looking at each teams top goaltending prospects..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ben Bishop and Joe Fallon should be on the list no doubt. I don't know what others think of Bishop but this kid must just play great when I watch him (which isn't much this year) maybe Maine fans can chime in if I'm overrating him, cause I don't hear much about him but I've been impressed with him.

As for the Habs, it's clearly one of their strong points. At one in the season they had the NHL leader in save % in Huet, the AHL save % leader in Halak and the ECHL save % leader in Desjardins. Both Halak and Desjardins made the All Rookie teams in the AHL and ECHL, then they add Carey Price who has been impressive in Hamilton so far. In addition they have Michael Leighton, who at one point was 2nd in the AHL in gaa and save % behind Halak. They also have a good goalie in Sweden in Chris Heino-Lindberg but it's unclear if they will retain his rights this summer or not. They also have Yann Danis although I'm sure he's got to be thinking it's time to move to another organization since he was passed over by Halak this year and now he's been passed again by Price who has come in and gotten 2 of the 3 starts to end the season and is the starter in the playoffs.

2ForRoughing*

feel free to continue to disrespect Marek Schwarz, folks. Just wait. He's going to be an excellent goalie once he gets used to the N.American game. He's not the flavor of the day here at HFBoards though, but that's alright. He's got a ton of talent and will show it in the long run. Try teaching reflexes like that...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
i guess ur right. I just felt the comparisons just weren't fair when the habs could possibly have two of the top-5 best goalie prospects and most other teams don't have one.

I really dont see Halak anywhere near the top 5. Hes a good kid, but hes a small, small small guy as well. He will be good, but I dont really see him as a first goalie to be honest.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I really dont see Halak anywhere near the top 5. Hes a good kid, but hes a small, small small guy as well. He will be good, but I dont really see him as a first goalie to be honest.

well, he has done something that most of the other goalie prospects hasnt. he has proved he can play in the NHL, and play good, and be consistent many games in a row. if he had played in the last game against toronto im sure the habs would have made the playoffs. and IMO it doesnt matter if he is small. he covers it up with excellent postioning and reflexes.

Faktisti*

would someone like to tell me which team has picked hovinen and härmä?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
well, he has done something that most of the other goalie prospects hasnt. he has proved he can play in the NHL, and play good, and be consistent many games in a row. if he had played in the last game against toronto im sure the habs would have made the playoffs. and IMO it doesnt matter if he is small. he covers it up with excellent postioning and reflexes.

Genetics do matters for goaltenders. Look at the top 3 this year.

Brodeur
Luongo
Giguere

Halak played well in Montreal, but I dont think he won the games with his goaltending(i.e the team played very well in front of him) and he was often very weak on shots from the blueline.(He didnt carry the team the way Huet and Theodore(before he lost it) recently did imo)

When Price(for example) wakes up in the morning he covers 25% more space. I think the "wall" for Halak will be to play like a good backup.(2a) Thats what he did down the stretch in Montreal. Aebisher wasnt to hard to beat, playing like a ECHL guy.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
hovinen: Minnesota, 2006, 5th, 132nd

härmä: not drafted.

Hovinen has not shown no progress expected to become a NHL player. He´ll be battling to get icetime in the Finnish league with this kind of a performance in the future.

hlundqvist30*

In my opinion, Halak WILL NOT amount to anything at all. Yes, he has had his streaks, but most goalies do (besides Kevin Weekes. He sucks). From what I have seen, he won't be anything special.

I also think Lenevue is WAY overrated.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Honestly, Munce? He has no business being on that list.

Ramo/Koshechkin/Helenius.

Ramo is already backing up in Tampa, Koshechkin will be bothered non stop about coming to NA to play in Norfolk/Johnstown next season, and Helenius is a few years out.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Ramo is already backing up in Tampa, Koshechkin will be bothered non stop about coming to NA to play in Norfolk/Johnstown next season, and Helenius is a few years out.

How do you think Rämö has performed? I would like to hear something about him from someone who really has seen him alive.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Isn't LeNeveu supposed to take over for the Coyotes sometime soon?

he seemed to fall out of favour a bit in the eyes of gretzky and management this year and alot of coyotes fans will tell you he has actually regressed this past season. couple that with a very good rookie season by josh tordjman and leneveu has a battle on his hands to become the coyotes starter in the future. with the new management coming in though, this may be his best and perhaps last chance to make it happen, as i think they are just about ready to give up on him for whatever reason.

i also believe p.o. pelletier is still in the coyotes plans, but he will take some time to groom.

PanthersFanatic12

Aug 2, 2005
Anybody here can tell me who they think is better of the florida goalie prospects . Plante or shantz . Any info from people who actually watched any of these guys , would be appreciated.

Bulls guy

Nov 5, 2006
BelleVegas
Calgary also has Lalande which they have signed and is playing unbeleiveable in the playoffs right now with an 10-2 record.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
How do you think Rämö has performed? I would like to hear something about him from someone who really has seen him alive.

Ramo played very well in Springfield for a very mediocre team. He was really just about the only bright spot on that team this season. He won best goalie in the AHL skills competition. He's played well in both games of the games he was in at the NHL level, but they were both against the Sens, and he was brought in during an already out of hand game his second time.

I'll just throw it out now: if Ramo can continue to improve during the offseason, and he gets enough of a chance to start, he could very well be a Calder candidate come the end of next season.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ramo played very well in Springfield for a very mediocre team. He was really just about the only bright spot on that team this season. He won best goalie in the AHL skills competition. He's played well in both games of the games he was in at the NHL level, but they were both against the Sens, and he was brought in during an already out of hand game his second time.

I'll just throw it out now: if Ramo can continue to improve during the offseason, and he gets enough of a chance to start, he could very well be a Calder candidate come the end of next season.

yeah i think so to. he definitely has a good chanse of being the starter in tampa next season.

btw. i have been at a couple of goalie camps with ramo's goalie coach back in finland. oh man does he know what he is talking about. and he is only like 23-24 years old.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Canes goalie prospect with the best shot at being a #1 in the NHL may very well be Swiss goalie Daniel Manzato rather then Peters or Nastiuk.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Most probably, Schneider will spend the next two seasons in the AHL and in three years will make his way as a backup for the Canucks to Luongo.

If he's traded, it will be then when his stock will be at its highest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad