a second pairing guy.

As of this point, I'd definitely take Staal though, even if i have concerns over his NHL upside.

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
Thanx Brock, everyones have their own opinion and I respect it. And BTW talk about unimpresse and seems to not have a head on their shoulder, Ryan Parent boy he was terrible at the U18. :(

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
C-Saku Koivu MTL said:
Thanx Brock, everyones have their own opinion and I respect it. And BTW talk about unimpresse and seems to not have a head on their shoulder, Ryan Parent boy he was terrible at the U18. :(

He definitely wasn't very good at the Under 18's. I thought our best defenseman were Mikkleson and Letang.

Parent is an interesting defenseman though. He's probably a similar situation to Bourdon. I've seen Parent play well though many times (however seen him play poorly too). I'm not so sure hes a first rounder though, but because he's got size, combined with skating ability he very well could be still. His skating ability, combined with his usual physical presence makes him still a very attractive prospect. He's just too tentative with the puck a lot, and thus is where his mistakes come. He's got to learn to calm down and just play it cool with the puck.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
C-Saku Koivu MTL said:

Mike Keenan seems to like him just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad