London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I think we should really try to get the rights to Jack Hughes from the Steelheads. I know it would be costly, but if he came over we would be laughing.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
If both Windsor and Erie decide to be sellers , there will be noway the Knighrs will get ful prices for their players with so many players available ! After spending for JR, Collins and Rollo and the team new found resurrection in their plays of late the Knights will almost have to go all out for the big prize. I have changed my opinion three times on this subject since the season started, and there is still two months left to trade deadline, How many more times am I going to change my mind before then !!!

PuckTalk1122

Sep 3, 2013
The last time I commented on JR, he had just finished losing to Saginaw after spending almost the entire game playing from his knees. While I will admit he has looked much better the last two games, I still don't believe he's done much better than Kooy or even Johnson could've done and at a much steeper price.

Kooy and Johnson were not great, but they were also victims of a very green defense and an offense that was having major problems scoring goals. JR came in at a time when most of our NHLers had returned, the offense was starting to come together and the defense was beginning to figure things out. I honestly don't think the results would've been any different regardless of who'd been in net. I'm not saying JR isn't better (or at least more experienced) than the other two, but I still don't believe he was worth the cost and I feel bad for Kooy, who didn't deserve to have to watch the last 11 games from the bench.

I don't see how it's possible to even argue that Raaymakers isn't the difference-maker. I think some people on here don't like his goalie style or don't like the fact he hasn't had the "stamp of approval" as an NHL pick, but it's hard to argue he isn't playing great. He's also been doing this since the beginning of the playoffs last year when he took his job back in SSM from Villalta. He had a rough go last year when he was given the starting job, but goalies figure it out at a later age and i think JR figured it out late last season.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
I think we should really try to get the rights to Jack Hughes from the Steelheads. I know it would be costly, but if he came over we would be laughing.
Idk hes an amazing player no dout but can the knights afford to send draft picks in a deal for a player who might show you. The only way i do the trade is if they take cheap price,which i dout or if Hughes says ill play in the ohl next season only way i see a deal happening

I don't see how it's possible to even argue that Raaymakers isn't the difference-maker. I think some people on here don't like his goalie style or don't like the fact he hasn't had the "stamp of approval" as an NHL pick, but it's hard to argue he isn't playing great. He's also been doing this since the beginning of the playoffs last year when he took his job back in SSM from Villalta. He had a rough go last year when he was given the starting job, but goalies figure it out at a later age and i think JR figured it out late last season.
No fault of Raaymakers play or talent level, but there are some(myself included)that feel Kooy or Johnson could have won the same number of games as Raaymakers with our current lineup. He's yet to steal us a game in the standings thus far. Kooy deserves to get the net and not sit for 12 straight..I don't care if Parsons is there ahead of him. No goalie deserves to sit 12 straight.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015

No one here arguing Raaymakers talent, we think the organization placed a band-aid where there were no bleeding, he's now part of our team and we are happy to have him !!!

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Idk hes an amazing player no dout but can the knights afford to send draft picks in a deal for a player who might show you. The only way i do the trade is if they take cheap price,which i dout or if Hughes says ill play in the ohl next season only way i see a deal happening
I feel like if Hughes plays ohl he will want to play for us.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I was and still am in support of the goalie trade.
The team didnt have confidence in either IMO.
Kooy was yanked in 2(?) of his starts.
Last year was a perfect scenario he walked into.
Althou Um no goalie coach lol, I know the kid has talent. Ive seen him play alot. Has alot of solid physical tools.
Confidence and the mental game can be a grind for tenders, esp youngins.
Im sure they are working with him everyday to get past it.
I will say 12 straight is too long thou.

I was and still am in support of the goalie trade.
The team didnt have confidence in either IMO.
Kooy was yanked in 2(?) of his starts.
Last year was a perfect scenario he walked into.
Althou Um no goalie coach lol, I know the kid has talent. Ive seen him play alot. Has alot of solid physical tools.
Confidence and the mental game can be a grind for tenders, esp youngins.
Im sure they are working with him everyday to get past it.
I will say 12 straight is too long thou.
I don't mind the trade to bring in Raaymakers as a settling presence.. however I do not like the price we paid to get him. I realize some will say you have to pay to play, but I don't feel this season is a season I'd be tossing picks around to get players for 1 round of the playoffs at best. Yes he settled some rough waters, but this team is still a mess regardless of who is manning the pipes

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
We go for it only if both Erie and Windsor sells this will lower the prices because of all the players availability, and we're sure at a chance of a long journey, if they buy then we sell to the highest bidder around the league for maximum returns. If only one of them sell then we have to go with what we have and hope for the best as we just can't afford to over pay this season, what Erie and Windsor do will determine the value of the buys . IMHO !!!

Last edited:

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
No fault of Raaymakers play or talent level, but there are some(myself included)that feel Kooy or Johnson could have won the same number of games as Raaymakers with our current lineup. He's yet to steal us a game in the standings thus far. Kooy deserves to get the net and not sit for 12 straight..I don't care if Parsons is there ahead of him. No goalie deserves to sit 12 straight.

It's supposed to be a development league but this is happening far too often... Goalies sit on the bench most of the year, players sit in the stands until someone gets hurt.

I realize that these kids are getting paid to be on the team but some kids are just being left on the sidelines... Losing confidence, getting frustrated and gaining nothing.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
No one here arguing Raaymakers talent, we think the organization placed a band-aid where there were no bleeding, he's now part of our team and we are happy to have him !!!
Important to remember that sometimes fans aren’t exposed to all problems. Maybe the bleeding was internal and a culture change was needed. The trade has helped so why is this still talked about negatively?

Reactions: aresknights

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Important to remember that sometimes fans aren’t exposed to all problems. Maybe the bleeding was internal and a culture change was needed. The trade has helped so why is this still talked about negatively?

Since it is understood fans only comments on external problems so what's the problem with their outside comments ? Fans seen a band-aid appeared where fans did not see bleeding , fans questions the value of the needless band-aid !!!

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Since it is understood fans only comments on external problems so what's the problem with their outside comments ? Fans seen a band-aid appeared where fans did not see bleeding , fans questions the value of the needless band-aid !!!
What’s the point of this post? To get last word? I simply am stating that things changed for the good since JR trade. Sometimes change is needed to correct problems behind the scenes. It may or may not be true but not everything is black and white.

The trade helped improve the team. Record shows that.

Reactions: PuckTalk1122

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think the perception of an improved team merely coincides with the timing of the trade and is not a result of the trade. I also think the dynamic of the "team" by definition hasn't changed.

Agreed.

I think Raaymakers definitely has helped, but there are other things to consider:

1) The 6-1-1 run also coincides with Formenton's return
2) The Knights were already starting to play good hockey before the Raaymakers trade. In the three games prior to the trade (2 losses to Windsor, OTL to OS) I thought they deserved all three games and just needed some more scoring luck.

After the first 7 games the Knights have been a pretty decent team.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Does anyone think the three London Knights players at the Canada/Russia Series made a case for themselves to make the Canadian team ?

I think not, the only one that have an outside chance from the three that played last night is Formenton because his skating was consistent in both games. Pu did show flashes of his speed at times and other times he was practically invisible on the ice. Bouchard played well and steady but I don't believe he's amoung the top 8 defenders of the country. Thomas is the best the Knights have to offer, but with only one game to show his stuff to the Canadian Brass, it may be not enough to place him on the team.

Thomas deserve to be on the team, if just from his plays we witnessed since he came back from NHL camp. The Canadian managements should scouts some more of his games to see what he's all about . IMHO !!!

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Thomas is virtually a lock

Canada’s D depth is good. Makes Bouchard’s chances slim at best.

Formenton could find a role. Wouldn’t bring him. Does not offer enough.

Pu isn’t deserving. Doesn’t compete hard enough and is too wildly inconsistent. In short Tournament, that doesn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->