London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Montreal Canadiens:
Victor Mete at the World Juniors

by Omar White
November is a solid month in hockey. Not only are we getting deep enough in the NHL to start making end of season predictions, but junior players are going to be a focus soon enough. TSN‘s Bob McKenzie is a go-to source for information surrounding the World Junior Hockey Tournament in December and January, and he’s already gotten started for this years coverage. Whether the Montreal Canadiens will be involved again this time around is another story.
When listing eligible players in the NHL, McKenzie mentioned
Victor Mete from the Montreal Canadiens. The rookie won’t be turning 20 until June, so he could very well be a part of the six who man Canada’s blueline if the organization allows him to go. Should they though?
Mete’s climb to the Habs’ roster was one of the shocks of training camp. Seeing Claude Julien truly giving Mete a chance has shown to an out already. Mete has played in all of the team’s so far this season putting together only two points. The rookie has spent the majority of the season playing with Shea Weber on the top pair who has been an impactful mentor for him.
However, Mete’s time on ice has taken a hit as of late. Instead of playing his usual 15+ minutes, Julien has relegated the rookie to 10 minutes in these last two games. Looking back to Sunday’s game even, Mete was playing on the bottom pairing with Joseph Morrow.
If this continues and the Montreal Canadiens decide to monitor Mete’s minutes, allowing him to play for Team Canada may not be a bad idea. Of course keeping in mind that he needs to be given an invitation to participate.
It’ll be interesting to see what the Habs decide to do here. There’s a long tradition of players going off to the World Juniors and coming back with new experiences. Mete spending time with team Canada will do nothing but good, even if they end up not winning.
Montreal Canadiens: Victor Mete at the World Juniors

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Morris Dalla Costa LFP:
The Kitchener Rangers defeated the London Knights 4-2 Tuesday in Ontario Hockey League play in front of 6,507 at the Kitchener Auditorium. It was their first win against the Knights since Dec. 29, 2015; the Rangers first in 15 attempts against their rivals.
It was not an easy win but then breaking a 14-game losing streak to one team rarely is. There was the constant expectation that the roof was going to fall in as it has so many times when the Rangers thought they finally had the Knights' number. The Rangers didn’t help themselves with bad penalties. It took one of Rangers’ Luke Richardson’s better performances in net to prevent the Knights from locking up win No. 15.
Only when the Rangers went up 4-2 with less than three minutes to go did they manage to breathe a little.
But in the end the Rangers took advantage of some sloppy defensive work by the Knights, a really bad penalty by Adrian Carbonara and a former Knight to break the streak.
The Knights had plenty of chances especially in the second but they weren’t particularly sharp around the net. When they did get chances, Richardson was equal to them.
Evan Bouchard:
“I just don’t think we buried our opportunities,” said Knights’ defenceman Evan Bouchard. “We had equal chances, chances we just didn’t bury ours.”
Bouchard said the Knights didn’t really pay attention to the streak but the chippiness of the game showed him how important breaking the streak was to the Rangers.
“We have a rivalry here and like you said, they had the streak and I really think they wanted to end it,” Bouchard said.
The Knights play Guelph in London on Thursday. Bouchard said this game will be forgotten and it will be on to the next game.
“We just focus on the positives and we had a lot of positives (Tuesday,)” he said. “We had a couple of defensive breakdowns that they capitalized on. We just have to be ready for (Thursday.)”
Knights mastery snapped

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Shots in Knights-Rangers Game: virtually the same
London 33
Kitchener 32
However London's 'quality chances' were much higher.
Looking at the chart London had a 2:1 Ratio in quality chances.
London's shots were mainly clustered within a 15' area.
Here's the chart:
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
Also:
London dominated on Face Offs:
London won 41 FO's
Kitchener won 27 FO's
Cliff Pu and Robert Thomas were 22 of 32 FO's = 69% Wins on the FO's
Cliff and Alex Formenton had 6 Shots each.
Thomas, Sam Miletic and Evan Bouchard had 4 Shots each.
Overall London out played Kitchener but did not covert on their quality chances.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Watched the game. Good enjoyable game by two of the better teams in the league, each with several impact players. Be nice someday to maybe have a team like that up here. Really impressed with Raymakers (sp). Knights powerplay movement was outstanding, I can see why many of you don't want to sell. Only weakness is it seemed easy for the Rangers to get to the net. Cheers.

Reactions: LDN

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Team played hard.
Too many missed chances around the net,especially in the 2nd period..
Defence was missing on 3 goals.
If they could have buried a few,they would have no doubt won.
Even the Rangers Play by Play guy was giving the Knights props and their speed and puck possesion.
They are a good team.

Reactions: Snippit

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Its just a matter of time before he comes back
Well quite possibly but as someone who's watched every game he's played, he looked quite good on the wing, creating a couple of scoring chances and making an excellent pass. I honestly think Habs aren't deep enough on D at this time for sure to send him back. Should be a great addition if he plays for Team Canada and he would have a heck of an impact for the Knights should he come back. He is one rare player to be able to stick at this level at his age, especially on D. How many seasons did he play for the Knights? Only two?

Reactions: aresknights

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well quite possibly but as someone who's watched every game he's played, he looked quite good on the wing, creating a couple of scoring chances and making an excellent pass. I honestly think Habs aren't deep enough on D at this time for sure to send him back. Should be a great addition if he plays for Team Canada and he would have a heck of an impact for the Knights should he come back. He is one rare player to be able to stick at this level at his age, especially on D. How many seasons did he play for the Knights? Only two?

Mete played 3 years with London

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If Mete comes back, I can see this turning into a go-for-it year.

Market is too over-flooded to get good value for our assets.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Can they not send Mete to Brampton if they send him down at all but judging from the comments from Montreal he going nowhere

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I can not remember London draft pick cupboard but will going for it this year hurt the team down the road like it can hurt Windsor.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If Mete comes back, I can see this turning into a go-for-it year.

Market is too over-flooded to get good value for our assets.

Going for it if Mete returns and I doubt he does,would be a terrible mistake.
Even with Mete London needs 2D and 3 forwards to challenge,plus with the OHL sending only 1 rep to the Mem Cup this year,even more challenging.Toss in the fact,that Robert Thomas probably makes the NHL next year, assuming he continues to improve,the future is very bleak.
London with the early pro graduation of Kaukkonen,Mete and Juolevi are last year's Sarnia, who lost 3 players early and finished 8th.In fact and though I think it won't happen,if the playoffs started today London would miss the playoffs based on today's standings and win percentage.
If anyone thinks this year is bad, wait till next, doesn't project well currently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I can not remember London draft pick cupboard but will going for it this year hurt the team down the road like it can hurt Windsor.

London's draft board actually is quite good at this moving forward,if anything they should add to it not delete from it at the trade deadline.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Going for it if Mete returns and I doubt he does,would be a terrible mistake.
Even with Mete London needs 2D and 3 forwards to challenge,plus with the OHL sending only 1 rep to the Mem Cup this year,even more challenging.Toss in the fact,that Robert Thomas probably makes the NHL next year, assuming he continues to improve,the future is very bleak.
London with the early pro graduation of Kaukkonen,Mete and Juolevi are last year's Sarnia, who lost 3 players early and finished 8th.In fact and though I think it won't happen,if the playoffs started today London would miss the playoffs based on today's standings and win percentage.
If anyone thinks this year is bad, wait till next, doesn't project well currently.

We'll see. They've played quite well since even before Formenton/Raaymakers. Definitely much better than their record would indicate. I disagree with your evaluation of needing 3F and 2D.

Jones/Pu/Thomas/Formenton/Miletic is as good a top 5 forward group as any in the league.

I'm pretty happy with Bouchard/Regula/Collins down the right side. Mete would slide in at the top pair LHD and play 35-40 minutes a game, so one LHD could be enough.

The upcoming stretch of games will provide a good indication.

Next year does not project that well but I'm not convinced that selling off our top guys this year will give us enough to make us contenders next year. The year after, Bouchard's gone.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
This years OHL draft is supposed to to good and deep. May be able to pluck some gems in the 2nd round and later.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
We'll see. They've played quite well since even before Formenton/Raaymakers. Definitely much better than their record would indicate. I disagree with your evaluation of needing 3F and 2D.

Jones/Pu/Thomas/Formenton/Miletic is as good a top 5 forward group as any in the league.

I'm pretty happy with Bouchard/Regula/Collins down the right side. Mete would slide in at the top pair LHD and play 35-40 minutes a game, so one LHD could be enough.

The upcoming stretch of games will provide a good indication.

Next year does not project that well but I'm not convinced that selling off our top guys this year will give us enough to make us contenders next year. The year after, Bouchard's gone.
Not sure if you are aware that 11 of the other forwards besides the 5 that you mentioned have a combined total of 16 goals,yes 16 goals in 19 games,Toss in the fact that Miletic has only 4 goals,Pu 5 and he hasn't been the same player since almost a year ago,Jones is a suspension waiting to happen,seems to be going for the Cy Young award 8G,1A,only Formenton and Thomas seem to be reliable with any consistency.
Mete alone can't bring this team to the level you desire that much is sure.
I do agree any moves London makes to make them better next year won't make them a contender.
Is what it is, rebuilds are a process,not always easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad