Love for hockey growing in the southeast...

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I think Tampa is an exception considering hockey has found a good following in the area thanks to the Lightning. And as this article proves, it's the same in South Florida thanks to the Panthers. (Though I'm pretty well connected with youth hockey in Tampa too, and it didn't seem very much more promising there. They only have 2 arenas over there to my knowledge. And the youth programs aren't any better than in my area.)
It depends on what you are calling "Tampa area", I suppose. There are 4 ice rinks in the area that I know of (Ellenton, Brandon, Oldsmar & Clearwater-Countryside). Can't speak to how the youth programs are doing, the only info on them I could find was from a few years ago and all said registrations were up.

And I live in Florida now. North of Orlando. And the Orlando/Daytona/Jacksonville areas are definately growing areas. Yet hockey is on the decline in these parts of Florida.
That doesn't surprise me. The only "pro" team around there plays out of Kissimmee, right? I don't think there's been hockey at the arena in Orlando (whatever it's called now) for a few years.

Anyway, according to the USA Hockey site, registrations are up in most places, including Florida. Link to pdf file.

I don't think the key to making new fans is participation in youth sports anyway, but there are some stats for you.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
You are aware that he was just stating that just because it's true one place doesn't make it true everywhere else right? I'm afraid it's you that is embarassing themselves.

I'm afraid you're wrong, especially since the gscarpenter was mostly trying to be a smartass. There's a way to state an opinion and argue your point with making smartass comments, that's all I ask. Debate the issue, not do what he did.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
There is no evidence that this is true, despite it apparently being an article of faith around here.

None whatsoever.

You pull the ol' "no evidence" card, but you saw a study of some sort that you can't locate now? Ok. :sarcasm:

Back to your original objection before everyone got their pants in a twist. I think you were saying the following isn't true:

That's why the growth of youth hockey is sooo terribly important to any type of new pro hockey team (doesn't have to be just NHL).

Now, evidence or not, you'd have to be out of your mind to not atleast slightly agree with this statement. Let's see, a bunch of kids playing hockey in the Miami area couldn't possibly contribute to the well-being of the Panthers franchise at some point, in some way, shape or form?

Kids are like sponges, they absorb whatever environment they're in. If they're involved in hockey as tots then a number of them will grow up with the sport. It's common sense.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
It depends on what you are calling "Tampa area", I suppose. There are 4 ice rinks in the area that I know of (Ellenton, Brandon, Oldsmar & Clearwater-Countryside). Can't speak to how the youth programs are doing, the only info on them I could find was from a few years ago and all said registrations were up.

My apologies. I've only been to the Brandon rink and I had only heard of one other in the area from those that live around Tampa. I knew about Ellenton though, but I was never really sure where Ellenton was exactly.

As for the youth programs, I was speaking more along the lines of the quality of play as it is a good measurement of how they stack up against other programs across the country. In that regard, the Ellenton Eels are really the only good Tampa area program since they're the only ones that ice an AAA level team.

That doesn't surprise me. The only "pro" team around there plays out of Kissimmee, right? I don't think there's been hockey at the arena in Orlando (whatever it's called now) for a few years.

Anyway, according to the USA Hockey site, registrations are up in most places, including Florida. Link to pdf file.

I don't think the key to making new fans is participation in youth sports anyway, but there are some stats for you.

There's also the Jacksonville Barracudas up north. Yet hockey in Jacksonville is probably some of the worst in the state. Although you're right. The loss of the Solar Bears in Orlando hurt hockey alot and is probably the reason why plans to build more rinks were aborted since hockey growth stopped and reversed after that. But it was the same in most of the country. Hockey started it's downward spiral in the early 2000's.

And I'd have to disagree on the importance of youth sports. I know alot of kids that would not be Panther/Lightning/(insert team here) fans if they wouldn't have played youth hockey and got their first taste of the sport at local rinks. Myself included.

I would've probably deserted the sport long ago had I not played in my youth. It's the best way for kids to learn the game and grow an appreciation for it. And the large increase in the past decade or two of hockey playing youth is the reason why hockey has such a knowledgable young fanbase. If not, all hockey fans would probably be 60 year old snowbirds from Original 6 cities. (Not to offend anyone.)

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
They were suggesting recently that ottawa had more youth participation in soccer than hockey. It was hard to believe at first. But there are more i know now than i ever knew before who watch the premiere soccer leagues.

I don't see why it would be hard to believe when you consider the influx of immigration and the astronomical cost (compared to soccer) of playing youth hockey.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Can we agree that exposure to *hockey* is required to breed fans? Either attending games in person, watching on tv, listening on the radio, etc? I think we're pretty much reaching tautology here.

Therefore, youth hockey is exposure to hockey, and it will breed fans.

Now, that doesn't mean it's the only way to breed them. It doesn't mean that without it, you won't have fans or can a successful team. But certainly, it's going to be having some positive effect.

GSC2k2*

Can we agree that exposure to *hockey* is required to breed fans? Either attending games in person, watching on tv, listening on the radio, etc? I think we're pretty much reaching tautology here.

Therefore, youth hockey is exposure to hockey, and it will breed fans.

Now, that doesn't mean it's the only way to breed them. It doesn't mean that without it, you won't have fans or can a successful team. But certainly, it's going to be having some positive effect.
I can probably agree to that to a small extent. The point I was making is that there is a mythology that a key way to make hockey more popular in the US is to develop/invest in youth hockey programs. The effect of youth hockey programs on the development or continuing viability of an NHL hockey market is negligible.

As an aside to some of the other previous comments: youth hockey has been stagnant or even declining in popularity in our very own Canada for many many years, and yet that has not been an impediment to the growth in popularity of the NHL in Canada in the least. There are several reasons, of course (cost being the main one) but the point is that youth hockey does not correlate to the strength of an NHL marketplace. There is no material connection. Having kids play hockey certainly won't hurt, but it is a drop in the bucket relatively speaking.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I stay out of any talk about how popular hockey is getting in florida

lived in Ft Lauderdale for 2 years and some people refuse to admit that the points I make are legit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->