Loudest crowd

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do you remember when the Blackhawks were bad and the United Center was empty or when the Penguins almost moved to KC? It happens to every fanbase but Toronto.

A playoff game in Nationwide Arena is electric and there were some goals scored where I don't even remember hearing the cannon go off. Search youtube for Foligno's OT game winner vs Pittsburgh a couple years ago.

Nationwide Arena gets loud.

Well Chicago is a special case because they basically alienated their whole fan base by not televising half their games. I can't hold their fan base accountable for the worst owner in sports doing terrible things. But I do remember when the Rangers were awful and still had plenty of fans. Mind you, I understand that it's easier to fit an arena in NYC than Columbus. Still if that game that I went to wasn't a road trip with good friends I'd have wanted my money back and not because of the game itself.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Well Chicago is a special case because they basically alienated their whole fan base by not televising half their games. I can't hold their fan base accountable for the worst owner in sports doing terrible things. But I do remember when the Rangers were awful and still had plenty of fans. Mind you, I understand that it's easier to fit an arena in NYC than Columbus. Still if that game that I went to wasn't a road trip with good friends I'd have wanted my money back and not because of the game itself.

CBJ management destroyed their initial fanbase by going 10 years without a playoff appearance. They sold teams as Cup Contenders to the fanbase for years and every time that team fell way short of goals. The fans became apathetic. It is the worst situation for a franchise and has taken years for them to regain any trust. The city loves the team, if they can just put something together for a playoff series win or two and more of the NHL world will be forced to cover games in Nationwide Arena. The arena and surrounding area are continuously rated one of the best in all of sports. I think you would have a very different experience if you made another trip to Columbus.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
CBJ management destroyed their initial fanbase by going 10 years without a playoff appearance. They sold teams as Cup Contenders to the fanbase for years and every time that team fell way short of goals. The fans became apathetic. It is the worst situation for a franchise and has taken years for them to regain any trust. The city loves the team, if they can just put something together for a playoff series win or two and more of the NHL world will be forced to cover games in Nationwide Arena. The arena and surrounding area are continuously rated one of the best in all of sports. I think you would have a very different experience if you made another trip to Columbus.
A few friends and I went to Columbus for a Leafs/Jackets game a few years back and it was an awesome time. Fans at the bar before were nice and friendly and the atmosphere at the game was pretty good considering neither team was that great.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
TV doesn't always capture the crowd noise very well. Also, the building itself, and it's design plays a factor.

If I can change the theme slightly and ask which fanbase will be the most jacked, it has to be Winnipeg. This is probably the best team they have ever had in the NHL, and I'm including Jets 1.0 in here. Last playoff win was in 1995. Its already an excitable fanbase, but when you add their deprivation, it should be amazing.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The answer is Nashville but I'm surprised Boston/TD Garden doesnt get mentioned more.

I hate the bruins with a passion but there's no denying TD garden has one of the best atmospheres in the league. It's def up there in the Playoffs

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg for sure.

Plus we make up a bunch of unique new chants. Nashville just copy people... Pfft

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'd say Nashville. As a huge fan of football from Europe, Bridgestone Arena reminds me of that fierce and fantastic atmosphere the most. Last year I was also impressed with Edmonton and Montreal - every single move was met with a loud reaction by fans, it was really intense.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Winnipeg is going to rocking. Looking forward to watching those games. Especially if they win game 1.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If Columbus gets their first playoff series victory, they'll set a new db record.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Smaller arenas (sq. footage, not necessarily capacity) tend to be the loudest...couple that with a market with fewer other options and I can't imagine the answer isn't Winnipeg.

Nashville is right there with them.
That's stupid.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Lots of smaller arenas in Europe are a lot louder for those exact reasons. Acoustics play a huge role in things being "loud".. not sure if you are aware of this.

But most importantly there is a completely different supporter culture in Europe

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Lots of smaller arenas in Europe are a lot louder for those exact reasons. Acoustics play a huge role in things being "loud".. not sure if you are aware of this.
SC Bern plays in arena that has 17k+ capacity. It is by far more louder crowd than any NHL arena. Djurgården in sweden might have most passionate fans in hockey. European fan culture is totally different from NA. Some german clubs have really loud crowd too. Finnish fans are similar to NA fans.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
But most importantly there is a completely different supporter culture in Europe

Sure, it's a contributing factor, but in order for 2000 fans to sound louder than 20000 fans you need better acoustics as well regardless of how much more "fanatic" Euros are.

We are trying to compare NHL crowds which are mostly the same (not being a Habs fan I think the Canadiens fans are a bit different, not necessarily louder). The only difference for some are the bandwagon fans who have no idea what they are cheering for and continue to yell and scream for passes behind their own net. Other than that generally speaking the majority of fans wait for the "let's make some noise" video on the jumbotron.

Acoustics is a huge part in how loud a crowd is in the NHL for the simple fact that North American sports fans are mostly the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad