Luc Bourdon the next Dion Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Phaneuf picked 9th overall in the 2003 draft, Bourdon picked 10th overall in the 2005 draft, both with Canadian teams. They have both been said to be physical defensemen who sometimes make the wrong descision. Phaneuf proved this wrong in the World Juniors, showing he was an extremely dominant D-man. With Bourdon more than likely to make the team this year to say the least, it is time for Bourdon to step up to the plate to deliver a performance to shock everyone.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
DoobieDoobieDo said:
No, Phaneuf can change the game with a hit. I don't think Bourdon can do that.
watch the WJC this year..

I try to be as non-homer as possible, but Bourdon can hit like hell.

Vote Quimby

Apr 6, 2005
Langley BC
I think Bourdon can be an impact player like Phaneuf but he plays a different game. Phaneuf is more like a Scott Stevens type with big open ice hits and good offensive skills. Bourdon is an excellent skater with great passing skills who can hit but he doesn't do the crunching open ice hits that Phaneuf does.

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
jtuzzi said:
watch the WJC this year..

I try to be as non-homer as possible, but Bourdon can hit like hell.

i agree, Bourdon, physically dominated against 19 - 20 year olds in the canada junior evaluation camp red vs white games. i expect the same come WJC time

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Bourdon is a great hitter. He can hit as hard as Dion no prob. It's just Dion does it more often, and Bourdon participates in the rush/offence more.

Kasparov*

Honestly, and I know i'll get flamed for this.. but I like Bourdon a bit more than Phaneuf..

A Good Flying Bird*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
No, Phaneuf can change the game with a hit. I don't think Bourdon can do that.

Speaking of changing a game with a hit.

Jack Johnson had an explosive game against Boston College last night.
Saw parts of it on Comcast local.

AMAZING game. He's jumped right in to college hockey and he's dominating with skating, passing, and HITTING. Shooting's not bad either.

Brian Burke is a moron.
There's just no way that Bobby Ryan can be as good as Jack Johnson.
It's inconceivable.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
If you compare Bourdon and Phaneuf when they were draft they are similar.

But Phaneuf develop very well the next two years. I hope Bourdon can do that.

KH1

I should know better to insult Phaneuf but Bourdon is very much like him--both are very good defense prospects who are being grossly overhyped by their respective team's fanbases. Phaneuf has already been written in by many as the Flames #1 defender after a good week or so and it appears that Canucks fans are willing to do the same for Bourdon.

Both are very nice prospects, neither is as good as really elite defense prospects like Jack Johnson and Ryan Suter.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
King Henry I said:
Both are very nice prospects, neither is as good as really elite defense prospects like Jack Johnson and Ryan Suter.

I'd take Phaneuf over both those guys in a heartbeat and I'm certainly not alone.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Bourdon is very muscular and he has great hands too. He'll surprise a lot of people. If there's one guy that the habs might ahead taken in front of Price it's him, not Brulé... Pierre McGuire said it and he was almost crucified for that. lol

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Kasparov said:
Honestly, and I know i'll get flamed for this.. but I like Bourdon a bit more than Phaneuf..

They are not even close, Phaneuf brings allot more to the game than just his physical side. Bourdon is okay but he is not on the same level as Phaneuf.

Transported Upstater

thomasincanada said:
I'd take Phaneuf over both those guys in a heartbeat and I'm certainly not alone.

+1

You are most definitely not alone...

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
Bourdon might be a good hitter and he has good offensive abilities, but his hockey sense is not at the same level as Phaneuf. He often makes questionable plays.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
All Star United said:
Bourdon might be a good hitter and he has good offensive abilities, but his hockey sense is not at the same level as Phaneuf. He often makes questionable plays.

Well when comparing a 20 year old to an 18 year old, it's hard to compare hockey sense. I'm sure when Phaneuf was 18 his hockey sense wasn't developed, and he made some questionable plays.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
King Henry I said:
I should know better to insult Phaneuf but Bourdon is very much like him--both are very good defense prospects who are being grossly overhyped by their respective team's fanbases. Phaneuf has already been written in by many as the Flames #1 defender after a good week or so and it appears that Canucks fans are willing to do the same for Bourdon.

This is probably one of the worst posts Ive ever read.

A Good Flying Bird*

Eb0la11 said:
This is probably one of the worst posts Ive ever read.

Dude, if you're going to criticize someone's post, consider elaborating.

Because your post isn't looking so hot right now.

I liked what I saw of Phaneuf in the Flames-Wings game. But he's got a long way to go yet. A long way. Which is only natureal for a guy his age.

Question to Phaneuf phans: WHat's his skating like? How is his passing?

Because Jack Johnson is a GREAT skater. His passing skills are phenomenal.
He's not as big as Dion. But he loves to hit.

I don'tb see how Phaneuf could have much more than Johnson. Quite simply, I can't remember the last time I saw a young defenseman who did everything so effin well.

Carolina got lucky when Anaheim drafted Ryan. Don't get me wrong. Ryan is great. But Johnson, well, you'll all see soon enough.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
flambers said:
They are not even close, Phaneuf brings allot more to the game than just his physical side. Bourdon is okay but he is not on the same level as Phaneuf.
yea Bourdon is alright I suppose.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
TinCanCommunications said:
Dude, if you're going to criticize someone's post, consider elaborating.

Because your post isn't looking so hot right now.

I liked what I saw of Phaneuf in the Flames-Wings game. But he's got a long way to go yet. A long way. Which is only natureal for a guy his age.

Because Jack Johnson is a GREAT skater. His passing skills are phenomenal.
He's not as big as Dion. But he loves to hit.

I don'tb see how Phaneuf could have much more than Johnson. Quite simply, I can't remember the last time I saw a young defenseman who did everything so effin well.

Carolina got lucky when Anaheim drafted Ryan. Don't get me wrong. Ryan is great. But Johnson, well, you'll all see soon enough.

You may want to watch them play before annointing Johnson better. If you have to ask people on here about Phaneufs game then you are in NO position to say who is better Johnson or Phaneuf.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
flambers said:

While at this point Phaneuf is well ahead of Bourdon, remember that Bourdon is 2 years younger than him. Honestly, at the same age, they are at least comparable. Obviously Bourdon has a ton of developing to do over the next 2 years if he's going to be like Phaneuf, but Phaneuf developed a lot over those 2 years as well. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility (i hope :propeller )

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
TinCanCommunications said:

His skating isn't great, but its nowhere near a hinderance in anyway (Suter and Coburn were better for example), and his first pass is very good, has always been a strength, as for free flow passing, once again, not great, but good. Dion's advantage is positioning and awareness, so he is rarely beat and rarely caught out of position (this was his junior days anyways, he is still a rookie). Its what has helped skyrocket him up the prospect charts.

I think it was because the poster said Suter and Johnson were the only elite defense prospects. Phaneuf is clearly the top tier of prospects (not just d-prospects) and Johnson and Suter are as well, Barker is on the cusp where the likes of Coburn, Seabrook etc. were a level below, not potential franchise (elite) defensemen, just good or very good defensemen.

Jurgy25

Sep 20, 2005
San Jose
King Henry I said:

you are crazy I would take Phaneuf hands down over Suter. Johnson is very good, but I still would take Dion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->