Loose-Leafs #32: Leafs Hockey Is..to..be..What? |DaisyVision #5: The Kids Are Alright

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
Song of the Week: The Kids Are Alright - The Who

Nonahan Watch

Cookie_monster_impatient.gif

apparently they are in Vegas discussing things like the drat and what to do on Carlyle. which means.......

Carlyle Firing Watch

yes_no3.jpg

fire him, fire him not.... fire him.. fire him not.

still applies

Creating "LeafsHockey"

This summer (and the new few summers, if we're going to be honest) we're going to be re-creating the Image & the Identity (the Culture - buzz word, buzz word) here. And then it made me wonder... did the Leafs really have a culture etc etc to begin with?

The Flyers has always been this:

broad_street_bullies.jpg

the Broad Street Bullies, Beating up some Canucks

The Bruins for the most part has always been known as "Big Bad Bruins
And now. Comeback Kids.

bruins-hit-back-to-stun-canadiens-136389889768610402-140504085708.jpg

Bruins came back against Montreal... but are still losing

We know about Detroit (model of patience) Chicago (which is now held to the pinnacle of all things 'drafting properly), Oilers seem to want to be like the 80s high flying teams....

We used to be the Bay Street Bullies (I think that was a Bowen-ism), but I don't know if it ever really took off ... so what were we? Also - what do we want to become?

hCqPOlR.gif

like we want to take pieces and parts of everyone's models to graft it on to us. I think it should be a given that we want to draft well - and let them develop well. It should be a given that we want to sign well and know when to remove pieces that don't fit that system. To me that's not so much "bruins hockey' or 'Detroit model system" etc that should simply be good business practices from the management.

But what do we want the product on the ice to be? What do we want them to do (and simply 'work harder' 'look like they give a crap' doesn't count).

I've even said this - When the Leafs grow up, I want them to be Like ____________. Which is wrong. When the Leafs grow up, I want them to be better Leafs. I want them to exude Leafs Hockey. But what is that? I simply have no idea.

What do we want our prospects to aspire to - what's the first thing we want to think of the moment we see this:

220px-Toronto_Maple_Leafs_Logo_1939_-_1967.svg.png

The thing I remember most (and this came from talking with a friend as well) - is that the Leafs as an organization does best when it's a US vs THEM mentality. the Underdog, the David to the Goliath. Sparta vs. Perisa. And this is true. 93 - no one counted on us - we get to the eastern conference finals. Ottawa swept us in the season series one year - we sweep them in the first round. the last great playoff run - Leafs make it to game 6 of the conference finals after beating up the Islanders and Ottawa on the back of Alyn McCauley and Gary Roberts.

But do we really want to develop a "Leafs vs. the League" mentality? Or do we want to do something else? I am really stumped on this.. What about you?

DaisyVision #5: Trevor Smith, Petter Granberg, Jerry D'Amigo, Josh Levio, Peter Holland, Troy Bodie, Carter Ashton: The Call Ups & The Future

Because of our injury plague season (which has nothing on Detroit), we had a few call-ups this season. And because of the fact that we have 12 roster spots committed going into the 14-15 season - the big huge question is "do we call up some kids?" [even though - not all of them are kids].

So Today's DaisyVision - touching on ALL the Call Ups.

9guFnmO.jpg
MBrZlgG.jpg
IIf8Erl.jpg

Bodie: I remember how everyone was all massive eye roll when Bodie was signed, because he's Lieweke's son in law. But I have to say that in the 47 games that he played - he really impressed me. He never really made me go "Are you freaking serious?" in his play, he hustled, and he fought (badly, but that's okay). And most of his goals were really timely (either the first goal of the game, a goal to tie it up, and I do declare even 1 game winner). He floated around the third/fourth line and he didn't look out of place.

He's a UFA this year - but I really hope we keep in in the organization because he never 'quit' regardless of the minutes that he played. and unlike some people who actually played on the 4th line, he actually made the 4th line look good.

Levio he showed a lot of energy the few games that he was up. I don't know why he couldn't do better playing with the Marlies for another year and really hone his game though - though he could get some minutes on the third line - but it would depend on who is running the third line next year.

Ashton: I would assume 100 percent that he's expected to make the team next year. I feel so bad for the kid. 2 broken noses, a suspension, and then having to deal with Captain Stupid as a coach. (who had the unmitigated gall to say "Well we're moving Carter to the 2nd line with Naz, to give him confidence. We don't understand how he tears up the AHL, then comes up here and doesn't score." [probably, Randy - because you put him on the 4th line and play him 3 minutes]. I really want him to make the team and get that first NHL goal.

Em6R4mg.jpg
OCroSPc.jpg
qRxfzq4.jpg

D'Amigo (Jerry! :heart:): I love him :laugh: so anything i say here is completely biased ;). But in all honesty - again - when he was playing on the third line, he was really impressing me with his speed game. I know that he had some PK time (which isn't fair because our PK unit was 100 percent garbage). I know that people think he's a plug (a word I think a lot of Leafs Fans throw on our prospects way to easily, in my opinion) - but reading up on him, and watching him in the playoffs - he seems to find the next gear when it's playoff time. One would have to believe that this could apply to the NHL level as well (it might not be Bickell-esque - but I think it speaks volumes that he can do that. Go Marlies). He should be part of the third line next season -if not the 4th line.

Granberg: the one game (and few minutes - Seriously, Randy?) that he played this season - I was impressed. Why? The dude broke up a 4 on 1. A FOUR. ON. ONE. And Ottawa didn't score. It was so amazing:

[NHL]602224[/NHL]​

I can't believe how much the Leafs sucked that they gave Ottawa a 4 on 1 (no matter how bad we were before - we never gave up a 4 on 1), and you can say well Ottawa didn't execute the 4 on 1 well - but Granberg totally played that the best he could, and he didn't get scored one. I'm assuming Granberg is going to be the one (of two) defense Rookies that make it up next season. And Hopefully he'll be as excited as he was when he got drafted:

Holland: all of his points came when he played over ten minutes. true fact. Why is this important? Because Randy constantly played him again on the 4th line or with the black holes on this team. (Poor Peter). He also bounced up and down from the Marlies to the Leafs (and suffered from lace bite, which pretty much cut his Leafs career short this season). He was traded for when we were decimated down the centre in November. And he is the one who is going to have a lot of question marks on. He should be on the team. He's developed in the AHL. We lost a 2nd round pick (mostly because he was playing 4 minutes a night, thank you Randy), so we should put him up in the line up and see what we've got.

Vgre9lL.jpg
XBbBLyv.jpg

MacIntyre: As I don't want this to dissolve into something unpleasant - I'm simply going to say, I don't think he'd be a bad backup for the Leafs. he's a UFA, and he'd be a cheap one (and we can even two-way his contract if a better UFA option for a backup comes along).

Smith: He was the Leafs highest scorer in November. (so that tells you how bad we were doing then). And I think he was performing at a good clip for what he was supposed to bring (until he broke his hand - and that ended his Leafs season). he's doing well with the Marlies. He's a UFA as well - and I don't know what to do with him. Two way his contract? let him captain the Marlies again? I dunno.

there we are. (phew) All the call ups (i remember that we had!) :)

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Nice write-up as always, DJ, thank you for the hard work.

I"m particularly keen to see Granberg get a full time job next season, my favourite part of his one game tryout was him pointing to Kessel to tell which player to cover. I wonder if there was a little conversation after the game "Yeah, Petter, Phil doesn't have a man, Bozak's supposed to take care of that".

I also like how his Marlie teammates call Granberg Robocop, although I'd prefer if he was more like Ivan Drago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQvB6OjHOU I hope he says this to both opposing players and his own teammates, when they're not measuring up.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Nice job Daisy! Good post.

D'Amigo is going to make a lot of fans soon enough. I've never understood why people call him a scrub. He does everything on the ice, works his ass off, he's fast, he has nice offense from time to time too. But the guy has a habit of stepping up when it matters.

His first U18 tourney he led the US in scoring.

His first U20 tourney he was second behind only Stepan in scoring (his second tourney wasn't great but the whole team sort of shat the bed that year)

His first and only OHL playoff experience he was 3rd in scoring behind Landeskog and Murphy (only 1 and 2 points behind respectively).

He was second in goals and points in his first AHL playoff experience for the Marlies.

Last season was tied for first on the team for points in the playoffs.

And now, not only is he leading the Marlies in team scoring, but he's tied for 2nd in the league for playoff scoring. And no one else in the top ten has less than 4 games played while he has 3.

The guy is a beauty. I hope he wins a third line spot next season.

Oh, and he grows a wicked playoff beard.

jerrybeard.jpg

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
While I'd love to see Leivo on the Leafs, I don't really see how. And honestly, it's probably doesn't hurt to have him spend another year on the Marlies. It was his first pro season, and while he was impressive, I'd love to see him put up 30 in the AHL and end up top ten in goal scoring in the league. I mean the guy will only be 21 years old, maybe he forces his way onto the roster next year and forces the team to make a spot for him. But I agree with you, no harm keeping him on the Marlies.

I'm excited for Granberg. He's never going to put up the points but I don't think it would be outlandish to say he's going to be a top 4 dman in this league. He's so smart and solid out there. Simmons "anonymous scout" be damned, kid is going to be a beaut. TJ Brennan basically said that he was supposed to mentor the guy but ended up LEARNING from him because he was such a smart player. He'll be 22 by the time the season starts, and he's already basically played pro for four seasons now (4 swedish elite seasons). Plus we have a perfect Marlies replacement for him with Nilsson coming.

Because I can't help myself, I'm stoked for Nilsson to come over to NA. He's probably my favorite prospect in the organization.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
thanks, guys! :) glad you like it per usual :)
I know. Jerry :)heart:) Mountain Man Beard :biglaugh: love it.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Nice write-up.

I think the Leafs were known for a defensive, hard working, team-first approach in their better times with guys like Teeder Kennedy or Dave Keon. Not many offensive stars. Kind of like this years Marlies.

P.S.:
His name is Leivo, not Levio.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
If the Leafs are to be successful they need to be innovators and not followers of other teams identities or blueprints. You look at a team like Detriot where in the 1990’s they went off the board and started to draft more European players for the first time over what other NHL teams were drafting.

The Red Wings were ahead of the game by drafting Europeans for skilled hockey rather than North American head bashing type of players that was the norm for decades prior.

While drafting patiently, and developing skill within the organization, the Red Wings became the innovators and now other teams try to follow their blueprint.

The Maple Leafs will have to think outside the box and find out what the next opportunity will be for the team to become innovators themselves. Does the team look at employing scouts in Japan, and other non-traditional hockey markets to find gems where other teams have not traditionally looked?

If the Maple Leafs are known for one thing after all of these years it is the identity of their financial muscle. This has always been the label this franchise had had for decades.

Now is the time to use that financial muscle to figure out a way for the team to create an identity of finding players anywhere and everywhere that can combine both skill and brawn.

The Maple Leafs need to get their swagger back and show the sports world they are going to be the brand that most other teams in different leagues want to emulate. You look at teams like Manchester United, Real Madrid, New York Yankees, and Dallas Cowboys as some of the premier teams for their respective sports.

The Maple Leafs need to figure out a way to use their money to become innovative and approach the game differently to make it more exciting to watch. Along the way winning will change this franchise to become one of the big teams in sports.

The franchise needs to figure out what they want to create and move forward with a plan. The problem is this team has never had a full blown ten year type plan to get there. Decisions are always made in the short-term for the "now" and not always the future. Once the owners can finally agree on a long-term plan this franchise will keep spinning its wheels.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
In the season ending presser, Carlyle said he would have stuck to his guns when they were losing. It's unlikely that these kids will get a chance.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
In the season ending presser, Carlyle said he would have stuck to his guns when they were losing. It's unlikely that these kids will get a chance.

the irony, eh?
i write about the kids - Randy is given a vote of confidence, and extended two more years.

i'll be watching the marlies a lot next year.

mikebel111*

Probably the first time I have actually read this. I guess I should start reading more! :laugh:
You certainly know how to write Daisy. Nice work!

I wouldnt mind a kid line next season.
Ashton-Holland-Jerry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad