Looking for insight into Danish youth hockey clubs

WMH

Jan 27, 2014
USA
Moving to Denmark with two boys looking to continue playing ice hockey (2000 and 2004 birth years). What are the better clubs? Do kids play for their local club, or do kids travel to the stronger clubs?

member 498sixnine

Maybe there's some travel between the clubs in the Copenhagen area, here in Jutland I would say most play for their local club. Where in Denmark are you going to live?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yeah in the Copenhagen area there's some shuffling around due to the short distance. In the rest of the country you go with the local club I guess.

There's a list(Not sure it's complete but it's like one or two teams off) of clubs here: http://www.nysport.dk/sportsklubber.aspx?pageid=167&mid=228&id=448

If you need help to find what's near you, just write in here. Then I'm sure the guys in here from around the country will help you find the closest club... just in case you're a bit rusty in your Danish geography ;) :)

oksun

Jan 2, 2013
Moving to Denmark with two boys looking to continue playing ice hockey (2000 and 2004 birth years). What are the better clubs? Do kids play for their local club, or do kids travel to the stronger clubs?

I can help you as well, I live in Copenhagen

WMH

Jan 27, 2014
USA
We'll be living near Østerbro, so it seems like several clubs would be possible. Looks like there are clubs in Gentofte, Rødovre, KSF, Rungsted, Amager . . . just not sure which ones are open to outside kids, etc, or have decent teams for the ages of our kids (2004 & 2000). Both boys have played at a decent level of travel hockey for their age group in the US. Also, in the US there are tryouts for teams in early Spring - is it the same in DK? We will first arrive in early August 2014.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Rødovre probably have the best youth program in Denmark. They have had youth teams do very well in tournaments in Sweden, even against big Swedish clubs. All the clubs should be open to more kids. The more membership fees they can get the better. ;) August should be a good time to arrive. I think the hockey season starts in October or there abouts, after the rinks have been mostly empty, if not dry, over the summer. So try-outs, or the nearest equivalent should happen at that time. I have not been involved in youth hockey here, so I can't really speak for the exact details, but I'm sure someone else can provide that.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
To add to the sales speak for Rodovre(RSIK):

A) It's a hockey club in a hockey first town with a former player as the mayor. And you feel that. Lately they've added a second rink so to have reasonable practice hours for everybody.

B) There's some connections between youth division and the local paper and potential sponsors. And as mentioned they go to Sweden once in a while to get the experience of some fiercer competition.

C) And then your boys will get to follow in the skating strides of Jannik Hansen, Mikkel Bødker and Lars Eller ;)

And now to make it easy: There's a "how to start" page on their website(Link below). At the bottom is the phone number and mail of the guy to contact. He'll put you in connection with the right coaches etc I'd imagine.

http://rsik.dk/p/bliv-medlem

If you go with KSF - that should be stationed real near you - I'd imagine you'd wanna get in touch with either the chairman Jim Begholdt or youth division director Nanna Meyland Nicolaisen. Link with phone numbers and mail below.

http://www.ksf.dk/klub-information/personer/

Hope you and your boys settle in well - both at the rink and Copenhagen :)

WMH

Jan 27, 2014
USA
Thanks for the feedback!

In the US, each age group might have 4-5 levels: recreational; travel B, BB and A; Tier AA and AAA (being the best). How is it in Denmark? Are the kids as segregated as over here?

What I'm searching for is if tryouts are an issue, or if all the kids are pretty much split over 1 or 2 teams.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
We'll be living near Østerbro, so it seems like several clubs would be possible. Looks like there are clubs in Gentofte, Rødovre, KSF, Rungsted, Amager . . . just not sure which ones are open to outside kids, etc, or have decent teams for the ages of our kids (2004 & 2000). Both boys have played at a decent level of travel hockey for their age group in the US. Also, in the US there are tryouts for teams in early Spring - is it the same in DK? We will first arrive in early August 2014.

The start-up (and try outs) are normally in August in Denmark. This year there has been a pre-season tournament end of August for the bigger kids (age 13 to 16) and normal tournament activity will start early September.

Thanks for the feedback!

In the US, each age group might have 4-5 levels: recreational; travel B, BB and A; Tier AA and AAA (being the best). How is it in Denmark? Are the kids as segregated as over here?

What I'm searching for is if tryouts are an issue, or if all the kids are pretty much split over 1 or 2 teams.

I don't believe the try-outs will be an issue for your kids. Even though we are good at developing high end talents here in Denmark, the depth of talent on each team is not impressive. We only have two tiers in Denmark, and if your kids are talented (as it seems they are) they will have no problem breaking the roster of the best team in any club here.

According to the birth year of your kids, the oldest will play U15 hockey and the youngest U11 hockey. But there is a tradition in Denmark that the most talented players, will also be offered to play on the team one age group above their natural, if they like and got the body to do so.

It would be a good idea to get in contact with the club (or clubs) you are interested in, in advance (you can even do it now). Virtually all Danes speak/read English, so write them a mail, telling them about your situation, and soon you can have all settled.

For how long are you going to stay in Denmark?

An interesting thread/discussion (though a little old) about the Rødovre youth development programme can be found here:
http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?4818-Rødovre-s-youth-programme

WMH

Jan 27, 2014
USA
Thanks all for your insights and input - much appreciated.

I have no clue which level (or club) my kids will play at in Denmark, but it will be fun in any case!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad