London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Im for the fire sale. Maybe round 1 or 2 but dont see this club going far. Id sell pu( is he tradeable being first rounder) jones miletic thomas.. miletic thomas jones wont be back next yr get what we can for picks. Next year its gonna be a struggle i think anyways, so sell and get what ya can.. im sure.teams making a run would love these guys in their line up. This and next yr will be tough but hopefully selling these players and whats in the cupboard will help sooner then later.

Sale ???

Sale what, we will be lucky to give these players away !

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sale ???

Sale what, we will be lucky to give these players away !

If you mean less than normal deadline value because sellers flooded the market, yeah; but London could really put the screws to Erie, Windsor, & possibly OS by putting Jones, Pu, Formenton, Raaymakers... on the market.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
If you mean less than normal deadline value because sellers flooded the market, yeah; but London could really put the screws to Erie, Windsor, & possibly OS by putting Jones, Pu, Formenton, Raaymakers... on the market.

I didn't mean much, I just wrote it for the reaction , I guess it doesn't mean much to others as well.

We're having a heck of a time finishing plays around the net, or that we're always playing against better then average goaltenders.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I think we're fine. If Mete comes back we should be alright.

If by alright you mean decent, sure. Not even close to a potential championship team tho. Probably 2 top 6 forwards and 2 good d-men at the minimum required. And that would leave the team crippled for years if they paid the going prices .

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Plenty of you have expressed that should Mete be returned, everything changes for the better, and at that point the team should be looking to add. Sorry, but I disagree. One player doesn't make a team....never has, and never will. I'm willing to concede that Mete adds a top d-man, and that he does help to control the offensive breakout, which helps greatly. However, his inability to control the bigger players physically isn't an asset, and that's his achilles heel. So, although he adds , he also has a shortcoming that all of his skill and skating ability just can't correct. He isn't the second coming of Bobby Orr. If anything, his return will cloud the issue of whether to sell or buy, but probably isn't enough to take this team over the top this season.
I think we're fine. If Mete comes back we should be alright.

Reactions: shanewalsh

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Plenty of you have expressed that should Mete be returned, everything changes for the better, and at that point the team should be looking to add. Sorry, but I disagree. One player doesn't make a team....never has, and never will. I'm willing to concede that Mete adds a top d-man, and that he does help to control the offensive breakout, which helps greatly. However, his inability to control the bigger players physically isn't an asset, and that's his achilles heel. So, although he adds , he also has a shortcoming that all of his skill and skating ability just can't correct. He isn't the second coming of Bobby Orr. If anything, his return will cloud the issue of whether to sell or buy, but probably isn't enough to take this team over the top this season.

But he Would bump Jacob Golden.
That Is a positive in itself.
What is missing is a Dominate force on the backend.
Logan Stanley,Middleton to name a few.
No more undersized skilly types.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Ummmm we deserve to lose that pass at the blue line with an empty net wwasith 15 seconds left such a terrible play

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Ummmm we deserve to lose that pass at the blue line with an empty net wwasith 15 seconds left such a terrible play

More like such a terrible call. Formenton has his foot straddling the blue line when Thomas was already 2 feet into the zone!

Still not the best decision by Thomas making that move. Along with that terrible giveaway earlier in the game.

Oh well, a win is a win. Great play by Pu on the GWG forcing the turnover.
This ones for Fan since 65 :thumbu:

Reactions: TheCoach

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I can’t wait to see if Formenton was offside or not on the replay game , I don’t think he was .

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
4-3 overtime win over Pete’s . Will take it but I don’t think it should have gone to overtime !

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This team is so meh. I don’t see Mete being enough to bother going all in. I think burning assets would be a mistake.
Trade Jones, Pu and Mete if he’s returned to Missy for the rights to Hughes and some other stuff. Might as well trade for Quinn Hughes rights as well. :naughty:

Depends on the next seven games in 11 days IMO. If they do quite well, then I can see them sticking with what they've got. Otherwise, it would not be terrible to start looking towards later years.

That being said, I do not think it'll all be picks. I can see them trading away picks or certain young players in order to acquire guys who could stick around for 2 or 3 years (i.e. like Sudbury did with Nizhinikov). It could be easily be a quick turnaround if London can pick up a couple of really good imports or convince some of their good NCAA prospects to come in, so really only the OA's and good 98's (plus Thomas/Bouchard if you really believe they will not come back next year) who would need to be sold.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I've been a part of the "buy if Mete returns" camp, but sometimes I look at SSM's 16-game winning streak and the lack of bottom production from the bottom 6 and think...why bother?

I don't envy Rob Simpson right now. Options:

1) Buy when there are teams that are much better built
2) Sell in an over-saturated market, when the team has essentially no chance of being competitive next year (even year after next will be tough with Bouchard's depature)
3) Stand pat...and become a mediocre team for the foreseeable future

Bottom line is we need to draft better to avoid situations like this. Inability to hit on our forward picks in the first 2 round of 2016 draft is really hurting us...and I'm not a big fan of our 2017 1st.

Reactions: TheCoach

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I've been a part of the "buy if Mete returns" camp, but sometimes I look at SSM's 16-game winning streak and the lack of bottom production from the bottom 6 and think...why bother?

2) Sell in an over-saturated market, when the team has essentially no chance of being competitive next year (even year after next will be tough with Bouchard's depature)

Bottom line is we need to draft better to avoid situations like this. Inability to hit on our forward picks in the first 2 round of 2016 draft is really hurting us...and I'm not a big fan of our 2017 1st.
I really think we either get some really good young talent or we trade the two first rounders that you are talking about. I just think we either need Foudy and Rowe to step it up or we gotta get rid of them as they would still have value (Being 1st Rounders and still pretty young) What has happened to our scouting staff? Why dont we take the risks anymore with the high end Americans :(

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014

the part about selling I like is if Mete gets sent backwe have the best defenseman available if we sell

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
I really think we either get some really good young talent or we trade the two first rounders that you are talking about. I just think we either need Foudy and Rowe to step it up or we gotta get rid of them as they would still have value (Being 1st Rounders and still pretty young) What has happened to our scouting staff? Why dont we take the risks anymore with the high end Americans :(
Mark Hunter, Basil McRae and Lindsay Hofford moved on

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights 4-3 Win over Petes OT
Dale is pushing for Wins to ensure the Knights make the Play-Offs.
The OHL has a lot of parity this season.
On any given night a 'higher points team' can be beaten and be 'stoned' by a hot Goalie.
The Knights have met a few goalies this season who've performed very well.
Even though the bottom 6 do not have the point totals that you'd like to
see on a good team, one can see that players like Billy Moskal and Liam Foudy are improving and looking like solid OHL players every game.
The Knights could easily slip into the #6th or 7th spot in the Western Conference.
If the following scenario manifests where a guy like Brady Tkachuk decides to play in London, Simpson get an import or two, trades for a 'stay at home' Left handed D-Man and the hope that Victor Mete is returned to London from the Montreal Canadiens.
Do you go for it?
Absolutely!!
That would mean a significant shift of 4-5 players who would change the fortunes of the Knights as legitimate contenders in the O.
Those are a lot of 'ifs' but a few 'tweaks' could be very positive for this team.
Other teams know that the 'top end talent' of the Knights is as good any team in the league.
Otherwise the Knights end up 'in the middle of the ocean' deciding which direction they need to go............try to win now and hope for the best against deeper teams or build for the future and trade 2-3 of their star players for good young players and draft picks.
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Tyler Rollo: Comparing the Petes and the Knights
“Both our teams are in the same boat, trying to get going,” Rollo said. “I know they (the Petes) have hit a rough patch from talking to some of my friends and even looking at the video. I feel like we’re are faster. Our top lines are more skilled. I’ve got used to the speed (over here) and I really just hope for the best.”
Cole Tymkin:
He gave the thumbs up to Billy Moskal’s efforts in his first OHL fisticuffs a
few minutes earlier.
“He held his own, for sure,” the rugged winger said.
Tymkin said his recovery was limited to “sitting around and watching the games,” before joining the club’s younger players for skating sessions. He has seen some growth in the rookies and sophomores.
“They’re really coming along. even off the ice, it’s meshing together well,” he said. “We’re brothers right now, but by the end of the year (after more time),
we’ll really be together.”

Rollo rolls with new mates

Last edited:

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Mark Hunter, Basil McRae and Lindsay Hofford moved on
along with rule changes to even the playing field, other teams now take the "risky" American kids that the Knights used to land; so if they don't hit in the Euro draft, it puts us in a tough spot

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

They do still draft Amercans. Look no furhter back than a couple our more promising D. Last years 4th rd pick and some guy whose brother dropped by for a year n played with DVO n Marner.
Drafting in general? Maybe Hofford n Hunter make the difference? Im sure they still have input but....
Maybe 2016 was just a bad draft?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad