looking for:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Looking for...

... an explantion as to how the Blackhawks continue to catch lightning in a bottle and succeed despite a roster that could be considered average at best. Are you into voodoo, Dry? :dunno:

Seriously, I don't know you've been doing it, but you are to be commended for achieving the kind of success you have had so far this seaosn. Kudos!

Damn you. ;)

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
thank you thank you thank you...I've been waiting for that.

Today Ferris Beuller was spotted organizing a parade in downtown Chicago, the easter bunny was scene, Santa Claus was confirmed to be a Nazi and one more pig was caught flying over the moon.

Ok seriously, the last time we ran a season my team was one of the hottest the last half of the....check it out cause i'm sure its still up there somewhere. And a little touch of my voodoo and voila. Besides I did make a deep run in the playoffs as well. Oh and my team is pretty much the same since then so I think the success would continue.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Dryden said:
thank you thank you thank you...I've been waiting for that.

You're welcome. Damn you.

Dryden said:
Ok seriously, the last time we ran a season my team was one of the hottest the last half of the....check it out cause i'm sure its still up there somewhere. And a little touch of my voodoo and voila. Besides I did make a deep run in the playoffs as well. Oh and my team is pretty much the same since then so I think the success would continue.

All of which still does not answer the fundamental question of what about your team's composition makes it able to produce these results. The new sim quite frankly has me baffled. Without question you've got a hot couple of lines, offensively, but that does not account for your team's microscopic goals against. For every 10 goals your guys score, they should be giving up 15.

Voodoo, I say. :help:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Speaking of questions about another team's success, can I take $10 million out of my bank balance and hire away the Jackets special teams coach? Both units are #1 in the league, and I can't quite piece together how that is happening based on the sum of their parts...especially given the team's struggles at even strength with similar lines and pairings!

Of course, I'm sure you're equally baffled as well Douglas!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Speaking of questions about another team's success, can I take $10 million out of my bank balance and hire away the Jackets special teams coach? Both units are #1 in the league, and I can't quite piece together how that is happening based on the sum of their parts...especially given the team's struggles at even strength with similar lines and pairings!

Of course, I'm sure you're equally baffled as well Douglas!

I am. although actually, I think I may be able to answer that, a bit. Not that it will help you (or anyone else, including me). My Jackets have been among the more disciplined teams in the league, so we don't have to kill off too many penalties. I'm sure with more under our belts our average will start to decline. But I'm also sure having 4 top defensive defencemen (Carney, Norstrom, Boughner and Boucher) in front of Brodeur doesn't hurt. :)

Same thing, oddly, with PP: I don't have real agitators, so I don't draw as many penalties as I might like. I happen to have been able to convert on a good share of the few I have had, but I think that's just a statistical anomaly: overall I'm sure that as my PP chances increase, my success percentage will decrease. All that said, I am a good passing team (or should be), and I imagine that might help more on the PP, when you are controlling a puck in the zone and running set plays, than it does on transition when you're trying to force turnovers.

What baffles me is not so much the success I've had on special teams (I certainly never expected to be #1 in both categories, but I figured top 10 shoudl have been pretty safe bet), but rather the LACK of success I've had at even strength, especially my top unit. Apparently they are a little confused, and so every third shot they take is on their own net. I can't explain it any other way. :shakehead

I would be interested, however, to look back at the lineups of the teams I've played, and seen where their scoring has come from. I'm wondering if there has been a hole in my positional coverage based on where most teams' scorers play... if so, I've got some things to try to see if I can address it.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
kasper11 said:
*Devils GM quietly slips away from conversations about teams who are playing above themselves

See all the attention get thrown my way....what about him...why doesn't anyone bug Rich "Don't call me Juan" Epstein.

oh Doug your going to win tonight. No voodoo left.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Ohio Jones said:
I think that's just a statistical anomaly: overall I'm sure that as my PP chances increase, my success percentage will decrease.

Kinda like my early success, I tihnk Colorado was no.1 after gd5, but since the first period of the 2nd game my guys have not scored on the PP and the PP% is now down at 3,5.. not that I have much material to make changes to it, but it can't get much worse.. :dunno:

The whole start to the season is still a mystery to me.. Going 2-1-1 scoring 11 of my 31 goals before finally realizing that they weren't that good players and starting to play to their level.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Dryden said:
See all the attention get thrown my way....what about him...why doesn't anyone bug Rich "Don't call me Juan" Epstein.

oh Doug your going to win tonight. No voodoo left.

I'll quote you on that.

Oh, wait - I just did. Quote you, that is. Mission accomplished, I suppose.

For the record, if Rich were in the West, I'd be reaming him a new one as we speak, but as it is I have plenty enough to worry about in my own bloody division, without worrying about teams that aren't even in my conference.

You know, things like how the league's supposed best goaltender, behind one of the best defences in the league, can have such a piss-poor gaa and save%. (Note my endorsements if you want a chuckle... :cry: ).

Oh, and for the record, you still pulled out a tie, despite being heavily outshot tonight. Damn you. :madfire:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad