Lowest possible base salary in signing bonus laden contracts & deferred salary suggestion

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
CBA defines lowest salary for 18-19 (and 17-18) as $650k (See article 11.12, page 49-50)

($700k for 19-20 and 20-21; $750k for 21-22)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
With a new Collective Bargaining Agreement it to be negociated between the NHL and the NHLPA at the end of 2021, let's think a bit outside of the box.

It's not a secret that the sport has became a buisiness and unfortunately, not much more. It's all about profit, much less about passion. This focus on money has made the fans and the players drift apart slowly - with families with low income being unable to pay tickets for one single game, while the average salary of players as of 2018 is more than 3M$ a year.

The NHL has created a canevas for players to live as millionnaire, unaware of their privileges. For them, it's just normal to buy yacht - most of the times, they arent even aware of the social inequality

I'm not asking for them to earn less

They deserve their money. They entertain us. Owners make a butt load of profit. It's fair.

All I'm asking is for them to have a reminder of their status - and have them ponder on the affect of their salary on their destiny. For exemple, let's remember Luongo case which almost regretted signing his contract because he felt it was hurting everyone: himself, his teammate, the team.

My solution is to have every players wear on their ankles a little amount of dollars in a bag, strapped to their ankle. Not much : just enough for them to have a constant reminder they are lucky to get paid to move their feet.

And here's why it get interesting : the number of the pieces (so the total weight) would be proportional to the player salary. For exemple, Ovechkin with a 10M$ salary would be slowed down by a small bag of ten one dollar (which weight about 156 grams) - while someone winning only 2M$ like Alex Stalock would be dragging a mere 30 grams

It is not much - but it might be enough to get some players thinking : what if I sign for less, so I have to pull less weight when I'm on the ice? Is it worth signing for maybe a million less? Who know?

Just food for thoughts

Reactions: TychoFan

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Would the amount of dollars follow the players cap space or the actual money he earns that season?

I'd imagine a player who's getting older, he'd probably prefer to hold little money because he's slower already.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Would the amount of dollars follow the players cap space or the actual money he earns that season?

I'd imagine a player who's getting older, he'd probably prefer to hold little money because he's slower already.
This, I'd left to negociate. I assume if the CBA prevent front-load contract, it would also prevent player to strap down most of their contract money the first few seasons then have it easy the last years - while he might just retire, but I'm afraid I dont know enough about the CBA to tell for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad