Lots of potential "gotchas" in this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Read the NHLPA .PDF file carefully. There are lots of potential problems I can see, and I've only read it a bit so far.

1) Reduced number of rounds in the draft, making more players free agents. No opting in anymore.
2) Eliminated compensation draft picks.
3) Increased minimum salaries.
4) "modified" waiver and player assignment options. Could be very significant.
5) Reduced training camp, and pre-season games. Costs money.
6) Potential changes to regular season games and *playoff seeding*.
7) Increased per diem, and more free tickets given to players.
8) Increased pension payments by owners.

And my favourite:

9) Player conduct rules dropped. Players can gamble on NHL games if they want, be late for practice, ignore curfew, and no longer have to treat media or fans with respect or courtesy.

X0ssbar

PecaFan said:
And my favourite:

9) Player conduct rules dropped. Players can gamble on NHL games if they want, be late for practice, ignore curfew, and no longer have to treat media or fans with respect or courtesy.

..and I was just saying in another thread how I though the NHLPA was turning the corner in trying to work with the NHL to imrpove the games image - then I read this :banghead:

I mean, if these guys want to play in a beer league I am sure I can track one down for them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, I should look through it more carefully. I definitely don't like the smaller draft, for starters.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
PecaFan said:
Read the NHLPA .PDF file carefully. There are lots of potential problems I can see, and I've only read it a bit so far.

1) Reduced number of rounds in the draft, making more players free agents. No opting in anymore.

And my favourite:

1) don't like it but it wouldn't change much ... it's not like most late-round picks have much bargaining power
2) don't like it
3) doesn't matter ... the minimum salary could be doubled and it would only affect a couple players
4) whether it makes an impact or not, it won't cost the owners money so big deal ... possibly more movement of fringe players
5) good ... the season starts too late and training camp is too long
6) big deal ... won't affect anything financially
7) very small point in the grand scheme of things
8) depends how much more ... probably not too significant
9) sucks, but it's doubtful it's a major negotiating point. Conduct rules will be there when everything is said and done, bet on it.

To me, the only thing of significance is #2. But even that isn't anything to really write home about. Smaller draft would suck, but I doubt the players will be really willing to fight for it.

Most of these things are small points likely just to avoid giving too much away in the first major proposal. The owners' counter-proposal will likely have all kinds of small points favouring them, and in the end they'll be negotiated out 50-50.

X0ssbar

MS said:
1) don't like it but it wouldn't change much ... it's not like most late-round picks have much bargaining power
2) don't like it
3) doesn't matter ... the minimum salary could be doubled and it would only affect a couple players
4) whether it makes an impact or not, it won't cost the owners money so big deal ... possibly more movement of fringe players
5) good ... the season starts too late and training camp is too long
6) big deal ... won't affect anything financially
7) very small point in the grand scheme of things
8) depends how much more ... probably not too significant
9) sucks, but it's doubtful it's a major negotiating point. Conduct rules will be there when everything is said and done, bet on it.

To me, the only thing of significance is #2. But even that isn't anything to really write home about. Smaller draft would suck, but I doubt the players will be really willing to fight for it.

Most of these things are small points likely just to avoid giving too much away in the first major proposal. The owners' counter-proposal will likely have all kinds of small points favouring them, and in the end they'll be negotiated out 50-50.

Good points. I appreciate rational thinking - as rare as it is sometimes around here ;)

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
PecaFan said:

And my favourite:

I'm sorry but it's really minor...

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I believe #9 was thrown in there as a ploy so when the league drops that and adds in a few of thier own, the players can respond "So, you add in your own and then just flat out remove ours? You have to give to recieve"

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
PecaFan said:
I must have missed that one in the NHLPA proposal, or were you just trying to see if anyone actually read the proposal?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
NewGuy said:
I must have missed that one in the NHLPA proposal, or were you just trying to see if anyone actually read the proposal?

Page 233, No. 42. Though I just noticed I got the number mixed up on first glance, and that one is marked "update" rather than delete.

Some of these are minor, some could be very significant. It all depends on just what's being proposed. Maybe the draft is being cut down to 2 rounds. Maybe the extra pension payments could add up to millions. Maybe if you attempt to send a player to the minors, he can refuse, and become an unrestricted free agent.

We don't know.

Last edited:

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
PecaFan said:
Page 233, No. 42. Though I just noticed I got the number mixed up on first glance, and that one is marked "update" rather than delete.
I wonder if the NHL actually got more in depth info on what the NHLPA intends to update with respect to Exhibit 14 (Form of Standard Club Rules). It could be minor or major changes, it's impossible to tell.

These kinds of things could hold up finalizing a new CBA after the major issues are ironed out. I seem to recall hearing that the NHL got burned on these details in 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad