Looking at a couple used laptop options... any input? Or new ones I should consider instead? Thanks!

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hey computer buffs! I'm looking at the following devices, and wondering if any of you have input re: best bang for the buck, known issues with particular devices, etc. I'm basically after something that still runs well, is good for typing on, and has a decent reputation for lasting long, having decent battery life, etc. Something that performs well by today's standards and can handle things like Visio etc on dual displays no problem, and can even run some older games passably.

Strong preference if it can also function as a 2-in-1, but that's not absolutely critical.
Bonus if it has a dedicated GPU, but that's not critical either.

Price limit is around $1000, but I'm flexible on price depending on the computer I'm getting for my money.

Also, if there are Black Friday deals on new items that I should be considering again, please let me know!

Anyway, here are the used options I'm considering:

1. Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4 1480 Signature Edition 14" -- $600

i7-7500 @ 2.7-2.9 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R5 M430
256 GB SSD

2. Asus Vivobook Flip 14" -- $600

i7 ... ? (waiting for more info from seller
12 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
onboard graphics
other: 1 year old, includes Asus stylus

3. Razerblade Pro 17 -- $850

i7 7700HQ
16 GB RAM
HD630 and NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
256 GB SSD + 2 TB HD

4. Lenovo Flex 14 -- $500

AMD Ryzen 5 4500U
16 GB RAM
Radeon Graphics
disc drive details TBD

5. Del XPS 7390 -- $700

i7 10710
16 GB RAM
onboard graphics
512 GB SSD

Thanks so much for the input!!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wouldn't buy #1 because the RAM and disk space are rather meager. I wouldn't buy the ones with integrated graphics only if you're planning to do some gaming. Even if you'd only play 4-year-old games, games that you'll want to play in 4 years may be today's games, so a GPU that can give at least acceptable performance in today's games may be something that you'll eventually be glad to have.

With that in mind, I'd probably be most interested in #3. #4 would still be a consideration, though, because it's the cheapest and the AMD Radeon integrated graphics are at least better than Intel's (though still worse than a dedicated GPU), as long as the drive capacity isn't 256GB.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
You get what you pay for with these selections. First off make sure they're not tablets as the life of it will be spent quickly.

Also, and this is important, make sure Windows 11 comes with it. MS is really pushing Win 10 out the door.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I wouldn't buy a laptop you cant see in person, screen specs don't mean anything, you gotta see it in person. As for GPU, the problem with getting a laptop with a GPU, they usually cheap out on the screens hard unless you're getting a high end. Some gaming laptop displays are only 6 bit color, it can get pretty bad. I'm really sensitive to lower quality displays though so you might be different.

I would check out what they have at your Costco with a warranty.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I bought my last two laptops online and couldn't be happier. My last laptop was an Asus 15" K501UW with an i7, 960m GTX, 8 GB ram, 128 SSD and 1 TB HDD. I bought it on Newegg back in 2016 for like $700. I was able to play all the new games on it and did a lot of heavy work with it as well (I'm a programmer by trade).

Just recently I bought another Asus off of Amazon but this one is a little more expensive (Around $1300). Once again I'm very happy with the purchase. As for my last my last laptop, it's still alive and kicking well, so I installed Ubuntu on it and still continue to use it regularly.

Purchasing online is not as bad as ppl make it out to be, just make sure you check out ppl reviews on YouTube before you make the purchase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad