London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastAveFan

Nov 20, 2013
I'd much rather send Pu and Jones packing and take the rewards of such moves and tuck them aside for a rainy day than try to put this team in a position to possibly make 2 rounds this season. My thought pattern has changed since I saw Bratt play his 1st NHL game. The kid isn't coming and good for him. Had Bratt arrived here I think my mindset would have been add a few pieces and I have said such.

Bratt was the key for me, not Jones returning or Pu. The success of this season for me revolved around getting Bratt in the lineup and making moves to build the team around him. Most will say one player can't change the dynamic of a team...but Bratt coupled with Mete returning by November(still say he'll see 9 and be back) and this team would have been close...very close to being a top contender.

Bratt was always at worst playing in the AHL. The Knights took him only because their 1st choice didn't get sandbagged down to them. Swung for the fences and hoped they would connect.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Bratt is gone. So just waiting on Mete and Formenton and I don't see Mete coming back.

Like I said should unload and go for Byfield. Because if you unload you're better off going for #1 overall.

Bratt was always at worst playing in the AHL. The Knights took him only because their 1st choice didn't get sandbagged down to them. Swung for the fences and hoped they would connect.

Liljegren was never coming to London. It was either NHL, AHL or Sweden.

London knew that.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
you suggesting that the Knights tank and finish last? That is the only way Byfield becomes a Knight

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Unless the Knights decide to buy a bunch of players (3 DS - 2 Fs and 1 G) pay for them on draft picks credit paid in full by 2030, the Knights will stay as they are until the deadline and then open the sell out auction !

This season is awash just keep enough to keep 9 030 fans back in their seats and start thinking in two or three year term !!!

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It is what it is. No need to panic or make rash decisions. Just like a month ago, ya wait a month, if not 2. into the season, to make decisions (unless someone makes you a Mattinen offer, than ya take it it n run ;)) Sell, stand pat, lateral moves, add.
I suggested Bratt was gone to a few posters shortly after camp in London opened. (and I agree with EastAveFan, i think there was a trickle down effect in the Euro draft. OS wasnt happen either :))
Mete surprised me, no doubt but good on him.
Joulevi- most expected gone, and the right move IMO for his development.
Foremonton should be back IMO but who knows.
Crawley- expected him gone as I always saw him as more pro ready than Day who he was competing with..
MH is still involved with rhis squad.
I have faith this gets flipped quick. None of this 5/6 yrs and counting, without an OHL PO series win ;)

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
you suggesting that the Knights tank and finish last? That is the only way Byfield becomes a Knight

Who said they would have to finish last to select Byfield:naughty:

Finishing last would make it a sure thing but maybe Byfield See's london is picking top 5 and plays the NCAA card like many before him
Only time will tell

Reactions: BoxerMax

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Who said they would have to finish last to select Byfield:naughty:

Finishing last would make it a sure thing but maybe Byfield See's london is picking top 5 and plays the NCAA card like many before him
Only time will tell
NCAA card won't work for Byfield - he will go 1 or 2 and if he won't report he will go for a boatload of picks and players. Teams rebuilding will not pass over that opportunity.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Janne Kuokkanen on Opening Day Roster with Carolina Hurricane
By Chip Alexander

[email protected]

October 03, 2017 2:47 PM
Some of the guesswork during Carolina Hurricanes training camp has centered on whether rookies Martin Necas or Janne Kuokkanen could make the opening-night roster for the season opener.
Turns out, both will.
Canes general manager Ron Francis said Tuesday the two forwards were on the 23-man roster the team formally submitted to the NHL. Necas, from the Czech Republic, was Carolina’s first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft and the youngest player in training camp at 18.
Kuokkanen, 19, was taken in the second round of the 2016 draft and left his native Finland to play junior hockey last season for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, finishing with 26 goals and 62 points in 60 games. After the season, he appeared in one Calder Cup playoff game for the Checkers.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article176780036.html

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
NCAA card won't work for Byfield - he will go 1 or 2 and if he won't report he will go for a boatload of picks and players. Teams rebuilding will not pass over that opportunity.

See Jack Hughes last year. See Kirill Nizhnikov the previous year.

The OHL draft allows players to dictate where they want to go most of the time. Some teams aren't comfortable stepping up to take a player who may not report especially if they hold a high pick. See Barrie for example. Drafting a player who reports is priority number one for a lot of teams.

Byfield could certainly pick his destination to some extent if he wanted. Doubt he does that but it could happen.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Formenton played under 5 minutes in his debut and was scratched last night for Ottawa's roadie against the Canucks. I expect him to be back sooner rather than later.

Not sure why they're even keeping him up in the first place.

Is watching NHL games from the pressbox or sitting on the bench really such an invaluable experience?

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Only thing I can think of is giving him a taste of life on the road in the NHL. With Ottawa starting on a road trip it will offer him that experience.

They did the same thing with Chabot last year kept him up for about a month and sent him back he played very little if at all

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The Art of trying to stick in the NHL
By: Mike Stubbs
October 10, 2017 6:49 pm

There are currently just a handful of players playing in the National Hockey League who could still play in the Ontario Hockey League this season.
They come from three teams: the London Knights, the Windsor Spitfires and the Mississauga Steelheads.
So far five of them have appeared in an NHL game and they can keep on playing all the way to a ninth game before a year of their contract truly kicks in.
Victor Mete (London Knights)
You can surmise how much of a surprise Mete was at the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp by the number he was given. When the Calgary Flames handed out numbers last year, 19-year-old Matthew Tkachuk got No. 19. Calgary had a pretty good idea that Tkachuk had what it took to stay in the NHL.
Mete was given No. 53. Since he has worn No. 98 for a long time, you can follow along with the logic that he was handed that number in training camp just like fellow defencemen, Eric Gelinas got No. 52 and Noah Juulsen got No. 58. Only, Mete outlasted both of those players and everyone else and continues to play well as a 19-year-old National Hockey Leaguer.
Other OHL Players trying to stick in the NHL:
Alex Formenton (London Knights)
Jesper Bratt (London Knights)
Owen Tippett (Mississauga Steelheads)
Michael McLeod (Mississauga Steelheads)
Logan Brown (Windsor Spitfires)
Mikhail Sergachev (Windsor Spitfires)
https://globalnews.ca/news/3794691/the-art-of-trying-to-stick-in-the-nhl/

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Analysis of Victor Mete with the Montreal Canadiens
Andrew Berkshire October 11, 2017, 1:01 PM
Through four games, Mete leads all Canadiens defencemen in transition plays, moving the puck up the ice 18 times per 20 minutes of ice time at even strength, which is exactly what the Canadiens need from him. However, while the number may be high, that doesn’t account for failed plays, so let’s look at how successful he’s been in transition relative to his teammates.
Mete.png

He’s not a game changer in the defensive zone yet, but let’s remember for a minute this is a 19-year-old rookie who is playing some of the toughest minutes in the NHL alongside Weber. Being slightly below team average in turnover rate and average in pass success rate in the defensive zone isn’t exactly a slight against him, especially when you consider how much pressure he’s facing to make plays.
Mete is very clearly the most efficient Canadiens defenceman at both blue lines, creating more controlled exits than any other defenceman (3.3 per 20 minutes played at even strength) and more that are followed by another successful play (2.9).
Mete is reluctant to dump the puck, a trait the Canadiens need to generate offence while Weber is on the ice at even strength, and something that was a problem last season. Now, you may be thinking the Canadiens haven’t generated any offence this year either, but wild things can happen in four games. The point is the process with Mete is good.

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
If Ottawa is going to scratch Formenton 2 out of 3 games and only play him 4:54 when they actually dress him the just SEND HIM BACK TO LONDON where he will get like 20-25 minutes every night instead of doing nothing!!!

Reactions: zman77

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If Ottawa is going to scratch Formenton 2 out of 3 games and only play him 4:54 when they actually dress him the just SEND HIM BACK TO LONDON where he will get like 20-25 minutes every night instead of doing nothing!!!

Playing 5 minutes a night against men, learning how to live like an NHL player, learning how to train like an NHL player, getting an actual income. All of that is better for the player than playing against teenagers, riding in buses and living in a house with den parents and possibly another teammate. If you were to ask the player I am sure he would rather stay in Ottawa.

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
Playing 5 minutes a night against men, learning how to live like an NHL player, learning how to train like an NHL player, getting an actual income. All of that is better for the player than playing against teenagers, riding in buses and living in a house with den parents and possibly another teammate. If you were to ask the player I am sure he would rather stay in Ottawa.

I would agree if he was a year older but he just turned 18 4 weeks ago. Maybe i'm wrong but thats just my opinion right or wrong.

Reactions: TheCoach and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Kole Sherwood is being returned to the Flint Firebirds
According to......
OHLInTheKnow,.....on Flint Site.

This will help Flint move into contention now, from the Ryan Mcleod deal they should have enough young players and draft picks still in the bank for wheeling & dealing to upgrade . I can see them coming after Max Jones of the Knights and Taylor Raddysh of Erie , they should soon become the terror of the West right along side Owen Sound !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad