Looks like the Knights are exempt from the Seattle Expansion Draft.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The GMs were informed that any potential future Seattle expansion draft will be conducted under the same conditions as Vegas, and there’s an interesting caveat: The Golden Knights aren’t likely to be part of the Seattle process at all, according to a source.

Foley doesn't get any money from it, so we don't have to lose a guy.

This is good.
NHL GM meetings wrap: Vegas to be spared from a Seattle draft - Sportsnet.ca

This seems like a great opportunity to give teams another option versus being held hostage VGK-style in the expansion. Dump a guy or two on us for a deal. :)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Sounds too good to be true, honestly. Foley would have been paying his share of revenue for 4 years by that point. It's hard to imagine him not wanting his share of $650M.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sounds too good to be true, honestly. Foley would have been paying his share of revenue for 4 years by that point. It's hard to imagine him not wanting his share of $650M.
Sounds like something that was agreed to.

They likely put it in the agreement trying to keep him from getting a piece of the Quebec expansion that was "deferred" and it just wound up applying to Seattle instead.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What I think is interesting is that it opens the door to free agency for VGK. If not for this they would have to consider what they could lose by locking up roster spots that have to be protected. Right now I think they don't really have too much to worry about losing but if they sign some players that would change.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I think I said it before on this subject, but it is quite the mindbending exercise to try to put together a protection list for this team. Even with a playoff appearance looming, I still think there is going to be a fair amount of movement in the offseason. Year to year, it is still kind of tough to see how this team will look. I think the only constant will probably be the 1st line staying together.

This is so rough for the other teams, with two expansion drafts just a couple of years apart, and it is such a benefit to both us and Seattle the way it worked. I don't blame the rest of the fans for being pretty angry at the way this has shaken out. It kind of looks like the NHL didn't plan it out that well, but there were a lot of moving parts. I really think we have Foley to thank for not letting the NHL keep stalling until they found the eventual expansion partner.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think I said it before on this subject, but it is quite the mindbending exercise to try to put together a protection list for this team. Even with a playoff appearance looming, I still think there is going to be a fair amount of movement in the offseason. Year to year, it is still kind of tough to see how this team will look. I think the only constant will probably be the 1st line staying together.

This is so rough for the other teams, with two expansion drafts just a couple of years apart, and it is such a benefit to both us and Seattle the way it worked. I don't blame the rest of the fans for being pretty angry at the way this has shaken out. It kind of looks like the NHL didn't plan it out that well, but there were a lot of moving parts. I really think we have Foley to thank for not letting the NHL keep stalling until they found the eventual expansion partner.
Two expansion teams in 3-4 years is a vast improvement over the last expansion flurry.

Don't think of it as the league not planning well, look at it as the league improving on past performance. :laugh:

Reactions: ChanceVegas

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Its actually quite easy to put a 7-3-1 together at this point, working off the assumption Neal doesn't come back.

Karlsson (assuming he's got a long term deal by then)
Marchy
Perron (assuming he signs)
Tatar
Smith
Tuch
Hyka
Haula will be a UFA at end of 2020, if he extends then maybe Tatar gets left off, but just as easy could sign him after the draft.

Schmidt
Shea
Miller

Subban

Not a whole lot to worry about. The problem is what do they do in the free agent market from this point on. If they had to worry about expansion draft then they might be inclined to not do any big deals and fill spots with depth guys and then draftees. If they were going to make a deal to get EK68 then yeah you worry about losing Miller maybe, but even then he's going to cost a lot more by the time the expansion draft happens.

So in essence getting a pass on expansion means they might sign some players and hold back on some of the prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->