Looking for some roller gear advice

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hello all. After 3-4 years of being away from ice and roller hockey i've started playing roller with friends and looking to get into a men's league this summer, so i appologize ahead of time for not being real keen on the latest gear available.

My first need is a new skate. My mission proto si's are too small. I was looking for any suggestions for excellent comfortable and lightweight skates for under about 200 dollars. I don't know much about sizing, but i can tell you that my CCM 952's (ice skates) are by far the most comfortable and best-fitting skates that i have worn. Perhaps a guru can use that information to let me know what might fit best. There aren't many good shops around me to try on a good variety.

Along with skates i was interested in what are decent wheels for indoor and outdoor, as i would like to get a seperate set for each. I think i use labeda shooters for outdoor currently, and they seem to work well.

Second is a stick. I know exactly what i want but was having trouble finding it. It's an easton z-carbon 110 pro stiff stick it also says "finnish shaft" :dunno: . It's about 3 years old so im sure they've changed the models by now, but im not sure what blade style it is. The blade is of the longer variety, squared toe, mid curve, and a slightly open face. If anyone knows what blade type that may be, or where to find this stick that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, im real excited to get back up and start playing again.

-Kyle

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Well, I'll start with skates since thats where you started. First I would check out the Mission HE 5500 or 3500 skates. The 5500 will give you better comfort and will last longer, but its also $70 more than the 3500. I wouldnt worry about what fit you before, as companies tend to change the fit of their boot from year to year. I would try on different skates in your price range and go with what fits best.
As for wheels, the 5500 comes with some of the best indoor wheels out there, and the wheels on the 3500 are decent. As far as outdoor wheels go, you cant go wrong with the shooters.
It sound like your stick is a Shanny curve. My store carried these sticks when they were current, about 2 years ago. I will look today if I have any left. If not, Id reccomend a cheap shaft and a sturdy wood blade. ABS wood blades work well for outdoor because they dont get destroyed as easily, however, they arent as good for indoor, due to a lack of feel. Still, if you are going to use the same stick for indoor and outdoor, it would be worthwhile looking into an ABS blade.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
HeHateMeFrisbee said:
Well, I'll start with skates since thats where you started. First I would check out the Mission HE 5500 or 3500 skates. The 5500 will give you better comfort and will last longer, but its also $70 more than the 3500. I wouldnt worry about what fit you before, as companies tend to change the fit of their boot from year to year. I would try on different skates in your price range and go with what fits best.
As for wheels, the 5500 comes with some of the best indoor wheels out there, and the wheels on the 3500 are decent. As far as outdoor wheels go, you cant go wrong with the shooters.
It sound like your stick is a Shanny curve. My store carried these sticks when they were current, about 2 years ago. I will look today if I have any left. If not, Id reccomend a cheap shaft and a sturdy wood blade. ABS wood blades work well for outdoor because they dont get destroyed as easily, however, they arent as good for indoor, due to a lack of feel. Still, if you are going to use the same stick for indoor and outdoor, it would be worthwhile looking into an ABS blade.

thanks a lot! i'll certainly check out the mission's you mentioned next time im in the shop... do you know anything about tours? i heard from some friends that they were really nice

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
kylez19 said:
thanks a lot! i'll certainly check out the mission's you mentioned next time im in the shop... do you know anything about tours? i heard from some friends that they were really nice
Personally, I really dont like Tour skates. Part of it is that they changed their chassis to a straight wheel chassis, compared to a hi-lo system that Mission uses. The only reason they changed it was that Mission copyrighted the system. Tour will tell you that the straight wheel system is better, but it doesnt make any technical sense. If you have 4 big wheels (80mm in this case) your turning radius isnt as efficient as a chassis with 2 80mm wheels in the back, and 2 72mm wheels in the front. What i mean is, with the Tour chassis, you cant make as sharp turns, whereas with the Mission, you can.

Now in remembering all that about the chassis, Tour boots have never fit me well, and I think their quality sucks. We used to sell some Tour stuff in our shop, but it always came back either broken, or defective pretty quickley.

However, they may have corrected these problems, and if their boot fits you the best, then you should seriously consider a Tour skate. But if you are split between the Mission and Tour, go with the Mission.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
HeHateMeFrisbee said:
Personally, I really dont like Tour skates. Part of it is that they changed their chassis to a straight wheel chassis, compared to a hi-lo system that Mission uses. The only reason they changed it was that Mission copyrighted the system. Tour will tell you that the straight wheel system is better, but it doesnt make any technical sense. If you have 4 big wheels (80mm in this case) your turning radius isnt as efficient as a chassis with 2 80mm wheels in the back, and 2 72mm wheels in the front. What i mean is, with the Tour chassis, you cant make as sharp turns, whereas with the Mission, you can.

Now in remembering all that about the chassis, Tour boots have never fit me well, and I think their quality sucks. We used to sell some Tour stuff in our shop, but it always came back either broken, or defective pretty quickley.

However, they may have corrected these problems, and if their boot fits you the best, then you should seriously consider a Tour skate. But if you are split between the Mission and Tour, go with the Mission.

thanks for the input. do you have any suggestions on a cheaper shaft type stick? ive always preferred one piece sticks, but id like to see what could be had for a decent price. plus the replacement of blades could save me money for outdoor play.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Yea, you could get a RBK 4K shaft, those go for about $40. The Bauer Vapor V is about the same cost, and the Easton Typhoon shaft sells for about $55. The typhoon is the best out of those shafts, it would probably be perfect for your needs.

A good website on equipment is www.modsquadhockey.com You can find reviews on equipment, and plus get answers from equipment nerds like me on pretty much any question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->