London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Yeah I guess. But considering their biggest need is a scoring RW, it'd be even better to have Sherwood playing here. Or is it their second biggest need after a veteran d-man? :ha:

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
Are the Knights too good at scouting OHL talent? Has there ever been a team that unexpectedly graduated so many NHL players?

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
The only surprises are Bratt and Mete. Formenton will be back.

Crawley was a drafted OA. Olli was a top 5 pick. We went for it last year and have up some talented kids that would have played this year.

Londoner Knight

Aug 31, 2016
London Ont
LONDON AND BARRIE COMPLETE TRADE

http://londonknights.com/article/london-and-barrie-complete-trade-2

The London Knights have announced the team has acquired defenseman Shane Collins from the Barrie Colts in exchange for a draft pick.
Collins, a native of Rosetown, Saskatchewan, most recently played for the Prince George Cougars of the WHL. The 6’0.75”, 188-pound blueliner is seen as a puck moving defenseman.
The full details of the trade can be seen below.
To London
  • Shane Collins
To Barrie
  • London 14th Round Selection in 2018 OHL Priority Selection
Shane Collins
Defence
Born: February 20, 1997 – Rosetown, SK
Height – 6.00.75 Weight – 188lbs
SeasonTeamLeagueGPGAPTS +/-PIM
2016-17Prince GeorgeWHL7221113+731
2015-16Prince GeorgeWHL6921921+1851
2014-15Prince GeorgeWHL40145-218
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

The London Knights have announced the team has acquired defenseman Shane Collins from the Barrie Colts in exchange for a draft pick.
Collins, a native of Rosetown, Saskatchewan, most recently played for the Prince George Cougars of the WHL. The 6’0.75”, 188-pound blueliner is seen as a puck moving defenseman.
To London

• Shane Collins
To Barrie

Shane Collins
Defence
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

To London

• Shane Collins
To Barrie

Shane Collins
Defence
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's not a bad deal, actually it's a smart deal making good sense for the Knights. Over 180 games of CHL experience coming to London helping a young defense team, and all it cost is a 14th rounder, that's one to place on the good side for Simpson !

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights have 4 Over-Age Players

Shane Collins............R Shot D-Man
Tyler Rollo............... ..L Shot Forward
Adrian Carbonara....R Shot Forward
Sam Miletic................L Shot Forward

Reactions: LDN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Shane Collins.............Saskatchewan D-Man is very Fit
Prince George had 6 OAs in their Camp
Ted Clarke / Prince George Citizen
September 14, 2017 10:48 PM
For the past two years, defenceman Shane Collins has proven himself the most fit Prince George Cougar player in training camp.
Guess that has something to do with the fact Collins grew up as the only son on the family farm near Rosetown, Sask. When he hasn't been playing hockey or going to school he's spent a good chunk of his 20 years trying to keep on top of the chores that come with working 4,000 acres of land to help feed the country.
And when it came to sports, Collins was a natural. Combine that athleticism and farmboy work ethic with three years of seasoning in the Western Hockey League and it's easy to see why he has become such a valuable commodity for the Cougars.
So why is he a man on the bubble, not sure if he's going to finish his junior career in Prince George? As one of six remaining 20-year-olds on a team that's allowed to keep just three for the season, barring a trade, Collins won't likely know for sure until the Oct. 15 overager deadline if he will stick with the team that picked him in the third round of the 2012 WHL bantam draft.
Todd Harkins has been spending a lot of time on his phone talking to other WHL general managers about potential trades and Collins's name comes up often in those conversations.
"Everyone wants Shane Collins, a smart kid who plays hard and makes a great first pass - those type of defencemen are hard to find," said Harkins. "He would be an asset for us or for any team."
Collins is a weight room animal and loves to set the example for his teammates during dryland workouts after practice. He knows being fit is an asset when it comes time to trying to keep up to the fastest forwards invading his turf on the ice.
"I'm really good at power movements, the clean-and-jerk Olympic lifts, I seem to have explosive hips and my jumps are pretty good," said Collins. "I think it helps my stride a lot - I have a very powerful stride, it's the best part of my skating, I think. It's tough to really build strength in the year, you have to put in a good summer and try to maintain it through the year so that come February you're still strong."
Picked by the Vancouver Canucks in the seventh round in 2015, Olson focused more on his defensive game last season and his production dropped from 47 points in 2015-16 to 24 last season. He attended two Canuck camps but went unsigned and is now a free agent. Like Collins, he has three seasons of WHL experience and it would be tough for the Cougars to part with him.
Cougars coaches Richard Matvichuk and Shawn Chambers are former Stanley Cup-winning NHL defencemen, both entering their second season with the Cougars, and Olson wants to be around them again.
"I think I'm more composed on the ice, not as erratic and I don't get out of position as much, and I think that's one of the biggest things (he's learned from the Cougar coaches), staying closer to home and not being way too crazy out on the ice - being better defensively is definitely stressed," said Olson.
"(The NHL camps) showed me what everyone's doing at the next level and it makes you want to be one of them, obviously. It just comes down to how much you want to do it. There's 30 other teams out there and (getting dropped by the Canucks) is not the end of the world."
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/sports/collins-a-cougar-in-waiting-1.22725784

4kmm4

Jun 12, 2013
I have a suggestion for the 9 game NHL thing. Make it the teams 9 games, not the player.
Stop holding the OHL hostage.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
So how long before Carbonara or Miletic are traded? Rollo fits right in and they would t have traded for him if he wasn’t going to stay. You can only dress 3 O/A’s. Hope we get a good return from Sudbury for Carbonara ;)

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
So how long before Carbonara or Miletic are traded? Rollo fits right in and they would t have traded for him if he wasn’t going to stay. You can only dress 3 O/A’s. Hope we get a good return from Sudbury for Carbonara ;)
we dont need him in Sudbury we have 2 players like him already pilons

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
It will be a toss up between Carbonara and Rollo unless there is a deal in the works for Sam. I personally like Adrian and what he brings to the team. Maybe getting Collins was a warning shot to wake up the other O/A's or something is in the works. Who knows.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
It will be a toss up between Carbonara and Rollo unless there is a deal in the works for Sam. I personally like Adrian and what he brings to the team. Maybe getting Collins was a warning shot to wake up the other O/A's or something is in the works. Who knows.

Signing another O/A player when the team is already at the limit just guarantees a card burned, even if this latest addition only cost a 14th round pick. The Knights have usually been very frugal with their card management and don't typically box themselves into a corner. I have to think that another team is shopping for one of the O/A players, so that a deal will open up a slot for Collins. Whichever of the others end up traded, I'm betting that their return will be more than a 14th round pick.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I have a suggestion for the 9 game NHL thing. Make it the teams 9 games, not the player.

Only when OHL(CHL) start paying it's players under contracts like the pros do can this argument has a chance to stand on a leg !

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

What a crazy stance to take. You think the young kids should get less time in the NHL so that they can quickly be sent back to not getting paid and playing in front of 2000 fans? The OHL is about development and the longer a kid can be around an NHL team and NHL players, the better for his development

Reactions: aresknights

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canadiens place veteran Mark Streit on waivers

39-year-old defenceman won Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh last season

By John Wawrow, The Associated Press Posted: Oct 12, 2017

Veteran defenceman Mark Streit is suddenly the odd-man out in the Montreal Canadiens' ongoing blue-line shuffle.
The Canadiens placed the 39-year-old on waivers Thursday three months after signing him to a one-year, $700,000 US contract. Streit won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh last season.
The Canadiens signed Streit in free agency to restock their depleted group of defenceman. Andrei Markov left to play in his native Russia, Alexei Emelin was claimed in the NHL expansion draft and Nathan Beaulieu was traded to Buffalo.
Canadiens coach Claude Julien previously said patience was required to allow the players a chance to develop.
"We're going to be fine," Julien said, following a 6-1 loss at Washington last weekend. "A lot of new faces back there, and guys are just trying to get used to doing the right things and being in sync with each other."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-mark-streit-waivers-1.4351905

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
I find it very difficult to watch Bouchard. The guy is a turnover machine. What am I missing? Why is he rated so High?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Came here to say Regula looks really good, but he takes a delay of game penalty as I finish typing...

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I find it very difficult to watch Bouchard. The guy is a turnover machine. What am I missing? Why is he rated so High?

He has the tools but no box to put them in yet. I see potentional but I also a kid with a short attention span. Last year I watched him make the same play for 4 straight games and that play resulted in 4 turnovers and 4 goals against.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I mean they played well enough but they really lack that killer instinct. 1 goal again? The forward group isn't so drastically different from last year that you'd except such a drop off in goals.

1-7 start to the year? Jeez, who saw that coming. Extremely disappointing start - something has to change.

How is the team going to look when players are inevitably sold off? Younger players need to step up and start producing or else we're looking at an absolutely putrid year.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Knights played their best game so far this season , lots of positive to work with. They really looked good if not for Depiatro it could have been a different outcome at the end !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad