Lottery Team Mock Draft v1.0

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Good evening folks, below is my first mock draft of the season. I have just done this for the non-playoff teams for now. I plan on doing further mock drafts as the playoffs get underway and we have a better idea of who is picking where.

Ran tankathon to determine the order of this mock draft.

Full disclosure, if you couldn't tell already, I'm a Habs fan.

1. :coyotes Rasmus Dahlin

Arizona gets lucky and moves up from 3 to 1 and selects the unanimous choice in Dahlin, no difficulty making this pick.

2. :hawks Andrei Svechnikov

Chicago gets very lucky to win the 2nd overall pick and makes what is likely the easiest pick after Dahlin and begins to form a very formidable forward corps again.

3. :habs Filip Zadina

Montreal moves up a spot and selects the very complete Zadina. Yes he isn't a centre or a left defenseman, but Zadina is the BPA here, Montreal makes an easy selection.

4. :sabres Brady Tkachuk

This pick might get a bit of heat given Buffalo's needs on the blueline, but a big bodied winger like Tkachuk could be exactly what the doctor ordered for a Buffalo team that is really in shambles right now. Bonus is that Tkachuk and Eichel are both former BU Terriers who I believe could complement each other very well.

5. :sens Adam Boqvist

Word is Ottawa is seeking a defenseman early on, and they still manage to come away with arguably the 2nd best defenseman in the draft after Dahlin. Boqvist may need another year or two before coming over, but he'll be the real deal when he does.

6. :wings Quinn Hughes

Detroit would have loved to be able to draft Svechnikov and unite the 2 brothers, but alas, they add the superbly gifted Hughes, that fits the bill as the modern age defenseman, who can really control the game from the blueline. Plus, he's right in the Red Wings' backyard at uMichigan.

7. :nucks Ty Smith

Maybe a little bit of a reach here but with plenty of young high powered forwards in the pipeline and on the roster already, Vancouver opts for a very smart puck moving defenseman in Smith, who I believe will surprise a lot of people. Smith often flies under the radar in terms of the top defensemen of the draft class, but trust me, he's legit.

8. :rangers Oliver Wahlstrom

I'm a big fan of Wahlstrom and believe he's easily a top-5 talent, but the run on defensemen drops him down to 8. Wahlstrom has an outstanding shot and a high offensive IQ, and his 0.74 goals per game this year are reminiscent of that. He makes a great pick for the rebuilding Rangers.

9. :edmonton Noah Dobson

Perhaps the most complete defenseman in the draft after Dahlin, Dobson is a big lefty defenseman who can skate well and log big minutes, shutting down other team's best players. He was also a point per game this season, and should go a long way in helping to stabilize Edmonton's porous defense corps.

10. :isles Jesperi Kotkaniemi

The first of 2 early picks the Islanders will make this draft barring a trade. I do believe New York may try and dangle their picks to move up in the draft to be able to select one of the top wingers available, but assuming they stay put, Kotkaniemi could become a great fit as a 2C behind Barzal, if Tavares does indeed leave in free agency. Kotkaniemi is a very complete centre, in the mold of an Aleksander Barkov-lite.

11. :canes Grigori Denisenko

I thought Carolina would sneak in and grab a wild card spot this year, I really did, but here they are, drafting just outside the top-10 for the third year in a row. The Hurricanes have a nice stable of young talent across all positions, so they can afford to swing for the fences here with Denisenko. His talent is off the chart and if he manages to put it all together, we could have anywhere from 5-7 GMs, maybe more thinking 'how'd we let this guy slip past us?'.

12. :isles (via CGY) Evan Bouchard

'Didn't the Islanders just pick?' says Gary Bettman as the Islanders head up to make their second 1st round selection. With Kotkaniemi in the fold already, New York decides to address their blueline by grabbing the OHL's leader in defenseman scoring who is surprisingly still available at 12.

13. :stars Joe Veleno

Another year, another disappointment for a Stars team that really thought they'd get into the playoffs this year. After addressing their blueline early on with Heiskanen last season, Dallas grabs a skilled centreman here who could soon fit in as their 2C behind Seguin. Being the BPA coupled with Dallas not having drafted a centre in the first round since Radek Faksa (2012), Veleno is a solid choice.

14. :flyers (via STL) Joel Farabee

Another team with two 1st round picks, Philadelphia uses their first one to address the wings given that they're deep with young centres and defensemen by selecting the high IQ'd captain of the U.S. U18 team. Farabee is the best available winger in the 2nd tier of wingers after Svechnikov/Zadina/Wahlstrom/Tkachuk at the top of the draft.

15. :panthers Bode Wilde

After an impressive late season run falls just short for the Panthers, they do something that they haven't done since 2014 and that's select a defenseman in the 1st round. Wilde is a big, well-rounded defenseman with few weaknesses. His size and heavy shot could make for an intimidating duo alongside Ekblad in the future.

Let me know what you think of this mock draft, I'd love to hear from you!

Reactions: flyersdad

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I can see us drafting Tkachuk, and I really like him, but god that would still suck.

Seeing potentially elite talent on the blueline missed out on for a forward not named Svechnikov/Zadina would be a massive let down when we have no top pair D in the whole organization.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I think Wahlstrom at 8 is a steal. I wouldnt hesitate to take him at 4

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
As a Flyers fan I’d take Bode Wilde and then grab a winger with our other first.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
As a Flyers fan I’d take Bode Wilde and then grab a winger with our other first.
I would not. Wilde isn’t even the best dman available at 14, nor do the Flyers need D with Provorov, Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanhiem, Hagg and Myers all U25 and near NHL/ NHL dmen all ready. The Flyers need to get some forward depth now in any of Kravtsov, Farabee, Thomas, Bokk, Hayton, Kupari

Reactions: 99664987

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Hextall has been scouting defensemen. I’d bet one of those firsts is a d man with a preference on righty. Have to keep the pipeline stocked and fluid. I used Wilde as the example as he was taken with the next pick in this mock.You could argue their forward depth at the prospect level has surpassed the defensive depth. A lot of good forwards were drafted and had solid plus one and 2 seasons in the last 2 drafts.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
As a Canucks fan, I would much rather take Oliver Wahlstrom and even Noah Dobson over Ty Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad