Los Angeles Agrees To Host 2028 Summer Olympics, Paris Gets 2024

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-2028-olympics-deal-20170731-story.html

Los Angeles has reached an agreement with Olympic leaders on terms that will pave the way for hosting the Summer Games in 2028 instead of 2024, according to a source close to the negotiation.

The deal will bring the Olympics back to Southern California for a third time, after Los Angeles hosted the Games in 1984 and 1932. It also opens the door for Paris to host the Games seven years from now.

Great news. Gives Paris what they want, and Los Angeles time to make these the best games ever.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
LA probably already has the majority of the facilities lined up. Two soccer stadiums, three or four football stadiums, Staples Center, etc.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I would have thought that Calgary's 2026 Winter potential bid would be negatively affected by LA getting it in 2028 but Asia is hosting 2018, 2020, 2022.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I would have thought that Calgary's 2026 Winter potential bid would be negatively affected by LA getting it in 2028 but Asia is hosting 2018, 2020, 2022.

You are confounding Summer and Winter Olympics. I think that is a mistake. They are like night and day. There are only so many cities able or willing to host any Olympics. Chicago was turned down and LA has hosting experience from the 1984 games, but 44 years is a long time between games. Calgary was 1988, IIRC. That makes 38 years for them. You may see Innsbruck or Cortina in the future for the Winter games. They are smaller and easier to manage. The Summer games will always be in some huge city. They need a lot of space and venues.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You are confounding Summer and Winter Olympics. I think that is a mistake. They are like night and day. There are only so many cities able or willing to host any Olympics. Chicago was turned down and LA has hosting experience from the 1984 games, but 44 years is a long time between games. Calgary was 1988, IIRC. That makes 38 years for them. You may see Innsbruck or Cortina in the future for the Winter games. They are smaller and easier to manage. The Summer games will always be in some huge city. They need a lot of space and venues.

Generally speaking - the IOC doesn't like (or didn't like) having the Olympics in the same area for multiple Games. this is part of the reason why Toronto didn't get the games in 96 and 00. then it just got waaay political. but now that more and more countries simply don't want Games it's very obvious the IOC isn't doing these "well it needs to go all over" and will happily have it in the same region (though it's not surprising me it's heading back to North America as North America hasn't had the Games (In the Summer) since 96, and the closest it's been to "decent' time was London 2012. having 3 games in Asia, is gonna suck monkey butt, for this Olympic lover. i'm too old for the time difference now :laugh:

Reactions: Fighter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->