Low Profile Shoulder/Elbow Pads

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I've just completed a beginners hockey class and am now an addict! I'm getting ready to start in a low level league and need to complete my equipment list by adding shoulder and elbow pads.

I've tried only a few so far including a friends Easton Stealth S5's (both shoulder and elbow) and they all seem very bulky. Is this what to expect or does anyone have any recommendations on good elbow/shoulder pads that would be appopriate for a low level league?

I'm not necessarily looking for something cheap, but rather something that's low-profile but also functional (i.e. - elbow pads not sliding off) and provides a decent amount of protection for low level leagues.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Low level or not, you have to be protected. Some people even in the lowest of leagues have really good slapshots that will hurt like hell if you get hit by one.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Sherwood 5030 Shoulder pads are pretty much the standard for the guys on this board. I have em, I like em.

I wear the S5 elbows and they work good for me. They are a bit bulky but they stay in place and are protective.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
For shoulders, I would check out the inexpensive pads on ePuck; I have a set of Bauer 300s (like the 4000s there, only without the portion that goes all the way down your spine) and they're not bulky or heavy at all. I took a slapshot in the chest the other night and while I felt it, it didn't hurt very much at all.

For elbow pads, I like the way the Jofas fit; they generally fit pretty close to your arm and stay out of the way. Again, anything in the lower price ranges is likely to be more minimal than the expensive stuff (which is designed for checking leagues, upper-level play, etc).

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I've just completed a beginners hockey class and am now an addict! I'm getting ready to start in a low level league and need to complete my equipment list by adding shoulder and elbow pads.

I've tried only a few so far including a friends Easton Stealth S5's (both shoulder and elbow) and they all seem very bulky. Is this what to expect or does anyone have any recommendations on good elbow/shoulder pads that would be appopriate for a low level league?

I'm not necessarily looking for something cheap, but rather something that's low-profile but also functional (i.e. - elbow pads not sliding off) and provides a decent amount of protection for low level leagues.

If you saw my shoulder and elbow pads you'd think they were bulky, but they really aren't. It's not how they look it's how they feel and move with you.

You could do something like this for example. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-5k-protective-combo-sr.html

or these.. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-spclassicsr.html

I'll never buy protective online again. I did once and when I got them on I couldn't raise my arms high enough to pull my jersey on.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
It seems to me most people like the Easton's as they are the least bulkiest...

But if you wanted no bulk shoulders, look for some Itech SP50s, which has no large shoulder caps and is very very minimal, or try the Sherwood 5030 like someone said above. Or if you really hate shoulders, try a padded shirt that people use for roller hockey...or just get a shoulder pad you like and chop off the cap. I personally like, and wear, the pads technophile mentioned above, the Bauer 300 or 400, same thing just different colors. They are lightweight, but do have large shoulder caps.

Jofa/Rbk elbows are a bit bulky, but very protective. Not the biggest fan of how they fit though. I have the 5K, and they are a tad bit overkill for beer league. If you went with Rbk, a 3K or 4K might be adequate and it'll definitely help with the bulk. But if you want some flexibility go and try to find a 3 piece elbow, Itech has many choices.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
If you saw my shoulder and elbow pads you'd think they were bulky, but they really aren't. It's not how they look it's how they feel and move with you.

You could do something like this for example. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-5k-protective-combo-sr.html

or these.. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-spclassicsr.html

I'll never buy protective online again. I did once and when I got them on I couldn't raise my arms high enough to pull my jersey on.

I have the Sherwood 5030's and the Easton Classics. The 5030's are way better.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Sherwood 5030 Shoulder pads are pretty much the standard for the guys on this board. I have em, I like em.

I wear the S5 elbows and they work good for me. They are a bit bulky but they stay in place and are protective.

I have the exact same setup. These pads would be great for your needs in the low levels through pros!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->