Logo/Colors/rebranding

dukebluedynasty

Mar 1, 2018
For 20 years I’ve been a Canes fan and for 20 years I’ve despised our logos. I’m not alone- the Canes logo is universally and consistently rated as one of, if not THE worst in sports. Both the toilet bowl logo and the “tropical depression” alternate need to go. Love the warning flags tho and really like how the tone on tone look of the new home jerseys.

As for the colors, I realize they agreed on the red bc of NCSU but that’s an easy fix now. If state’s playing use their colors on the scoreboard, ribbons and lighting. Then use a neutral color for the seats, etc.. So many NHL teams have the red/black scheme. Why not green and blue? It’s looks great on the ice and gives a nod to the club’s history.

I say this last (bc it’s a pipe dream) but it would be cool to drop Carolina for NC. Not North Carolina but NC. It’s different, original and more appropriate. When naming the panthers Richardson actually chose Carolina for a reason. Charlotte’s close to SC and Richardson grew up in Spartanburg. He intentionally shaped the panther logo like the 2 states.

Anyway, I’m interested to see what you guys think. Should TD make any of the above changes? Will he? I haven’t heard him say anything about it. Haven’t heard anyone ask him either.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
The red & black color scheme comes from the National Weather Services red & black flags that signifies a Hurricane or Tropical Storm is coming, it didn't come from NC State. I'll pass on the blue & green Whaler colors. But I am for bringing the Storm Flag Logo back.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'd bring the flag logo back, which I do think is the better logo, but I like our colors, they make a lot of sense given the team name. As for the main logo, it's a fine logo. It's rated poorly in polls because hockey fans aren't voting on the aesthetics most of the time, they're voting on the history and nostalgia. The Red Wings logo is objectively rather shitty. Yet it gets ranked highly because it's been around for nearly a century. The Bruins logo is rated much more highly than the Dallas one, despite their being very similar in concept. What's the difference? Age and latitude.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be fine if they decided to make the flag a primary logo at some point. And I never wanted the flags taken off the jerseys. I'm glad they're at least somewhat back. That being said, I really like our current primary logo, and I don't give a crap what any poll says about that. I like our color scheme too, but I did really like the way the black set looked.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Believe it or not, I remember someone telling me that when the franchise first moved here, they were thinking about using teal for their primary color but quickly nixed it as to not look like copying the Charlotte Hornets. This was when "Ice Hogs" was seriously considered as a possible name.

As for NC Canes, absolutely not. We're at a point where our new owner is open to any and all ideas to market this team and hopefully that will soon include giving a nod or two to our friends in the Palmetto state. We may not have a lot of support from that state, but why potentially piss off the ones we do have? I think North Carolina FC will one day drop the 'North' in their name and just become Carolina FC, especially if one day they make the jump to the MLS. Plus, does NC Canes not sound rather amateurish to you guys? It sounds like something a kids travel team would call themselves.

The most likely significant rebrand change would be that of a new logo, or using the flags.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Believe it or not, I remember someone telling me that when the franchise first moved here, they were thinking about using teal for their primary color but quickly nixed it as to not look like copying the Charlotte Hornets. This was when "Ice Hogs" was seriously considered as a possible name.

As for NC Canes, absolutely not. We're at a point where our new owner is open to any and all ideas to market this team and hopefully that will soon include giving a nod or two to our friends in the Palmetto state. We may not have a lot of support from that state, but why potentially piss off the ones we do have? I think North Carolina FC will one day drop the 'North' in their name and just become Carolina FC, especially if one day they make the jump to the MLS. Plus, does NC Canes not sound rather amateurish to you guys? It sounds like something a kids travel team would call themselves.

The most likely significant rebrand change would be that of a new logo, or using the flags.

200.gif

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Expanded use of the secondary logo and of the flag design (put it on the pants and socks for f***s sake) is about as far as I'd go on the rebranding. I know it's not technically a Hurricane Warning flag (though it is a Hurricane Watch flag as well as a Storm Warning flag) but all the ideas with 2 of the flags on it look absolutely ridiculous compared to that logo.

And yes, nostalgia is a big reason that a lot of people don't care for the Canes logo, not to mention that the Whalers logo legitimately was a classic. But you can't look at the Canes logo and then look at any of the Canucks logos and definitively tell me that ours is worse. It's not a total home run but it's certainly better then the current Panthers, current Sens, and literally every Canucks or Ducks logo that have been used.

dukebluedynasty

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I really like the alternate too. The same version with 2 flags would suit me. As for the crest I hope he at least freshens it up a bit. Like the panthers did with their logo a few years back. I’ve heard next year’s black alternates are going to be sick! Can’t wait to see them and glad to have them back.

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I really like the alternate too. The same version with 2 flags would suit me. As for the crest I hope he at least freshens it up a bit. Like the panthers did with their logo a few years back. I’ve heard next year’s black alternates are going to be sick! Can’t wait to see them and glad to have them back.

That's interesting to hear. I haven't heard anything about them. I didn't even know they were bringing back alternates this soon.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
everyone likes cinnamon buns, that's the point

This has actually been the cause of a fight in my family for close to 40 years. I was born right before Christmas (Mom went into labor decorating the tree.) and that 1st Christmas, she made cinnamon buns...so now, every Christmas morning she makes cinnamon buns and nobody is allowed to open presents until all 2 doz. cinnamon buns are gone and everybody must have at-least one.

I hate cinnamon buns. (I intensely loathe baked sweets entirely.) I refuse to eat even one...and mom is headstrong. I've caused Christmas to be delayed hours refusing to eat them. Now, I use slight of hand...I take one and covertly hand it off to my wife; I "eat" one but nobody ever sees me eating one.

I see nothing wrong with our logo, colors, name or branding...though I think making a team association with the storm-flags by handing them out at games, selling them in the team store, encouraging fans to bring them to games--would be an amazing way to create energy in the stands, have fun and create a fan-identity prop. It's a way better idea than Steelers fans with their idiotic towels. Embrace the storm flags!

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
For 20 years I’ve been a Canes fan and for 20 years I’ve despised our logos. I’m not alone- the Canes logo is universally and consistently rated as one of, if not THE worst in sports. Both the toilet bowl logo and the “tropical depression” alternate need to go. Love the warning flags tho and really like how the tone on tone look of the new home jerseys.

As for the colors, I realize they agreed on the red bc of NCSU but that’s an easy fix now. If state’s playing use their colors on the scoreboard, ribbons and lighting. Then use a neutral color for the seats, etc.. So many NHL teams have the red/black scheme. Why not green and blue? It’s looks great on the ice and gives a nod to the club’s history.

No. God...no. As a die-hard Canes and Whalers fan and someone working to return the NHL to Hartford...I would like nothing more than if the Canes decided to purge that part of the team history from the identity. If the Whalers return to Hartford...that team will have nothing to do with this franchise.

No to "Whalers throwback" nights. No to trying to incorporate parts of the Whalers identity into uniforms or the on-ice product of the Canes. No to Brass Bonanza at Canes games. No to exhibitions in Hartford (or elsewhere in CT). No to Canes jerseys in Whalers colors. No to changing the team colors to green and blue.

It's time for some people to let it go already.

dukebluedynasty

Mar 1, 2018
Poster named dukebluedynasty asks about color change.

Whatever, man.

Awww did I hurt somebodies feelings? I’m sorry Hank! Is it wrong to post on my first day or is something wrong with my username? It’s the username isn’t it? I bet that’s it! So who’s your team, State or UNC and what’s your opinion on color change?

Azor Aho! Now that’s an awesome username. You should get a jersey with that stitched across the back! Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Azor Aho! Now that’s an awesome username. You should get a jersey with that stitched across the back! Well done.

Thanks. I enjoy your username as well as a long time fan. Hopefully you'll wear it better than another poster around here. And even though I don't find all of your ideas intriguing, and may not subscribe to your news letter, I think there was nothing wrong with all that being your first post. Welcome aboard.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Expanded use of the secondary logo and of the flag design (put it on the pants and socks for ****s sake) is about as far as I'd go on the rebranding. I know it's not technically a Hurricane Warning flag (though it is a Hurricane Watch flag as well as a Storm Warning flag) but all the ideas with 2 of the flags on it look absolutely ridiculous compared to that logo.

And yes, nostalgia is a big reason that a lot of people don't care for the Canes logo, not to mention that the Whalers logo legitimately was a classic. But you can't look at the Canes logo and then look at any of the Canucks logos and definitively tell me that ours is worse. It's not a total home run but it's certainly better then the current Panthers, current Sens, and literally every Canucks or Ducks logo that have been used.

If you think the Canes logo is better than the Mighty Ducks logo [MOD]. The “Ducks” logos sure are trash though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad