Looks like Calder is up for grabs

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Candidates from Phoenix:
G LeNeveu
RW Lisin - may end up in a top 6 role on a line with Mike Comrie and Ladislav Nagy (the six million dollar line)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Did you miss the eighty or ninety multi-page threads on at least ten boards here at HF or what?

Agent: Malkin wants to play in NHL now
Posted: 8 hours ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Evgeni Malkin still wants to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as possible, his agent said Monday, even though Malkin's Russian team announced the star forward has renegotiated his contract and plans to stay out of the NHL for another season

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5852720

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Toivonen - He will Surprise Next Year.. His improved team will definately contribute to his success however.

Brule - He will get a top 6 role for sure, and I expect him to make a push as one of the teams top forwards Very Very Quickly meaning he will be playing with talented forwards such as Nik Zherdev, and Rick Nash who are coming into their own.

O'Sullivan - Will Also easily find himself in the top 6, The departure of Demitra means something...

Wolski - With Tangauy gone, things really open up for the 4 time OHL ROTM, and OHL Player of the Year Winner. He will make a solid push at the Calder.

Kopitar - Behind O'Sullivan At the moment, however... Things could easily turn his way, as Kopitar is a very explosive player that could literally "explode" next season.

End Of Thread.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Toivonen is a good bet if Malkin doesn't end up playing. Radulov and Brule are the other top contenders in my view.

They might as well award Malkin the 2007-2008 Calder trophy at the 2007 awards banquet if he doesn't play this year. His rookie year as a 22 year old will be something else.

infected13

Aug 3, 2005
Rumor has it that Bobby Ryan actually will be playing in Anahiem this year since he has nothing to prove in the OHL and isnt old enough for the AHL yet. If he gets a good amount of minutes, he could surprise some people.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Did you miss the eighty or ninety multi-page threads on at least ten boards here at HF or what?

Agent: Malkin wants to play in NHL now
Posted: 8 hours ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Evgeni Malkin still wants to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as possible, his agent said Monday, even though Malkin's Russian team announced the star forward has renegotiated his contract and plans to stay out of the NHL for another season

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5852720

You apparently missed the important part of that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You apparently missed the important part of that.

:confused:

What did I miss? Malkin being out of the NHL next year is not the slam dunk that this thread implies. The stories are very conflicted and Malkin himself, and his agents, specifically are saying that things that conflict with what Malkin's russian team is saying.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

What did I miss? Malkin being out of the NHL next year is not the slam dunk that this thread implies. The stories are very conflicted and Malkin himself, and his agents, specifically are saying that things that conflict with what Malkin's russian team is saying.

If it is true as rumored that Malkin has signed another contract, then why is there any speculation left about what his status will be for next season? If his RSL club was willing to void his initial deal for one more year with him, then they're going to get one more year with him. It's pretty cut and dry.

If they tore up his contract and he signed another one, then which means more his actions or his words? Malkin is saying the right things to not alienate his fans in Pittsburgh, but his actions are indicative of a person more torn about coming over to the NHL next year.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH

I know Pittsburgh is heartbroken, but denial is the last way to cope with this.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If it is true as rumored that Malkin has signed another contract, then why is there any speculation left about what his status will be for next season? If his RSL club was willing to void his initial deal for one more year with him, then they're going to get one more year with him. It's pretty cut and dry.

If they tore up his contract and he signed another one, then which means more his actions or his words? Malkin is saying the right things to not alienate his fans in Pittsburgh, but his actions are indicative of a person more torn about coming over to the NHL next year.

Malkin's agents have said clearly and unequivocably that they are doing everything in their power to get him to Pittsburgh this year.

Malkin saga takes another turn
Agent: Ignore reports of new deal in Russia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06220/711897-61.stm

and

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_465151.html

The Globe and Mail has said that the deal was a mere backup if Malkin could not get out so that he had somewhere to play this year, no more:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060807.malkin08/BNStory/Sports/Hockey/

I personally have no clue how this will play out. But to say that it is a slam dunk that he is in Russia next year is ignoring all evidence of the opposite possibilty and would be as wrong as someone saying that he is definately coming to the NHL next year. No one knows, the reports pretty much conflict, and various parties are spinning the issue. I have no clue how anyone can take a definitive position on this right now.

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
Malkin's agents have said clearly and unequivocably that they are doing everything in their power to get him to Pittsburgh this year.

Malkin saga takes another turn
Agent: Ignore reports of new deal in Russia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06220/711897-61.stm

and

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_465151.html

The Globe and Mail has said that the deal was a mere backup if Malkin could not get out so that he had somewhere to play this year, no more:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060807.malkin08/BNStory/Sports/Hockey/

I personally have no clue how this will play out. But to say that it is a slam dunk that he is in Russia next year is ignoring all evidence of the opposite possibilty and would be as wrong as someone saying that he is definately coming to the NHL next year. No one knows, the reports pretty much conflict, and various parties are spinning the issue. I have no clue how anyone can take a definitive position on this right now.

I just read in the Latvian press that Malkin's club wants at least 2M for his transfer while Pittsburgh is willing to pay 200k. So, Malkin wants to play in the NHL, his club - doesn't.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I just read in the Latvian press that Malkin's club wants at least 2M for his transfer while Pittsburgh is willing to pay 200k. So, Malkin wants to play in the NHL, his club - doesn't.

Impossible. Absent an IIHF agreement Pittsburgh is forbidden to negotiate one thin dime, let alone $200,000. Move aside that you did not link it, the story is on its face bogus.

As I said above, wading through most of the quotes, Malkin seems to be looking for any out he can get. Including the 14 day out. He has a contract if all those fail, and one where he can go to the Pens no matter what next year with no fuss, not even a $200,000 fee being paid. But it is pretty clear from his words and his agents' statements that he is going to exhaust every avenue to try and get out this year if possible. Including, as I said, the 2 week out rule. Another interesting statement was that the IIHF negotiations are not dead and that Malkin still hopes to use that out this year. Again, if the G&M article is to be believed, that contract is a fall back plan if all else fails, not anything more. In the end Malkin may very well give Metallurg Magnitogorsk one more year. But that is hardly a sure thing right now as so many here seem to think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->