Looking ahead....how does the playoff round work again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I know each Pool winner receives a bye into the semi-final, but do the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from each pool cross over and play each other?....or do they stay in their own pool and then cross over for the semi's? I'm thinking the final 4 teams will be Canada, USA, Russia and the Czech's. I don't think there is any way the USA cannot finish first in their pool and Finland has to win their last two games to finish ahead of Canada for first in that pool.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
2nd team from Pool A plays 3rd team from Pool B, and the winner plays Canada

2nd team from Pool B plays 3rd team from Pool A, and the winner play whoever is first in Pool A

I think that's how it works

Jazz

MOGiLNY said:

2nd team from Pool B plays 3rd team from Pool A, and the winner play whoever is first in Pool A

Correct.

Additionally, the 2 QF losers will meet to determine 5th and 6th place. The Relegation round will take the 2 bottom teams from each pool, and they will carry forward points from from the round robin (ie, A4 game vs A5 will carry forward), and they will complete a round-robin with B4 and B5 to determine 7th to 10th place.

9th and 10th will relegate to Div I next year - to be replaced by Norway and Latvia next year in Vancouver.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:

So we will see a Russia/Canada semi??.....USA/Czech semi?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
HabLover said:
but, even if the USA loses to the Czech's they would still finish 1st.

If the US loses to the Czech's and US/Russia/Czech don't lose to Swiss and Belarus, then all 3 teams will be tied for the lead at 3-1-0. My guess would be that it would come down to goal differential or something similar to decide the seedings. I haven't been able to come up with anything solid on that yet though.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
sabresfan65 said:
If the US loses to the Czech's and US/Russia/Czech don't lose to Swiss and Belarus, then all 3 teams will be tied for the lead at 3-1-0. My guess would be that it would come down to goal differential or something similar to decide the seedings. I haven't been able to come up with anything solid on that yet though.

In that situation, it would come down to goal differential in games involving the three tied teams (Rus-USA, Cze-Rus and USA-Cze).

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
it definitely comes down to goal differential, but are you sure it's only goal differential between the three teams?

if that's the case, then as it stands now,

Russia +2
US +1
Czechs -3

Ofcourse if the Czechs beat the US, then their differential drops to even at best, and the Czechs' differential decreases.

So, to finish first, the Czechs need to beat the US by 6 goals which is probably not going to happen.

To finish first, Russians have to beat Switzerland and cross their fingers the Czechs win

To finish first, the US need to beat or tie the Czechs

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not 100% sure, but it was the way they broke ties in past IIHF tournaments and I don't remember seeing anything about a rule change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad