London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
the other factor right now is the low number of top US players you currently have to supplement the roster...look back at your best years and you'll see the high number and the impact of top guys that led your team. Teams that cant get those types to report will always be behind the 8-ball im afraid.

I'd much rather send Pu and Jones packing and take the rewards of such moves and tuck them aside for a rainy day than try to put this team in a position to possibly make 2 rounds this season. My thought pattern has changed since I saw Bratt play his 1st NHL game. The kid isn't coming and good for him. Had Bratt arrived here I think my mindset would have been add a few pieces and I have said such.

Bratt was the key for me, not Jones returning or Pu. The success of this season for me revolved around getting Bratt in the lineup and making moves to build the team around him. Most will say one player can't change the dynamic of a team...but Bratt coupled with Mete returning by November(still say he'll see 9 and be back) and this team would have been close...very close to being a top contender.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
This team is not going to win any shiny silver anytime soon, regardless if they are all coming back, look at last season they were loaded and many of those are coming back this year. What's is worrysome is for a losing habits to set in around the team, this team long success was created by winning tradition year after year, but now stand of losing that tradition and replace it with a losing one. I am not as confident as many are, probably because I've seen castles crumbling down before and know how hard it is to stay on top. I just want this team to get back up to respectabilty again, maybe not winning the big prize but have just enough winnings for the young players to pick up that winning tradition again lll

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No need to say sorry Nelli lol.

Good post. I agree this team wont go 5+ years without a PO series win.
I think the staff still wants a mid paxk finish and will make a move or two to get there.
And it may include addition by subtraction of some top 6 talent ( I hope)

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
This team reminds me of the 2004 Knights when the only experienced guy we had on the back end was Wideman. We had rookies Syvret, Methot, Nemeth, Quincey, Potruff, Redecker and Richmond. By Christmas they will be better . That year we also had Ryan McDonald and Gerald Coleman in goal.

This team reminds me of the 2004 Knights when the only experienced guy we had on the back end was Wideman. We had rookies Syvret, Methot, Nemeth, Quincey, Potruff, Redecker and Richmond. By Christmas they will be better . That year we also had Ryan McDonald and Gerald Coleman in goal.
The 03-04 Knights had much more depth up front....plus Syvret, Methot, Quincey were not rookies in 03-04. I think you mean the 2002-2003 season the 1st season at the JLC. Houle was the starter that year. Thin throughout but a fun team to watch

Reactions: Nabru

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I am also in the camp suggesting Pu and Jones should be traded....do it now while they still have some value. I'd love to know how they get along off the ice because since the midpoint of last season they have absolutely no chemistry and seem to refuse to pass to one another inside the other team's zone. It's become painful to watch, yet the coaches (up until last night) keep throwing them out there together. Personally, I think they've both been trying to do everything themselves for so long that they don't even know how to pass the puck efficiently.

Also, I think they're both getting way too much (uninspired) ice time for the results they're putting forth.....would love to see a guy like Nelson get more ice.....at least he looks like he's putting forth an effort out there! My number one line right now would be Thomas with Nelson and Miletic. Beyond those three, there's just not much to be excited about right now.

I also agree that adding Mete and Bratt would make this team a contender again, but if we don't get either one back, then I think it's time to do a full scale rebuild....something we haven't seen in London in quite some time.

Animal House

Jan 8, 2015
Erie, Pa.
No need to say sorry Nelli lol.

Good post. I agree this team wont go 5+ years without a PO series win.
I think the staff still wants a mid paxk finish and will make a move or two to get there.
And it may include addition by subtraction of some top 6 talent ( I hope)

Otters fan here. I probably will be criticized by Erie fans (and others), but I believe London right now is the gold standard to which other teams strive for. Like them or not, the London organization has had a solid plan in place. It is a testimony to their history of developing players and putting them into position to succeed, i.e. Horvat, Domi, Tkachuk, and now Mete and Formenton. Is it a wonder why American free agents want to play for London?
As my wife and I watched last night's game, I told her that if London decided to go all in, I could see Raddysh ending up in London. They have the assets to make it happen. Jury is still out on the current Erie management and how they handle this year, but I hope they look at London's blueprint over the last few years and try and emulate it. I wonder if it would be great to go into other teams barns and be hated on as much as London because of their success?

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
The 03-04 Knights had much more depth up front....plus Syvret, Methot, Quincey were not rookies in 03-04. I think you mean the 2002-2003 season the 1st season at the JLC. Houle was the starter that year. Thin throughout but a fun team to watch

Correct. The 02-03 team was thin and very young, lost Nash as an 18 year old but could compete at times with the best teams as seen by taking the Whalers to 7 games and beating the Memorial Cup winning Rangers a couple times during the season. 03-04 was a powerhouse team, 110 points without Nash and without the benefit of shootout points, should have been an OHL/Memorial Cup winning season and has little to no resemblance of this season's Knights.

As far as this season is concerned, I'm in the camp of being patient and re-evaluating come December/January. Good teams do not make rash decisions after 7 games. I really want to see the 16 and 17 year olds develop but I'm not that enthused with some of them. It's telling when Dale dresses 18yo Alex Turko who is a junior B talent over Moskal and DuHart - 2 relatively high picks!

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Otters fan here. I probably will be criticized by Erie fans (and others), but I believe London right now is the gold standard to which other teams strive for. Like them or not, the London organization has had a solid plan in place. It is a testimony to their history of developing players and putting them into position to succeed, i.e. Horvat, Domi, Tkachuk, and now Mete and Formenton. Is it a wonder why American free agents want to play for London?
As my wife and I watched last night's game, I told her that if London decided to go all in, I could see Raddysh ending up in London. They have the assets to make it happen. Jury is still out on the current Erie management and how they handle this year, but I hope they look at London's blueprint over the last few years and try and emulate it. I wonder if it would be great to go into other teams barns and be hated on as much as London because of their success?

The thing is London has resources and facilities that other teams don't and other teams have just as good of a development model if not better (SOO, OS, ERI, OSH). For example, your Otters keep spitting out good OHL players drafted in rounds where finding OHL talent is a fool's errand. London gets the attention because of the big rink/big market and the continuity of ownership going on 17 years. And I am a London fan.

As an aside, I think the American and even Canadian well of talent is starting to dry up for London and for that matter the rest of the OHL. The lawsuits are probably scaring families away and most if not all OHL teams simply cannot offer an attractive enough package you'd get at a D1 school in the States.

The last high end American London landed was drafted over 3 years ago and they had to use a first round pick on him. Since Mark Hunter has been away from, the day to day operations, London has drafted more local talent and landed less high end American talent. A while ago someone one here who knew quite a bit about the OHL alluded to the fact that London wasn't what they used to be with Hunter with the Leafs and perhaps we're starting to see this now. If the Knights are the kings of junior hockey, why isn't Brady Tkachuk in the green and gold right now?

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I echo what Nabru said. The talent is running thin in our 16/17 age group. No real cream there, maybe a few 3rd pairing D, and bottom 6 fwds. I am 100% in favour of blowing it up, but the question is who could move, I think the only player who for sure doesn't have a no trade is Thomas correct?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The thing is London has resources and facilities that other teams don't and other teams have just as good of a development model if not better (SOO, OS, ERI, OSH). For example, your Otters keep spitting out good OHL players drafted in rounds where finding OHL talent is a fool's errand. London gets the attention because of the big rink/big market and the continuity of ownership going on 17 years. And I am a London fan.

As an aside, I think the American and even Canadian well of talent is starting to dry up for London and for that matter the rest of the OHL. The lawsuits are probably scaring families away and most if not all OHL teams simply cannot offer an attractive enough package you'd get at a D1 school in the States.

The last high end American London landed was drafted over 3 years ago and they had to use a first round pick on him. Since Mark Hunter has been away from, the day to day operations, London has drafted more local talent and landed less high end American talent. A while ago someone one here who knew quite a bit about the OHL alluded to the fact that London wasn't what they used to be with Hunter with the Leafs and perhaps we're starting to see this now. If the Knights are the kings of junior hockey, why isn't Brady Tkachuk in the green and gold right now?

I think the number of NHL players produced is more reflective of a team's development model than finding late round OHL gems, which is why most think London is the best development team in the CHL (this year is a perfect example).

But I do agree that London hasn't attracted the big name U.S talent since Hunter/MacRae left. There's clearly more to recruiting than just reputation - Hunter definitely had a lot of connections that Simpson doesn't have. The quality of our 2016 draft may end up hurting this team, and I'm not impressed with our 2017 1st yet.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
Nabru is right;

Mark Hunter was on the plane traveling the globe so was to an extent McRae, we don't hear as much from Simpson. This is how Mark got Michael Houser by scouting him out of Des Moines that one year prier as well as Tommy Hughes and many others and also how Basil got to sign all those free agents the Crawley, Valentini and etc by going and watching all these payers play first hand.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

very good points and a factor now for US players is the emergence of the USHL they can stay at home maybe get drafted from USHL or use it to land a big College scholarship its getting close to the OHL level overall now. Maybe it will at least make for more paridy in the OHL level the playing field perhaps. I'm pretty sure if london has all its NHL guys back Tkachuk would be in london right now. Have a hard time lumping OS with the other teams youve mentioned at present lets see after the picks that they got for Mete move on and how they do in 2-3 yrs from now. To attract top US kids now you've got to have top notch facilities and a team thats gonna compete for a championship or forget it so that limits most teams. Ever been on the campus of a big college team holy smokes talk about facilities !!!

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
They won't do it because of pride but they should gut the team, finish last and draft Quinton Byfield. He's the real deal.
Would be worth the price of admission for the next two years.

Reactions: TheCoach

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
ph
the other factor right now is the low number of top US players you currently have to supplement the roster...look back at your best years and you'll see the high number and the impact of top guys that led your team. Teams that cant get those types to report will always be behind the 8-ball im afraid.[/QUOTE

oh yeah guy is a beast best comparison is eric lindros at same age although maybe lindros punished guys just a little bit more than byfield but same attributes . byfield could be a contributor on any ohl team today at 15!!!

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
They won't do it because of pride but they should gut the team, finish last and draft Quinton Byfield. He's the real deal.

oh yeah guy is a beast best comparison is eric lindros at same age although maybe lindros punished guys just a little bit more than byfield but same attributes . byfield could be a contributor on any ohl team today at 15!!![/QUOTE]

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I wouldnt gut the team. And they wont. Never have.
Byfield is a great prospect. Looked good as an underager at last years OHL Cup. Top3 Pick Id guess now

Reactions: zman77

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I wouldnt gut the team. And they wont. Never have.
Byfield is a great prospect. Looked good as an underager at last years OHL Cup. Top3 Pick Id guess now

10-11? Traded D'Orazio, Ehrlich, DeSousa and others I believe

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
10-11? Traded D'Orazio, Ehrlich, DeSousa and others I believe

Your right. Pretty decent sell off. I guess i was thinking more selling your top guys off (if they would OK a trade) Domi, Kadri type guys, they held onto ( again, not sure whose choice)

Id move a couple top 6 Fs (very specific top end talents) without hesitation, but I doubt it happens.

Im not throwing in the towel, just wouldnt have an issue with 2 bodies being flipped. Just not a big fan despite the obvious talent. Cant see it thou.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Victor Mete:
NY Rangers 2-0 Win over the Montreal Canadienes
Minutes Played 19:28...............0 +-

Comments from Habs Fans after the Ranger Game:
domiwroze:

He is NHL ready when he is the 2nd best D in your team after 2game while being under heavy pressure as a 5'9" 19years old kid facing Eichel/Backstrom/etc.
Can he keep that pace for 82games tho? We wont know unless we let him play.
If we're going to try him out for 9games and then make a decision, i say use him with weber for those 7remaining games and see if he can keep up every night, if not, send him back home with a list of thing to work on.
If he does keep up, keep him with the big club, its not like he can do worse than Davidson/streit/benn/morrow/Gelinas/etc
CrAzYNiNe:
I have the opposite philosophy. Let him play and make mistakes, but keep putting him out there. If the team is gonna fall, let him get his icetime and make sure you don't blame him, even if it's his fault. Show him how to get better from those mistakes. This team relying so much on Price shows with all the players poor confidence (general reason I think this team is so damn streaky).
Andrei79:
I'm so, so impressed by Mete. What a ****ing player
peate:
He's the best D-man on the team not called Shea.
TTI:
He's definitely NHL ready. Kid is giving us 18+ solid minutes already
GObias:
Pretty much only bright spot so far this season. Keep it up kid.
BaseballCoach:
He is more poised with the puck under pressure than any of the other D on the team except maybe Weber. And he usually makes a successful pass to a teammate rather than bang it off the glass and back to the other team.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/53-victor-mete.2393757/page-6

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Bratt currently helping the Devils embarrass the Sabres. 3 points

Just in case there was any doubt

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Bratt currently helping the Devils embarrass the Sabres. 3 points

Just in case there was any doubt

He's also leading the Devil's in scoring with 5 points in 2 games. Good thing I got to see him in the only time he was ever a London Knight. Good luck Jesper!

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->