Looks like Calder is up for grabs

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
Impossible. Absent an IIHF agreement Pittsburgh is forbidden to negotiate one thin dime, let alone $200,000. Move aside that you did not link it, the story is on its face bogus.

As I said above, wading through most of the quotes, Malkin seems to be looking for any out he can get. Including the 14 day out. He has a contract if all those fail, and one where he can go to the Pens no matter what next year with no fuss, not even a $200,000 fee being paid. But it is pretty clear from his words and his agents' statements that he is going to exhaust every avenue to try and get out this year if possible. Including, as I said, the 2 week out rule. Another interesting statement was that the IIHF negotiations are not dead and that Malkin still hopes to use that out this year. Again, if the G&M article is to be believed, that contract is a fall back plan if all else fails, not anything more. In the end Malkin may very well give Metallurg Magnitogorsk one more year. But that is hardly a sure thing right now as so many here seem to think.

Will see, but I am sure that all the legislative possibilities have already been ruled out and the only way for him to play in the NHL next year is either Pittsburgh pays Metallurg 2M as a transfer fee, or Malkin runs away a la Zherdev.

Traktor*

Or he could put up 8-13-21 playing on the fourth line.

I have a feeling Brule will win the Calder this year if he gets top 6 icetime (which is likely) and if Malkin plays in Russia.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton wouldnt be going threw all this trouble to bring over a 4th liner. He will be playing 2nd/3rd line role with alot of powerplay minutes. Like I said if Edmonton thought Miks was a 4th liner they would go with JFJ and there would be no need to being him over and they woulnt be wasted time on him.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Rumor has it that Bobby Ryan actually will be playing in Anahiem this year since he has nothing to prove in the OHL and isnt old enough for the AHL yet. If he gets a good amount of minutes, he could surprise some people.

No way is Brian Burke gonna rush Bobby Ryan into his lineup this year to let him play on the 3rd or 4th line!!!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

With Malkin seemingly out of the running...

Who are the new top rookies for this upcoming season?

I think Sulli, Hudler, Brulé and Wolski all have a chance to grab the calder.... except Sulli, the rest of the pack are gonna play with a solid group of forwards, wich means they'll get alot more points. For example....

- Hudler will play top 6 forward minutes with the departure of Steve Y and Shanahan

- Brulé will center either Nash, Modin, Federov or Zherdev (if he signs)

- Wolski put-up awesome numbers last year in Brampton and played verry well on his call-up in Clorado, in only 9 games. IMO he was the reason why Tanguay was expendable in that Léopold trade. He'll be playing along side Sakic this year... :eek:

- Sulli also put-up crazy numbers last season.....but in the AHL. He's a player to WATCH if he plays on a line with Frolov and Cammi.

To end this LONG debate, my personnal pick would be....... Patrick O'Sullivan;)

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Kostitsyn with Koivu and Higgins = Calder

There is no way in :madfire: that Kostitsyn walks away with the calder :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:.... Robbie Schremp has more chance then Kostitsyn IMO, and that never going to happen. He's problably going to win ROY for the Habs, but that's it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Brule='s The New Parise. AKA, better than everyone else's prospects. Hell I could see about a dozen or more rookies that could win the Calder over Brule. Stats aren't everything, but this kid's stats aren't really worth a ****.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
47p in 19 playoff games.. but the guy is obviously overrated.

Yep, they act like he'll be in the freaking ECHL or something. IMO he should be getting the same kind of clout that fellow CHL dominators like Wolski and Radulov have been getting.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Brule='s The New Parise. AKA, better than everyone else's prospects. Hell I could see about a dozen or more rookies that could win the Calder over Brule. Stats aren't everything, but this kid's stats aren't really worth a ****.

Huh? 27 points in 38 games? 30 points in 18 playoff games? That ****? Especially considering that the WHL is a more NHL like league than the OHL?

Edit. That should be 38 points in 27 games.

Last edited:

Reload

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm going to say its going to be Wolski, just because I don't believe Brule will stay healthy the entire year. Although realistically any one of Wolski/Brule/O'Sullivan/Schremp/Radulov could win it.

Safir*

On paper Wolski has the best chances to win the Calder, because he'll mostly be the #1 LW by the end of the season. Playing alongside Sakic for the most part give him the chance to rack up many many points.

Other possiblities:

- What about Cam Barker? He has the chance to become a top Dman in Chicago and the master of their power play. With guys like Ruutu and Havlat up front and Barker on the point you have a potentially dangerous unit.

- Loui Eriksson? This guy had a good season in Iowa and might stay with the Stars for season. AFAIK the #2 line RW spot is free at the moment, enter Eriksson.

Canuck Flop

Aug 9, 2006
I've got to think the contenders are:

O'Sullivan's 93 pts in Houston, 2nd line LW lock in LA
Brule feeding Nash for 55 G this year
Toivonen kicking Thomas to the bench where he belongs (Boston in playoffs??)

HM: Wolski playing a good full year in COL, but missing Blake and Tanguay will hurt him

Seems strange that O'Sullivan is more often ignored compared to the others (even against Kopitar). He gets my vote.

Traktor*

Because stats are everything in the CHL? Look who Brule played with - Mitch Bartley and Spencet Machacek. Two players who may never be professionals. Brule SINGLE HANDEDLY dominated the WHL like we haven't seen in recent memory.

'':shakehead ''

'':shakehead ''

Let me guess, being from van, you watched alot of giant games? I can understand your love for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad