London beats Kingston 14-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Give it all you have every shift. Whether it is 9-1 for or against.

If Kingston had a problem with the 14-1 score, maybe a little more effort when it was 6-1 was required.

Last edited:

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
I wonder if back in the 1982 playoffs the Oilers let up when leading 5-0 against the Kings in the 3rd period.

I always wonder what the, "don't run up the score," crowd thinks of those miracle comebacks in sports. I mean, if the team that's leading by a lot has agreed to stop trying, then shouldn't the team that's losing also agree to not try to make a comeback? And then there will never ever be another great comeback in any sport ever again.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
andora said:
it still applies, they should be playing properly, they are on a national stage, many are future pros (in some level), and there is also a question of respect and class...

fight you in the corner

I think its even more disrespectful to lay back and just let the game play out. If i was down 10-1, i'd expect the other team to take their chances, not just let off the hook for playing.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
andora said:
well if the other team obviously has nothing on that given night, which is obviously what happened, why the need for 14-1.. i understand the never let up and agree, but up to a certain point.. 7-1, 8-1, even 9-1.. but when a team is as bad as kingston apparently was... it just seems silly..

which instances are you talking about in the nhl with similar scores? there was that washington / florida one i think, but other than that in the past several years?

You've had a great example on this thread, when the Red Wings and their "classless Dale Hunter-like" coach Scotty Bowman embarassed the Habs at home. Captained by Yzerman and plenty of amazing players as far as I'm concerned.

It's happening less and less. Because of this new, morphed, dumb NHL code. Which has nothing to do with "traditional" hockey but somehow people are convinced that's how you're supposed to play the game.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I don't mind seeing someone run up the score in junior....however if Kingston would have gone after them with the fists, I would have been all for it.

I know if I was losing 14-1 my gloves would be coming off....grab Perry and tune him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Unbiased Canadian said:
I don't mind seeing someone run up the score in junior....however if Kingston would have gone after them with the fists, I would have been all for it.

I know if I was losing 14-1 my gloves would be coming off....grab Perry and tune him.
Thats chicken **** at its best. Go after London's tough guys and take your frustrations out but not after the stars. Shows what type of player you were.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Poor Dave Bolland =4 goals and 2 assists BUT still only the 2nd star! That can't happen very often...

IkeaMonkey*

andora said:
well if the other team obviously has nothing on that given night, which is obviously what happened, why the need for 14-1.. i understand the never let up and agree, but up to a certain point.. 7-1, 8-1, even 9-1.. but when a team is as bad as kingston apparently was... it just seems silly.

So where is the line definetivly drawn? You threw out three examples. Who's to say you need to "stop playing" when up 6 goals? You play to win the games. If you win in OT or win by 20, you play. to win. the games.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
So where is the line definetivly drawn? You threw out three examples. Who's to say you need to "stop playing" when up 6 goals? You play to win the games. If you win in OT or win by 20, you play. to win. the games.

You can never tell your players to stop playing, even if you're up by 13 goals. What you can do is start giving your lower ranking players more ice time. That's what the classy coaches do, give the fourth liners the first line ice time in a blow out. If they score, they score. No idea what Hunter did here, but you can never tell your players to stop playing.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:

But if you and your team had spent your energy on playing instead of fighting, you wouldn't be down 14-1 to begin with. So maybe you should go after the real culprits, and pound your lazy-ass teammates instead of the opponent who rightfully earned a big victory.

IkeaMonkey*

Hossa said:
You can never tell your players to stop playing, even if you're up by 13 goals. What you can do is start giving your lower ranking players more ice time. That's what the classy coaches do, give the fourth liners the first line ice time in a blow out. If they score, they score. No idea what Hunter did here, but you can never tell your players to stop playing.

Why cut first liners ice time??? They put in the effort to improve every day at practice. They have the skills. They are the leaders. You are basically punishing them for being skilled. You want your 4th liners to move up? Tell them to give more in practice and develop more as players.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Why cut first liners ice time??? They put in the effort to improve every day at practice. They have the skills. They are the leaders. You are basically punishing them for being skilled. You want your 4th liners to move up? Tell them to give more in practice and develop more as players.
How exactly do you expect your 4th liners (who are generally the youngest and least experienced players on the team) to develop more as players when their ice time is minimal at best?

IkeaMonkey*

Charlie_Girl49 said:
How exactly do you expect your 4th liners (who are generally the youngest and least experienced players on the team) to develop more as players when their ice time is minimal at best?

Prove yourself in practice. Prove yourself in scrimmages. Prove yourself to your coach. When you get your 4th line ice time, prove yourself then. Prove you are one of the best. Prove you are better than the guys ahead of you. It's not that hard.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
I saw that Anthony Stewart faught? did he win? was he trying to get his teams moral up?

PEli*

DynamoAO said:
Prove yourself in practice. Prove yourself in scrimmages. Prove yourself to your coach. When you get your 4th line ice time, prove yourself then. Prove you are one of the best. Prove you are better than the guys ahead of you. It's not that hard.

Ever play anything past midget a? From the way you're talking, I'd guess you haven't.

PEli*

DynamoAO said:
No, just prep in massachusetts.

Alright then. Prep is a bit different than real hockey. And by real I mean one step from pro. There isn't a lot of time to "prove yourself in practice" or "scrimmages." Fourth liners are the youngest players on a team in most cases. Therefore, they're the ones who need steady ice time to get their chances.

Cutting a top liner's icetime with a 10-1 lead isn't a punishment. It's spreading the time out with a lead. Nobody blows a 10-1 lead. Throw the prospects on the ice and give them some much needed development time. That's how it works.

All of this keeps a team competitive for years. So when your top liners get drafted to the NHL or are too old to play junior, you aren't left with a bunch of kids who average five minutes a game.

Good extreme: Gatineau Olympiques
Bad extreme: Acadie-Bathurst Titan

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's important to remember the junior level are designed to develop the players into the best kind of hockey players they can become. They are being trained to be professionals, to be competitive, and to be classy.

You have to weigh in professionalism vs. class. Would it be "classy" for a team to stop trying as hard as they can, while they are running up the score? In a way, yes. However, it's also classless if they stop treating the game like a competitive game, and to stop treating the competition/opponents, as professionals.

You also have to bear in mind that people paid to see the game. They may not have paid to see a blowout, but I'd much rather see one team try than to see both teams just throw the puck around, not trying.

And as a coach, you reward your players who have played well by giving them at least equal playing time as the rest of the team.

No excuse for holding back in a blowout. Sure, it's the nice thing, but the reasons to play your best far outweigh the reason to hold back.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Reilly311 said:
dumb coaching move to pad the score.

flyers guy said:
Classless to say the least.

You can sure tell some people didn't see the game at all.

Perry only saw about three shifts all third period long, and he happened to score on one of them. The third and fourth lines played almost the entire third. It's not London's fault when everything they throw at the net goes in, regardless of whether it's a lob from the point or a poke in front of the net.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
sec17 said:
You can sure tell some people didn't see the game at all.

Perry only saw about three shifts all third period long, and he happened to score on one of them. The third and fourth lines played almost the entire third. It's not London's fault when everything they throw at the net goes in, regardless of whether it's a lob from the point or a poke in front of the net.
That's what I was hoping to hear...... until now, no one said who played in the third period. If it was mostly the third and fourth lines, then there was no intent to 'run up the score', it just wasn't Kingston's day.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ryderama said:
come on.. they are kids... they want to improve their stats...

even if the coach told perry to calm down on his scorer, what do you think he'll do on the ice? The guy wants to improve his stats, so he'll go for the goal.

You're talking about 20 years old and under. I would do the same thing.

Did Gretzky stopped scoring when his team was leading 29-0 when he was a kid? come on.

yes they are kids, but being young isn't an excuse for lack of class either. i can't be too hard on them because they are just kids, but that doesn't make it right. and these guys all want to be nhlers in the next few years, well its never too early to act like professionals...

they have been so much better than everyone else this year it isn't even funny, but in the long run they will be far better survived by learning to act like professionals and win with class than padding their stats embarassing people...just like you can learn alot and become a better player from dealing with losing the right way, i think you can learn alot and become a better player from dealing with winning the right way...

and responsiblity for this falls on the coaches not the players. you can't blame them for not knowing better, but hunter does no better and he knows what would happen if you did that at the nhl level...hell hunter would be the first in line to knock your teeth down your throat if you did that against him.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
andora said:
it still applies, they should be playing properly, they are on a national stage, many are future pros (in some level), and there is also a question of respect and class...

fight you in the corner

Okay, I was at the game...every goal was amazing...I think 2 of the 14 weren't exciting to watch. Secondly, Hunter did play the third and forth lines a lot.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
NYR469 said:
yes they are kids, but being young isn't an excuse for lack of class either. i can't be too hard on them because they are just kids, but that doesn't make it right. and these guys all want to be nhlers in the next few years, well its never too early to act like professionals...

Hey, you want professionalism? Yell at the Kingston kids. They're the ones who didn't show up and act like professionals. It's a cruel world, and if they (collective they) don't want to show up to their job... or don't want to perform their job expectations, they deserve to be embarrassed by those who DO perform their job expectations. Maybe next time they'll decide to show up to avoid that embarrassment.

Should teams who are clearly winning the division, say, 43-4-2 also throw a game or two just because the next team is 19 points behind them in the Western Conference, and there should be more competition? Should Gretzky not have scored 894 goals, 1963 assists in his career because, frankly, there's a snowball's chance in hell of anyone catching that record? After all, if he was truly altruistic, he would have stopped before he passed his idol Gordie Howe's record.

Are things like that going to make you happy? You'd prefer people not try as hard so those who aren't as skilled/competitive have a chance to catch up? Doesn't sound like a sport, to me. Sounds like a movie script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad