Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Still looking like one of if not the best major FA forward signings of last off-season. Outperforming Ladd, Nielsen, and Okposo, while playing on an inferior team.

Nice attempt at deflecting benning's stupidity lol. Yeah, eriksson is just what this team needs to become a stanley cup contender. Let's keep signing overpaid UFAs in their 30s who are getting paid 6 million to score 0.4 ppg

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Still looking like one of if not the best major FA forward signings of last off-season. Outperforming Ladd, Nielsen, and Okposo, while playing on an inferior team.
More than that - it looks like Eriksson is getting warmed up. I think he'll win the Art Ross trophy by the end of the season. Time to start another Canucks playoff push thread.

Reactions: brokenhole

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, being the best out of that bunch is like being the tallest midget..

Even then is any of this even true? Okposo. Nielsen and Lucic were significantly better over the course of last season. Whe I'm breaking down a contract I analyze the entirety of it, not just a sample size that is convenient. Your logic would suggest that Vrbata was a bad signing because he was untradeable in the second year of his contract, because "what have you done for me lately"

So to conclude, ever in comparison to some of the worst contracts in the league, Eriksson is doing poorly.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And TB is better than ebola and black plague. You still don't want it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Process-wise, I’d have to think the Eriksson deal is the single least-jutifiable thing Benning has done. But as you say, given the state of the team, it ends up being less impactful than draft flubs or poor trades and such.
How many picks/quality picks a year do you think $6m can get you. That's what he's costing the team and it is more than people realise.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

The best signing of all would be to have not signed him or any of that group at all.

But since you brought it up:

Kyle Okposo
$6M x 7
28 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 65 19 26 45

Andrew Ladd
$5.5M x 7
30 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 78 23 8 31

Frans Nielsen
$5.25M x 6
32 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 79 17 24 41

Loui Eriksson
$6M x 6
31 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 65 11 13 24

So to sum up, all 4 were wastes of money BUT...

- Eriksson had the fewest goals
- Eriksson had the fewest points
- Eriksson is the 2nd oldest
- Eriksson is tied for the highest cap hit

Mercifully he wasn’t the longest contract, we can all be thankful for that. Otherwise I don’t see a single reason why he isn’t easily the worst signing of the 4. Age, cap hit, and production are all the worst or nearly the worst of the bunch. Toss in that Ladd at least brings leadership (former Captain) and 2 cup rings while Nielsen at least plays Centre and Okposo at 28 is young enough for his deal to have made some sense at the time.

Sorry but having a slightly higher PPG in part of Year 2 hardly makes up for so many negatives.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The best signing of all would be to have not signed him or any of that group at all.

But since you brought it up:

Kyle Okposo
$6M x 7
28 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 65 19 26 45

Andrew Ladd
$5.5M x 7
30 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 78 23 8 31

Frans Nielsen
$5.25M x 6
32 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 79 17 24 41

Loui Eriksson
$6M x 6
31 years old at signing
1st year of deal: 65 11 13 24

So to sum up, all 4 were wastes of money BUT...

- Eriksson had the fewest goals
- Eriksson had the fewest points
- Eriksson is the 2nd oldest
- Eriksson is tied for the highest cap hit

Mercifully he wasn’t the longest contract, we can all be thankful for that. Otherwise I don’t see a single reason why he isn’t easily the worst signing of the 4. Age, cap hit, and production are all the worst or nearly the worst of the bunch. Toss in that Ladd at least brings leadership (former Captain) and 2 cup rings while Nielsen at least plays Centre and Okposo at 28 is young enough for his deal to have made some sense at the time.

Sorry but having a slightly higher PPG in part of Year 2 hardly makes up for so many negatives.

well said. How anyone can see this as anything other than an albatross is confusing ... only 2 points in his favor are that he looked like a good fit with the sedin's (not so far) and that he is less worse than last year. Massive overpayment.

Clearly an ownership push to get fans in the seats. Nope.

However, next year we could see Pettersson, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Lind and few others added so that the team is young and has a future. Unlikely, but it will give Aquaman his dollars that the asshole craves.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's overpaid compared, no doubt, but I think a lot of factors aren't really brought up. Okposo, Ladd and Nielsen were all on better teams, objectively, last year than Eriksson.

I am not defending the signing, but Okposo on Buffalo was a better fit, a better signing, and he plays with better (or at least more talented) players. Ladd as well. Nielsen out performed Eriksson, but Detroit did finish above us in the standings. Detroit outscored us by 20 points. Chicken and egg I suppose. The Islanders scored 59 more points, and Buffalo by 21.

There is a lot that could work into that, but we're scoring at a higher pace and now our results are Ladd has 15 points in 32 games, Okposo has 14 points in 31 games, Nielsen as 12 in 32 games, and while Eriksson is last, his ppg is higher then all of them with 11 points in 21 games.

It's a terrible contract, but I think it's that bad because our team was so much worse last year (not that it's great or even good now) it looked worse then the other bottom of the barrel signing the summer before last. Those are all brutal contracts, but saying Eriksson's is the worse based on the first year isn't telling the whole story. All 4 players got overpaid, all 4 are under performing compared to their last teams, all 4 GM's involved are slowly destroying their teams.

But what were our alternatives? Did we lost a big fish UFA of our own when we signed Eriksson? Has it impacted our signings this year? Are we in cap hell next year? Has our cap situation been bad enough to cost us a player through trade? Is Eriksson, specifically, keeping a kid out of the line up more then, say, Gagner, Burmistrov, Vanek, Del Zotto, Nilsstrom, Markstrom, Sutter, Gudbranson or Dorsett are/have? It isn't my money, and there aren't too many place I can say, given our options then and now, that would be a better use. Looking at the comparable list provided, I'd rather have Eriksson then Ladd, Okposo or Nielsen to be honest.

Again, a bad contract, I am not defending that, but it's not even Benning's worst signing, nor was it the worst handed out that year in my eyes. Does that justify it? No. Does it excuse it? No. But Loui Eriksson is not the biggest problem with our roster, and is a positive contributor. Especially compared to some players I listed by name...

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sadly, I think Loui was the bpa that could be signed for a big dollar figure and get us to the cap ceiling. With players avoiding Vancouver like the plague for myriad reasons Jim, working under an internal directive to get to the cap, and Loui, with a big family and many hungry mouths to feed found themselves in a position to help each other. It was s case of serendipity, one of life's happy accidents where each was able to help the other.

This is my understanding of the thing anyway.

Reactions: Nomobo

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Sadly, I think Loui was the bpa that could be signed for a big dollar figure and get us to the cap ceiling. With players avoiding Vancouver like the plague for myriad reasons Jim, working under an internal directive to get to the cap, and Loui, with a big family and many hungry mouths to feed found themselves in a position to help each other. It was s case of serendipity, one of life's happy accidents where each was able to help the other.

This is my understanding of the thing anyway.
I think Loui's camp found a moron Gm that was behind trading for him ij the Seguin and cashed out big time. Props to his agent... 6x6 damn.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Time to send Napoleon Dynamite to the press box. He had a nice few games where he put up some points but he has been absolutely invisible for 10+ games.

He doesn't do anything close to a $6 million player:

Score Goals - nope
Hit - nope
Passing - meh
Defensively Responsible - sure
Show Emotion - nope
Breathe Through His Mouth - check

If he continues playing like this we should send this mouth breather to the minors next season when his no movement clause is finished. All this talk about developing our young players and wanting them to play the right way, do all the little things, finish their checks, give effort night in and night out, blah blah blah.........and were paying a guy $6 Million per year to do none of those things and coast his way through the season. What kind of message does that send to the young guys?

Benching Eriksson would show the young players that this organization doesn't put up with poor effort no matter who the player is

Reactions: Cupless44

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think Eriksson should be embarrassed taking 6 mil a year for what he puts out. If we can’t get rid of him then at least the heat should be turned up on this stiff considerably to make his 6 year charity less pleasant in this city.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Worst contract in Canucks history. I said from the moment this contract was signed that it was awful, but was told by many that I’m just a Benning hater and hate everything he does. Lol.

Getting rid of this contract is going to cost the Canucks a high draft pick or a prospect.

Reactions: pomorick

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Worst contract in Canucks history. I said from the moment this contract was signed that it was awful, but was told by many that I’m just a Benning hater and hate everything he does. Lol.

Getting rid of this contract is going to cost the Canucks a high draft pick or a prospect.

It's a great tank contract though. It helps keep us close enough to the ceiling to block out potential future signings that could actually provide real on ice benefit. If you were looking to circumvent a 'no rebuild-win now' directive from the boss while going through the motions of spending to the cap this kind of signing would be exactly the way you would go about it.

And he probably takes good enough care of himself to play it right through to the end. Short of him developing an allergy to his equipment (typically low salaries are a common symptom of this diease) you're going to have a task on your hands dislodging him from the lineup. He is good enough to play, but not good enough to help. He is a friend of team tank.

M2B

Oct 6, 2017
I was trying to see a positive in this, but that is an interesting spin.

I was looking at the cap situation for Canucks and concluded, while this is a hideous contract it doesn't really impact us in the next few years so this signing is a moot point.

If anything, the lack of performance from Loui is giving us better draft positions.

If Canucks are in a position to compete a few years down the road, hopefully Loui is an ok veteran presence, otherwise will need to unload his salary with a pick, and if we are in a position to do this, is a good sign anyway as we've come out of the abyss with some worthy young players to pay a decent raise.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Agreed.

I hated it from the get go also. But no one could have imagined he would be so bad right from the very first year of the 6 year contract.

It is depressing as a Canuck fan to know there is no getting out of this for years to come. I seriously I hope new management burries him in the AHL so he doesn't take a roster spot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

I didnt know there were any Nucks fans other then the Benningbots who liked this deal. Sorry to hear you had to suffer thru that

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Agreed.

I hated it from the get go also. But no one could have imagined he would be so bad right from the very first year of the 6 year contract.

It is depressing as a Canuck fan to know there is no getting out of this for years to come. I seriously I hope new management burries him in the AHL so he doesn't take a roster spot.
Yeah if he doesnt get a career ending injury so we can take him off the books we should really consider taking all benefits away like plane rides and shuttles to games and practices. Maybe stop inviting him to team events and dinners too. Guy is the most frustrating player considering the dollar amount of any Canucks player Ive seen

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah if he doesnt get a career ending injury so we can take him off the books we should really consider taking all benefits away like plane rides and shuttles to games and practices. Maybe stop inviting him to team events and dinners too. Guy is the most frustrating player considering the dollar amount of any Canucks player Ive seen

My cousin works at the UBC hospital that often treats Canucks players for their physio and shit. And he works with the Canucks team doctor, who apparently has overheard Travis Green complaining about the fact that Eriksson's on the team. I believe it was around the time when Eriksson was injured, Green said something like "I'd hoped he'd be out for longer."

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I honestly wonder if any Loui Eriksson merchandise has sold since he signed here?!?!

I sent this into 1040 a few weeks ago & think it's appropriate for this thread:

"When most Canucks fans hear the phrase "robbed by Lui" they think of a great Luongo save, however now that applies to the 15th & 30th of every month #ErikssonContract"

Guy is robbing the franchise of money & the fans of entertainment. I don't think I've disliked a Canuck like this in a very long time.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
My cousin works at the UBC hospital that often treats Canucks players for their physio and ****. And he works with the Canucks team doctor, who apparently has overheard Travis Green complaining about the fact that Eriksson's on the team. I believe it was around the time when Eriksson was injured, Green said something like "I'd hoped he'd be out for longer."

I hate to be cruel but I was glad when Eriksson was injured and also hoped it would be long term. Sad state when a season ending injury would be awesome news.

I wonder if Green will send him to the press box at some point. I wonder if Green feels pressure to play the GM's 36 million dollar signing so he doesn't make his boss look bad.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
I hate to be cruel but I was glad when Eriksson was injured and also hoped it would be long term. Sad state when a season ending injury would be awesome news.

I wonder if Green will send him to the press box at some point. I wonder if Green feels pressure to play the GM's 36 million dollar signing so he doesn't make his boss look bad.

I'm sure that there are a bunch of players on this team that Jim/Trevor "strongly suggested" Green play. MDZ, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Markstrom, etc.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

The team didn't miss a beat when Eriksson was hurt. They lost no scoring, physical presence and his defensive responsibilities were replaced by bottom 6 players stepping up their game. When Horvat and Bae went down and we needed someone to step up and try to replace their scoring depth our $6 million man Eriksson was nowhere to be found.

This team misses Dorsett more than it missed Eriksson when he was hurt.

Y2K nailed it. Worst contract in Canucks history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->