Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Reilly311 said:
dumb coaching move to pad the score.
As long as the Hunters are in charge of the Knights, they will have a chip on their shoulder and strive to bully the entire league. If anything, it was bad coaching move by Hulton by letting his team get crushed by almost two touchdowns.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Anyone see this game?

Yes, it was quite the display, but it was also evident that Kingston never bothered showing up. Hated to see local product Dayne Davis (Kingston's goalie) hung out to dry in front of family and friends.

On a more positive note: Fritsche looks like he may have found a niche for himself on a line with Bolland, they were really clicking.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
come on.. they are kids... they want to improve their stats...

even if the coach told perry to calm down on his scorer, what do you think he'll do on the ice? The guy wants to improve his stats, so he'll go for the goal.

You're talking about 20 years old and under. I would do the same thing.

Did Gretzky stopped scoring when his team was leading 29-0 when he was a kid? come on.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
andora said:
then i would beat the piss out of you in a corner...

In a league like the NHL, no I wouldn't do that.

But in junior? Some guys will only have their stats as memories from their hockey days. Let them play and have fun. If the other team sucks, too bad...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
it still applies, they should be playing properly, they are on a national stage, many are future pros (in some level), and there is also a question of respect and class...

fight you in the corner

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
andora said:
it still applies, they should be playing properly, they are on a national stage, many are future pros (in some level), and there is also a question of respect and class...

fight you in the corner

Playing properly is to never let up.

The whole concept of not playing hard after a lead is just some new trend we've seen in the 90s.

It's just another one of those phenomenon that has kids who think they know hockey get their panties in a bunch when it's always been there.

I've got news for you, I know several NHLers who are oozing with class and have done just the same... at the NHL level. What do you think of that?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
andora said:
then i would beat the piss out of you in a corner...

Instead of doing that, you should have showed up for the ****ing game. If you're losing by that much, you're the one who didn't show up in the first place.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It applies in the NHL because it's the NHL players choose to make it so. If the junior players don't want to follow that principle, then it's their choice, not something that should be decided by unhappy fans. And I don't follow Juniors at all really, but I'd think the players would want to pad their stats as much as possible, to get more recognition from NHL scouts and improve their draft chances. There's also a much higher turnout rate of juniors teams compared to NHL, so its harder to hold a grudge.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Poor Brady Morrison. 5 goals against on 10 shots. :eek: And in only 11 minutes played. That's a GAA of around 30.00. :amazed:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If no one had ran up the score back during that now (in)famous Red Wings - Habs game then Roy would have never moved to Colorado. It's interesting, that by doing so, the wings have created one of the better rivalries of the past 10 years.

I don't get why hockey players should let up when they're leading by a good margin. What should they do when the other team doesn't show up, miss the net on purpose ? Some people are gonna say : it's called respecting your opponent. But why should the winning team have any respect for a team that doesn't show up. It's not Tim Bits hockey.

Plus there are fans out there who have paid for the tickets. It's already bad enough when one team doesn't show up that fans don't need to watch two teams coast until the game is over.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't know I kind of have a different view then some people. I feel that in the NHL the players are paid to perform. And thus if a team doesn't deside to show up then it's their fault and should be left to a drubbing like this one. However, most teams don't intentionally run up the score, but in some cases fringe guys are out there battling for their jobs and I doubt they care what the score is they still have to give it 100%.

No for this junior game, I don't buy the argument that their just kids. yeah maybe some of them are, but come on we're talking about mostly 18-20 year olds. I don't like the idea of running up the score in junior hockey, what does it prove anyway, but I didn't really see the game so i don't know if it was intentional or not.

On a side note, I can't believe the pressure London is going to be under to win the Memorial Cup this year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Bandwagoner said:
On a side note, I can't believe the pressure London is going to be under to win the Memorial Cup this year.

They are the favourites alright but Rimouski is putting up a really nice streak of their own. The new dman they got has really stabilized the defense, and Crosby seems on a tear.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
From the London Free Press:

Knights coach Dale Hunter rotated his four lines as the score mounted.

"You don't want to embarrass a team, but it was one of those things where everything went right," Hunter said. "We've got 9,000 people here and you've got to keep playing. I could have shut down all my top guys, but the fans came here to see them and I kept playing them, but I didn't overplay them."

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
From the London Free Press:

Knights coach Dale Hunter rotated his four lines as the score mounted.

"You don't want to embarrass a team, but it was one of those things where everything went right," Hunter said. "We've got 9,000 people here and you've got to keep playing. I could have shut down all my top guys, but the fans came here to see them and I kept playing them, but I didn't overplay them."

Everyone got equal icetime, even the4th liners had a few goals. So give it a rest on they tried to embarrass them. It just so happend that everything that touched Bolland and Perry's stick went in. They've been shooting out the lights all season and haven't scored as much as they should be. Maybe this is a sign of things to come, I don't know but they could have many more nights with a lot of goals.

And Schremp had 3 assists - to the person who said he didn't have any points.

oops i posted twice, disregard the first post.

scout46

Jun 2, 2002
Calgary
Give 100% all the time. Kingston players maybe should have been taken to the corner and had the piss knocked out of them.

Oh wait.... They did.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
They deserved to be embarrassed. Any team that doesn't feel like showing up at all should have the score ran up. You never quit in hockey, thats why the Canadians won gold this year verses Team Russia....In past years the let up and tried to play defense and Russians caught them.. Not saying that would happen in this case but not a good habbit to develop.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
They deserved to be embarrassed. Any team that doesn't feel like showing up at all should have the score ran up. You never quit in hockey, thats why the Canadians won gold this year verses Team Russia....In past years the let up and tried to play defense and Russians caught them.. Not saying that would happen in this case but not a good habbit to develop.

agree 100%, you must play the full 60 minutes the same whether your up 14-1 or down 14-1. its part of the integrity of sports, you play hard the entire game. if not you look like Vince Carter, now the most hated man in Toronto :mad:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Vlad The Impaler said:
Playing properly is to never let up.

The whole concept of not playing hard after a lead is just some new trend we've seen in the 90s.

It's just another one of those phenomenon that has kids who think they know hockey get their panties in a bunch when it's always been there.

I've got news for you, I know several NHLers who are oozing with class and have done just the same... at the NHL level. What do you think of that?

well if the other team obviously has nothing on that given night, which is obviously what happened, why the need for 14-1.. i understand the never let up and agree, but up to a certain point.. 7-1, 8-1, even 9-1.. but when a team is as bad as kingston apparently was... it just seems silly..

which instances are you talking about in the nhl with similar scores? there was that washington / florida one i think, but other than that in the past several years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->