Looking Back At The Last 5 Seasons

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Obviously the past 5-years have held their share of ups and downs and this season's tale has yet to be fully written, but the JT Miller trade talk has me thinking, of some what ifs? What if we do the things that a rebuilding team is supposed to do and stockpile picks rather than getting Miller and Hronek? What if we blew the team up instead and were rebuilding with the assets obtained from selling off Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Demko? How many what ifs lead to outcomes better than the highs of this season?

What are your musings on the last five years?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What JT Miller trade talk?

The months upon months of will they or won't they leading up to his extension and carrying on until the trade protection kicking in. Debates over Horvat v. Miller. Schneider lundqvist Chytill 2nd round picks. Other teams fans scoffing now quietly eating giant sized crow.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously the past 5-years have held their share of ups and downs and this season's tale has yet to be fully written, but the JT Miller trade talk has me thinking, of some what ifs? What if we do the things that a rebuilding team is supposed to do and stockpile picks rather than getting Miller and Hronek? What if we blew the team up instead and were rebuilding with the assets obtained from selling off Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Demko? How many what ifs lead to outcomes better than the highs of this season?

'Ups' and 'downs'?.....other than this season, I'm having trouble remembering very many 'ups'.

All I remember is seven lost years under Benning, with the capper being the OEL-Garland deal, easily one of the worst, if not 'the' worst trade in franchise history.

There were a sprinkling of individual performances--the evolution of Hughes and Pettersson to become top NHL players; and the breakthrough by Miller. I don't really call the COVID interrupted year an 'up' because the Canucks were poised to miss the playoffs again, before the season was shut down. And the 'bubble playoffs' were a total anomaly.

The collective five-year nightmare finally came to an and when the owner did what he should done a decade ago---hire an experienced hockey executive and then butt out.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The last five years come on the heals of THREE straight Calder finalists plus the winning of the blockbuster Motte Vanek trade that was followed by former GM Benning who then set the team up for a historic bubble playoff run that most fans were asked to forgive Saint Benning for, for ever doubting him, however after that the furthering of empty cupboards, schedule, Gillis, hindsight, Covid, refs, high altitude in Colorado, foresight, and Abbotsford floods led to two pretty tough years forcing the misunderstood but highly successful GM to part ways with the Canucks that has brought us to the current management group that its successes are based on the former GMs work while its shortcomings were pretty easily avoidable and would have been avoided if Saint Benning was still directing the team towards that eventual playoff run.

Not sure theres much more to say

Reactions: vancityluongo

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
So so many from the last 5 years, but I would like to talk 2 drafts in particular that would have greatly accelerated the rebuild. I mean the 2016 and 17 ones. I actually like our 17 draft, like a lot, it’s too bad all the tickets were duds.

2016, don’t f***ing make the McCann trade. Don’t, what are you, nuts? Draft Tkachuk and The Cat, next year we should have traded for another 1st. I’ve never seen a team go thru a rebuild so passively. We could have snagged one of Yamamoto, Frost, or Thomas (who was my original motivation to do this), even if it is Yamamoto, he’s still valuable enough to flip for an NHL contributor which is primarily what good organizations focus on.

That should be your primary focus in a rebuild - how do I change all these lottery tickets into useful players? And you get creative in how you can do that.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Great topic.
I started a thread in /leafs about the unexpected ascent of the Canucks … it was deleted.

Would love to hear more about it.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I thought the team demonstrated real growth from 2018-20..There was gradual increase in the standings, you could see the development of the young core group..All culminating in the 2020 playoffs, which filled most Canuck fans with a ton of optimism.

Directly after that, everything just derailed..Every season started in the same pattern..Hideous starts, with a solid comeback effort (two with Green, one with Boudreau)..and the team was capped out.. poorly constructed., ..not a playoff team.

Massive credit here to Rutherford..for having the patience, and sticking with the core group..(when there was a lot of noise to blow it up)..

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The months upon months of will they or won't they leading up to his extension and carrying on until the trade protection kicking in. Debates over Horvat v. Miller. Schneider lundqvist Chytill 2nd round picks. Other teams fans scoffing now quietly eating giant sized crow.
..you were fairly eager to blast Miller into the sun...?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If JR and Allvin was at the realm back in 2016 and decided to start from zero rebuild then we would have had a couple playoffs runs already by now

If JB was in charge of a full rebuild then we would had became Buffalo of the west

There are multiple ways to reach success

lawrence

May 19, 2012
2021 felt like yesterday. honestly, Boeser was either 2 inches to the right more one half a second quicker and we would have had the 1-0 lead on Vegas in game 7. Have we beaten them I think we would have beaten Dallas also, but lose out to Tampa in the finals.

also a turning point.

after 2021, we had to choose to keep 2 out of Markstrom Toffoli and Tanev. We had the cap room to do it. But we can only keep 2.

instead, we traded a 1st rounder for Ekkman Larson and Garland.

so we go from, Toffoli Tanev and Guenther

to Garland and Ekmon Larson actually now its just to Connor Garland, not a bad player, but I rather would have kept Tanev Toffoli and Guenther. I will never know how Jim Benning lasted as long as he did.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I think you should not weight single seasons success too heavily.

The goal should not be a cup window the length of a single season.

Last edited:

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I thought the team demonstrated real growth from 2018-20..There was gradual increase in the standings, you could see the development of the young core group..All culminating in the 2020 playoffs, which filled most Canuck fans with a ton of optimism.

Directly after that, everything just derailed..Every season started in the same pattern..Hideous starts, with a solid comeback effort (two with Green, one with Boudreau)..and the team was capped out.. poorly constructed., ..not a playoff team.

Massive credit here to Rutherford..for having the patience, and sticking with the core group..(when there was a lot of noise to blow it up)..
I can think of is a team that was severely mismanaged, completely fumbling numerous opportunities in every conceivable aspect. It's disheartening and incredibly frustrating to picture the potential the team could have reached during that period.

Thankfully, that's behind us now, but I can't help but imagine the powerhouse team we could be icing today.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
when we were staring down a full tear down rebuild, i wanted us to go in on the 5% chance that our foundation of petey, hughes, and demko was so good it could be a contender even given the massive holes in the lineup and the crippling cap commitments that would prevent us from filling out the roster.

all credit to allvin and JR for the mostly great work they’ve done but i think mostly it’s turned out that those core pieces (plus jtm) are that good and the 5% chance came to pass.

i said, many many times, can you believe that for the only time ever we have a franchise c, franchise d, and franchise goalie and it’s going to be wasted carrying all the benning bloat? but here we are.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Is Demko the biggest difference for the Canucks success this year ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad